Am I ready to take a "Before" Picture??

Options
I am trying to psyche myself up to take a "before" picture. Knowing that I have a long way to go, it would be nice to see progress a few months from now.
Anyone have either mental suggestions or practical suggestions??
I'm no photographer.

Thanks.
Donna

Replies

• JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    No tips, but I wish I had a good before shot, and I don't. Mirror selfies are what I take now, or ask my husband. Definitely do it. In. A bikini or sports bra and shorts, or underpants and a bra, to really notice the progress.
  • p_s1984
    p_s1984 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Dress in tighter fitting workout clothes, stand in front of a full length mirror and snap away. I take pictures once every two weeks to motivate myself :) Good luck!!
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    Just take them. If you don't want to look at them, don't. Put them away for future reference. You'll be glad you did.
  • jenibutcher
    jenibutcher Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I agree with the above, full length mirror and a swimsuit or shorts and sports bra, you don't need to share it at all, or you can share it when you reach your goal! It might be helpful for moments when you're not feeling very motivated, to compare it to yourself so you get that boost of enthusiasm! :)
  • Asherah29
    Asherah29 Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    You should totally take them. Sure your going to cringe and think how awful they look, but here in a few months where you hit a point you really feel like you haven't gone much of anywhere it will be time to pull out the camera again, take new pictures and compare. If you stick with diet and exercise I promise you will be amazed by the difference you see.
  • Galatea_Stone
    Galatea_Stone Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    If you have a friend or loved one who can help, take 3 photos. Take a front facing photo, a photo of your back, and a profile. Try to take full length if you can. Keep your arms hanging at your sides if you can. Don't pull in, just stand as you normally would.

Wear tight fitting gym clothes or some other outfit that is tight fitting. If you can, take progress photos in the same clothing or same color. Wear dark colors against a light wall or vice versa.

I didn't take these and I REALLY wish I had.
  • giggitygoo
    giggitygoo Posts: 1,978 Member
    Options
    Take them, store them away and come back to them after you've reached an interval goal to compare your progress.

The key is TAKE THEM NOW! I'm so sad that I didn't have the guts to take a proper before picture.
  • bcf7683
    bcf7683 Posts: 1,653 Member
    Options
    I SO wish I would've. I started this whole "health" thing on a whim about 3 years ago, and now it's just another integrated part of my life, like going to work everyday.

I saw a pic from the waist up of me from about 4 years ago and I was shocked. I lost a total of 30 lbs (before gaining some back from lifting for a couple years) but some days it doesn't feel like much of a difference at all. I know that my body is wayyy different now than it was then, but it would be nice to have the evidence.

Just do it. You'll be happy you did a year from now. :smile:
  • 135OHK
    135OHK Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Check your camera, most newer ones have a timer so you can take a 'selfie'. That's how I did mine. It allows me 10 seconds to get to my spot to pose, then it takes it. Plus I can decide it I want to keep it or discard it and take another when I check the picture on the screen. Do it.....you will be glad you did later when you lose all the weight. Not that I have....lol. But even 20 pounds can make a difference in the way you look and feel. I am a long way from goal, but I don't want to go back to what my 'before' picture looks like!
  • giggitygoo
    giggitygoo Posts: 1,978 Member
    Options
    You should also do a google search on how to set up the self timer feature of your camera. There's a step by step for every camera somewhere on the internet. Just search the make and model.
  • caroldavison332
    caroldavison332 Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    Take a photo in closely fitting clothing you will be able to wear throughout your journey. This way you and I will be able to see the difference and be motivated. :):):)
  • sbouc16
    sbouc16 Posts: 6
    Options
    I just used an old digital camera that I no longer use. Set the 10sec timer and snapped about 7 photos in differnet veiws.

Front relaxed
    Front sucking in as much as possible
    Front sticking out as much as possible
    Side view relaxed
    Front sucking in as much as possible
    Front sticking out as much as possible
    Muscle flex view

I put the camera hidden away and haven't looked at it since. I can't wait to take after pictures

Take the pictures as soon as you can, they will be great motivatiors knowing you will compare the before and after. I find it helps set a "deadline" (I took these pictures, I have to be able to compare them to something, I must continue)
  • GhostGIrl66
    Options
    Oh how I wish I'd taken that photo! Trying to get into a pair of jeans that I couldn't even get the button together missing by several centimeters. They are now my baggy jeans. I suppose I'll just have to hang onto them instead of a photo.
    GG
  • Buff2022
    Buff2022 Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    My before is the one I used before I joined Dietbet. I will do another at 30 lb. Only because I have pictures from losing 30lb. Then monthly after that.
  • andreyadonna
    Options
    Do it, I think It's the best measure of success. No scale can tell you how sexy you are. Comparing the pre-change and post-change photos will be the best indicator. And a Mirror and smart phone are all anyone really needs. Print that sucker out and stick it on your fridge. Or if you don't like it, hide it in an envelop at the bottom of your junk drawer.