"Stockpiling Calories"??

Options
2»

Replies

• kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    Seems like a binging practice. I don't think it is healthy mentally. I also don't agree with the "treat yourself" or "cheat day" mentality.

I agree with the comment above.

I disagree. I have a daily calorie deficit that allows me to lose a set amount of weight per week by cutting my daily calories by 500 calories. If I know I have a social event one week where I'm going to be eating a bunch of foods not in my normal routine, how is planning for the additional calories from those foods unhealthy mentally? By eating a little less in the days prior to the event or, gasp, throwing in an extra workout or two, I've created plenty of wiggle room that will allow me to enjoy myself that night and not completely blow my deficit for the week.

People who look at it from the standpoint of a weekly average do not starve themselves or eat very little during the week, then blow it all on a binge one day. If you think that's what it is about, then you don't understand how it works. It's more along the lines of "eating 50-100 calories less each day will net me 300-600 calories, so I could have wine and dessert with my otherwise on-target meal" or "two extra zumba classes this week and not eating those calories back will ensure that I can hit the buffet and just eyeball portion sizes at my sister's wedding, and either see no change in weight or lose a little less."

Doing this is no different then hitting the gym for an extra hard workout the day after going over calories, it's just planning on the front end instead of trying to undo damage after the fact. For some people, going over on calories is a shrug and move on thing; other people like to figure out a way to work those inevitable calorie-heavy days into their lives and still stay on track with their weight loss.
  • MyFoodGod
    MyFoodGod Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Know Thyself.

Age, eating history, metabolism, etc. can all play a role in our weight loss. I don't think there is one right answer.
  • DrJenO
    DrJenO Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    I do weekly calories - I'm like the poster above that said they can't always eat all of their exercise calories each day.

If you use the phone app, there is a heading called "nutrition" (that you can also get to from the diary - click on the little pie graph @ the bottom right) that will show you weekly calories (there is a daily and a weekly @ the bottom left once you are on nutrition)

This only works if you are BRUTALLY honest w/ your tracking t/o the week.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I searched this topic, but couldn't find exactly what I'm looking for. I hear people say that you can take unused calories that you haven't eaten through the week and use them on a single day, for whatever reason (Say Friday happy hour or something). They say this is "legit" and "withing the rules" so to speak. Does this sound right to you? To me it seems contrary to the way your body works, that if you eat it all at once you will store more fat compared to if you had spread the calories out for the week. Whatcha think?

If you are in a calorie deficit you cannot store the fat, so it doesn't matter from that standpoint.

My issue with this would be purely from a training standpoint. Dieting and training simultaneously is already pretty hard on your body...further depriving your body of nutrition to stock pile calories for later would pretty much negate your training session...bye bye fitness gains.
  • eatspopcorn
    eatspopcorn Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I think its a personal preference. If you plan for it, the end result will most likely stay in your favor rather than not planning, slipping and going so far over your daily goal that you lose any progress you made before.

I don't personally practice this, but I'm glad the math works out this way. A few days ago I had a really bad day and ate about 800 kcals over my limit. I was able to burn those through exercise but also because looking at it from a week standpoint I was still in a deficit, I still lost 2lbs over that week period.

If I did regularly incorporate a 'cheat day', I would probably consider it the start of my week though. Weighing in officially once a week, I wouldn't want my weigh-in to be the day after heavy calories. I retain water like a beast if I consume too much sodium!
  • eatspopcorn
    eatspopcorn Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    If you use the phone app, there is a heading called "nutrition" (that you can also get to from the diary - click on the little pie graph @ the bottom right) that will show you weekly calories (there is a daily and a weekly @ the bottom left once you are on nutrition)

I did not know this existed! Thank you!
  • AwesomeGuy37
    AwesomeGuy37 Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    Seems like a binging practice. I don't think it is healthy mentally. I also don't agree with the "treat yourself" or "cheat day" mentality.

I agree with the comment above.

I disagree. I have a daily calorie deficit that allows me to lose a set amount of weight per week by cutting my daily calories by 500 calories. If I know I have a social event one week where I'm going to be eating a bunch of foods not in my normal routine, how is planning for the additional calories from those foods unhealthy mentally? By eating a little less in the days prior to the event or, gasp, throwing in an extra workout or two, I've created plenty of wiggle room that will allow me to enjoy myself that night and not completely blow my deficit for the week.

People who look at it from the standpoint of a weekly average do not starve themselves or eat very little during the week, then blow it all on a binge one day. If you think that's what it is about, then you don't understand how it works. It's more along the lines of "eating 50-100 calories less each day will net me 300-600 calories, so I could have wine and dessert with my otherwise on-target meal" or "two extra zumba classes this week and not eating those calories back will ensure that I can hit the buffet and just eyeball portion sizes at my sister's wedding, and either see no change in weight or lose a little less."

Doing this is no different then hitting the gym for an extra hard workout the day after going over calories, it's just planning on the front end instead of trying to undo damage after the fact. For some people, going over on calories is a shrug and move on thing; other people like to figure out a way to work those inevitable calorie-heavy days into their lives and still stay on track with their weight loss.

