Do you spin? I have and the seat is killing me! Help

Options
Okay so I have done 4 spin classes at my gym now. The darn hard little tiny seats are killing me! No matter how I try to sit I am in major discomfort/pain. About half way through the class all I can think of is how much it hurts! For a few days after I feel like someone punched me in the crotch and have bruises on each side of my crotch! How can I alleviate this pain! I love the spin class other than that...

Replies

• Joannesmith2818
    Joannesmith2818 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    It used to hurt my butt but it got used to it after severl weeks!
  • smanning1982
    smanning1982 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I saw on Ebay I can buy silicone seat covers, but will I look totally stupid walking in and slipping on a padded seat? LOL
  • sportyredhead01
    sportyredhead01 Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    http://www.amazon.com/Canari-Liner-Cycling-Short-Womens/dp/B001K52Q5Q/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1394137576&sr=8-1&keywords=women's+cycling+shorts+liner

These saved me! :drinker:

Oh and p.s. I just wore them under running shorts and they don't give you that poofy butt look.
  • sfbaumgarten
    sfbaumgarten Posts: 912 Member
    Options
    I eventually got used to it, but I can't remember how many classes it took... You should be able to buy some sort of padded cover for the seat.
  • goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    Options
    Invest in some bike shorts. They make a world of difference.
  • nihhhfg
    nihhhfg Posts: 6
    Options
    i
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Options
    nope covers are awesome, you might make everyone else jealous though :wink:

you will get more used to it too though

either way do whatever keeps you spinning :smile:
  • giggitygoo
    giggitygoo Posts: 1,978 Member
    Options
    Is your resistance high enough? You shouldn't be bouncing around on the seat, even at your fastest flat road pace.

Also, your butt will just get used to it after about a week, and you wont have tush pain anymore.
  • morganmoore86
    Options
    You just have to let your butt muscles get used to it. They will build up and it won't hurt as much. However even when I was spinning twice a week it still hurt when I initially got on the bike, but then it didn't bother me. I think the longer you do it, and the more you do it, the less it will hurt.

Way to go!
  • SARgirl
    SARgirl Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    Buy padded shorts! I love my Pearl Izumi!
  • Briargrey
    Briargrey Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    I saw on Ebay I can buy silicone seat covers, but will I look totally stupid walking in and slipping on a padded seat? LOL

I haven't done spinning in awhile, but when I did, there were a couple hardcore people who did it all the time and brought in their own seat covers to help. And there were always the instructors who you knew didn't believe in using the seat much -- those were the hours when I longed for my butt being sore from the seat because my quads were sore from standing. Heh.

I'm actually going to my first spin class in years tomorrow morning....my buttocks are having pre-emptive pains at the thought.
  • smelius22
    smelius22 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    I experienced that too! My gym provided seat covers thank goodness but you could try riding shorts. they're awesome, I even use them while snowboarding because I spent most of my time on my butt lol.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    Yes, I spin and I cycle...on Sundays I can be gone for hours on my bike.

You should wear cycling shorts for starters. Beyond that, it's just time in the saddle. Use that pain as an excuse to go up to position 2 or 3 and climb to give your *kitten* a rest...
  • Leadfoot_Lewis
    Leadfoot_Lewis Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    -Shorts w/chamois
    -Make sure your bike is set up properly.
  • Erin_goBrahScience
    Erin_goBrahScience Posts: 1,215 Member
    Options
    The gym I went to used to offer a padded seat cushions to new people. It helps a little but it still hurts at first. Eventually you just get used to it and it really just stops hurting. I also noticed as I went forward I put less of my weight on the seat. Like when you start you are sitting and when you really start doing it you are mainly using it for support and balance.
  • smanning1982
    smanning1982 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I had NO idea there was even such a thing as bike shorts that has padding down there to help with discomfort! I will definitely buy a pair and maybe even pair it with the padded bike seat. Yes, it hurts me that bad! LOL I appreciate everyones input!
  • JuzDuIt
    JuzDuIt Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    took about a month but your tush will get used to it!
  • alathIN
    alathIN Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    One more vote for all of the following:
    1) lots of people use seat covers. At my gym they have a few for people to use, also some people bring in their own.
    2) you will get used to it. The stronger your butt gets, the more you will like a small saddle because the big padded ones and seat covers can actually get in your way
    3) bike shorts made for the purpose - they should fit TIGHT. If you don't feel at least slightly embarrassed wearing them, you're probably wearing the wrong size.
    4) get the instructor to make sure your bike is set up to fit you
  • loubidy
    loubidy Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    I went once, the only thing that hurt after was my butt. Never again I just changed exercise.
  • DirrtyH
    DirrtyH Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    You will get used to it. I was in pain for at least two weeks (four or five classes), but then it got better. Now I don't feel it at all. That's with no extra padding other than my own squishy bum. Just power through, and get out of the saddle when you need to. No one's going to judge you.