Best Protein Powder

Options

Replies

• Orion782
    Orion782 Posts: 391
    Options
    Good Lord, protein has come a LONG way since my High School days. Ish tasted like ish back then, didn't matter what you mixed it with...

They are all pretty good these days. I currently use MuscleTech's 100% Premium Whey Protein because it tastes great, mixes good, and is only $34 for a 5lb bag. Also has BCAA's in it, which is a plus. Deluxe Chocolate is where it's at.

I had previously used some of BSN's stuff in Strawberry flavor. Tasted good, but was pretty pricey unless you could catch it on sale.
  • raindawg
    raindawg Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    I drink Optimum Nutrition 100% Gold Standard Whey extreme milk chocolate and it tastes just like drinking chocolate milk to me. And I'm only using water with it. Once I hit maintenance mode I'll switch to using milk. 8 oz of water per 1 scoop is the perfect mix for me.
  • PumpJockeyy
    PumpJockeyy Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    cellucor protein
  • douglasedward
    douglasedward Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    If you are looking for something to add to recipes without adding flavor, try Isopure Unflavored. I've been adding it to all sorts of things and rarely would you know it's there.
  • golfmanwl
    golfmanwl Posts: 69
    Options
    Just recently tried the Trutein sample pack, and for the ones I've tried it seems to taste the best and mix the best. Right now, I'm using up the last of what I already have:

- Body Fortress (from Walmart), doesn't always mix the best and foams up like crazy, has a bit of an odd taste, flavors used are Strawberry, Vanilla, Cookies & Creme

- Muscle Milk (from Costco) , seems to mix okay, foams up just a bit, but doesn't foam up nearly as much as the Body Fortress, and has a great flavor of Banana Creme (that smells so incredibly good) that came in a two pack with a Graham Cracker flavor that is also good. I mix one scoop of the banana creme with two tbsp of Chocolate PB2, add in one small banana and you wouldn't believe how tasty it is. Taste like one of those chocolate covered bananas with peanuts pieces on it.

- Syntrax Nectar - (from nutrition store), not a real big fan. Foams up, has that protein powder-ish taste, and so so on mixing up. Have tried Vanilla Bean Torte (was my fave of what I tried of theirs), Caribbean Cooler, and Cherry. Cherry is the only one I have left, and didn't really like it or the Caribbean Cooler very much. Tried them with water, tried them with milk...just could never get them to taste very good.

I just got the Muscle Milk recently to try since it's so easy to get from Costco. Only problem there is how dependent can they be in continuing to have it. I'll probably stick with it since it's currently easy to get and probably priced better since it's from Costco. However, if the Trutein was more readably available and not more expensive, it would be my go to protein powder. They have lots of good flavors (including the banana one I like the best), and they are probably a little higher quality overall (my guess).
  • ashleycde
    ashleycde Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    My boyfriend bought a big-*kitten* (I mean, really big-*kitten*) tub of Isoflex Whey Protein Isolate in chocolate flavour (with chips. but honestly they just sit at the bottom of the cup and I don't bother to fish for them). It's a light chocolate taste, but it does taste like real chocolate, and I prefer that it's not overwhelmingly sweet or flavoured. Tastes great with half a cup of almond milk, and mixes well with just a couple of shakes of a lidded cup.
  • Citrislazer
    Citrislazer Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    Syntrax, Nectar: Vanilla Bean Torte or Chocolate Truffle. Yum! Amazon is the cheapest place to find it. I've never had issues with it foaming. I mix it with almond milk and water, in a cup, with a fork since it mixes easily.
  • VegasFit
    VegasFit Posts: 1,232 Member
    Options
    Another vote for Optimum. I also like Dymatize, Isopure and BSN syntha 6. I would go to a nutrition store and ask for some samples and then shop around for the best price.
  • traceleann
    traceleann Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the input, guys! There are so many options that I didn't even know about. I'm going with Optimum Nutrition chocolate for my first order and I'll probably try some more when that's gone. A friend also suggested V Core chocolate or orange creamsicle if anyone is looking for something new. Not available on Amazon though. I had to do a google search for it.
  • TravisZeta
    Options
    I love Optimum Nutrition Chocolate Supreme casein! Taste and texture is awesome.
  • queenjane1023
    queenjane1023 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Right now I'm using Dymatize Elite 7 rich chocolate shake and it is delicious. I only mix it with water so I'm sure if you were going to add milk or anything it would be even better.
  • EJsMummy26
    EJsMummy26 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    We've bought Syntrax, Nectar: Chocolate Truffle or Strawberry Kiwi. We use it in our morning smoothies/shakes and add spinach and other great yummy healthy items. We buy ours at the VitaminShoppe. We use unsweetened Almond Milk or Water. The chocolate with water tastes like chocolate milk, but not overly sweet. We add PB2 and Banana for a real treat.
  • CipherZero
    CipherZero Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    My roundup

ON Double chocolate and Extreme chocolate are... okay. You'll be sick of them before the tubs are empty. Mixes well in water, milk, and almond milk.

Dymatize Elite Fudge Brownie is godly. Mixed with everything, but tends to be thicker than any of the others.

Wheytech Protech 24 banana & chocolate are both kind of weak flavors and suitable prety much for blending. The banana is great with orange juice, yogurts, and puddings.

Body Fortress vanilla - the worst of the lot. It has a gritty texture that'll never go away no matter what you do with it. Very obvious artifical flavor.
  • rejectuf
    rejectuf Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    Smartpowders/Scivation has been my go-to for a long time. It's about 2$/lb cheaper than most non-junk brands when comparing the 5lb sizes. It tastes good, mixes fine, and the company put out lab tests proving it has the correct amount of protein listed.

ON is incredibly high quality, but honestly just too pricey for me.

God bless you if you can handle Body Fortress. I can't stand the flavor of it. I don't like that it mixes in Creatine. I want to be the one who doses my creatine so I know exactly how much I'm getting in each drink.
  • traceleann
    traceleann Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I think the only kind I've had before was the Body Fortress - YUCK!
  • katrat13
    katrat13 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I mainly use NOW foods unflavored pea protein. It has a slightly nutty flavor, but I love it in my smoothies!
  • beertrollruss
    beertrollruss Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Optimum Nutrition and BSN's Syntha-6 mix really well. They also offer a wide variety of flavors. I used Optimum Nutrition for a long time but switched to BSN because Optimum does not show potassium content.

You may want to compare prices of your local stores to bodybuilding.com or nutritionexpress.com. You may be able to order sample packets from these sites to find one you like.
  • sarahliftsUP
    sarahliftsUP Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    I used to be a big fan of Vega Choc-a-lot but ordered Shakeology to give a try and now I'm hooked. The chocolate shakeology is amazing, I want to try the other flavours, but that with pb and banana with almond milk tastes like a milkshake.
  • Howdoyoufeeltoday
    Howdoyoufeeltoday Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    Optimum Nutrition 100% Gold Standard Whey

Right now is leading protein powder,

How does one rate a protein powder ?

- Mix-ability
    - Flavor
    - Nutritional Profile

As for flavors hands down the best is "extreme milk chocolate " and going in a close second is mocha

Most supplements are BS but if you are going to spend money DONT SKIM ON WHEY PROTEIN

Pretty much this and everyone else who said ON. They have awesome flavours!
  • GuyIncognito123
    GuyIncognito123 Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    I like the Body Fortress (chocolate as well as chocolate with peanut butter). I mix it with water and it mixes good.
    It's whey protein (soy protein gives me body rashes), each scoop has 130 cals and 3 grams of carbs.
    It tastes good too.... and chocolate twice a day, you can't beat that.