The obsession you have with numbers is unhealthy mentally.
  • bestmeicanbe84
    bestmeicanbe84 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I've noticed that I was doing this unintentionally. I'm just naturally hungrier on the weekends or a little more spontaneous. I usually have some calories left over during the week so I use them on the weekends. So far it has not hindered my weight loss.
  • eyecandyrayce
    eyecandyrayce Posts: 260 Member
    Options

Are you a psychiatrist? I really do get sick of seeing people on this site tell other people they are mentally unhealthy. It's almost abusive. You are deciding someone has a flaw and you are pointing it out to them when you have no background on them at all.

We are counting calories. That is the entire purpose of MFP. It is about numbers.
  • David_AUS
    David_AUS Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    From personal experience - You can generally swing calories over a 48 hour period (if you know you are heading to a "big night" - as long as the ig night is not excessive alcohol as this really knocks fat loss around) you can "save" calories over a short period. The "over a week" fits into the cheat/treat day mentality - early in weight loss my personal preference is once every 10 days (so stretch to two weeks) and you can have a day where calories are twice what you normally would have and still see good weigh loss overall.

This "binge battle" I will call it for want of a better term is more psychological (break) than physiological - The laws of physics still apply that over all weight change is based on the simple formula Energy in = Energy out - as long as on average overall your are in calorie deficit you will lose weight (pending your exercise / activity this will be primarily from a combination of fat and muscle and retained water).
  • AwesomeGuy37
    AwesomeGuy37 Posts: 436 Member
    Options

Are you a psychiatrist? I really do get sick of seeing people on this site tell other people they are mentally unhealthy. It's almost abusive. You are deciding someone has a flaw and you are pointing it out to them when you have no background on them at all.

We are counting calories. That is the entire purpose of MFP. It is about numbers.

Out of context much? I was asked a question and I answered it. Stick to your own arguments.
    And I do have 1.5 years of psychology credits, but it doesn't mean anything.
    I do hope you don't say the same things to someone trying to help an anorexic person over their fear of calories.
  • RaspberryKeytoneBoondoggle
    Options
    I did this when I was losing, but the other way around. I would over eat on Monday and then reduce calories by the amount I overate for the next three days. It worked, I lost. You can average out over the week. Just track carefully and make sure you eat enough to fuel your run or whatever you need.
  • katrishamaile
    katrishamaile Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I agree. Everyday I eat good food. I refuse to only eat bland, boring foods. Some days I want to indulge in larger portions of those delicious foods, so I attempt to accomodate it, but that doesn't always work within my calorie constraints. So I have a "cheat day" and have what I want. The next day I pick up the torch and continue on. So far that has worked well for me. And I don't feel like I'm depraved of what I love and therefore I'm more likely to stay on track.

Something that I have to really get onto myself to continue is, no matter what I eat, I still have to log it in my journal. It may look like a crazy tower in the middle of my monthly net calorie chart, but I do it.
  • MyFoodGod
    MyFoodGod Posts: 184 Member
    Options

Out of context much? I was asked a question and I answered it. Stick to your own arguments.
    And I do have 1.5 years of psychology credits, but it doesn't mean anything.
    I do hope you don't say the same things to someone trying to help an anorexic person over their fear of calories.

You can't control the answers you're going to get from a public forum. Ask your doctor or other professional if you only want to hear from "qualified" professionals.

Here you take what you like and leave the rest.
  • b0nnyd0g
    b0nnyd0g Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I think that as we are on here we are likely to be counting calories and therefore very aware of our daily intake. I would imagine that people who don't count calories just have varying amounts every day and don't worry about it. I wish I could be less obsessive too :)
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    I think that as we are on here we are likely to be counting calories and therefore very aware of our daily intake. I would imagine that people who don't count calories just have varying amounts every day and don't worry about it. I wish I could be less obsessive too :)

I see three distinct segments here, those that do no phys so have to be slaves to the numbers, those who are zealots about macros, so similar applies, and those who use this to inform decision making.

A lot seems to be driven by the outcomes one seeks. Is it purely weight loss, fitness, competitive results?

For me, obsessing over numbers is pointless as there are so many variables in play.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options

I'm not sure what (s)he does for a living. I, on the other hand, am an engineer. I was going to post almost the same exact thing as him/her. For me, it's not an obsession with numbers - it's my job, and as such, my livelihood. There's nothing unhealthy about it. It's just the way my mind works. eta:And I've always liked math, so it comes easily to me.

Were I trying to analyze people over the internet, I'd guess that you simply aren't good with math. Of course, since I don't actually know you, it would be silly and inappropriate for me to do so. So I won't.
  • Shuuma
    Shuuma Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    Seeing all these different approaches is fascinating for me. I've got a horrible relationship with food and, while my outlook on it has changed mentally (for the most part), I clearly cannot be trusted without being rigorous in my attention to calories and macros. Old habits die hard, after all.

It's my goal to have a normal view of portions one day and not need to be so accountable on paper for what I eat. But, for now, I'm quite happy keeping to a pretty regimented form of keeping track of my food intake. After all, it's working now. What I did before never worked.

I'm very thankful for all the knowledge that shows up here.