Newbie at lifting, need advice

Options
Sorry for the long and boring post. I'm a little lost. Here goes:

I am 5'8", started at 192 lbs, currently at 176 lbs. I have a large frame, and measure 41-32-43. My goal weight is in the 140-150 lbs range. I don't lift heavy, never have. But I want to start now. I'm a 24 year old girl, and have no physical problems that would hinder me from lifting heavy.

I have questions, though:

Is there such a thing as being 'too fat' to lift heavy?? I tried joining my local gym (work out at home currently, with limited equipment), but the trainer there told me I should lose more weight first (get in the 150's at the very least) and only then should I start lifting. That completely threw me off. It seemed like bad advice to me, because only cardio with no lifting means muscle loss, and it is surprising to be told by a trainer to lose more muscle before I start building it lol. I'm considering changing my gym.

Will I see an increase in strength (not size, of course) over time, even if I continue eating at a caloric deficit? (I understand it is not possible to lift extremely heavy if you are not supplying your body with the fuel it requires to do so, and so I cannot set unrealistic expectations on the amount I'll be able to lift while still eating at a deficit.) I think I should eat at a deficit until I get the excess fat off my body, and then start eating at a surplus to gain more muscle and so that I can increase the weights further. Is this the right way to go? Is there a better way to achieve my goals?

Are compound lifts the way to go?

I will weight train (1 hour per day) and do cardio (half hour per day) on alternate days, 5 or 6 days a week; is this optimum for losing fat while starting to build some strength?

Advice would be appreciated. Please keep in mind I don't know jacks*** about lifting, so I'm sorry if my questions are silly. :smile:

Thanks!

Replies

• BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    No one is too fat to lift. That's complete bull **** and a good indicator that you should NOT hire that trainer.

Yes. You can/will see some significant strength increases even while on a deficit. I'd eat at a deficit to lose fat, maintain for a while, then you can eat at a surplus if you want.

Yes. Compound lifts are the way to go. I recommend Stronglifts 5x5. Starting Strength is also good as is New Rules of Weight Lifting.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/560459-stronglifts-5x5-summary

Full body compound routines should be done 3 times a week. Cardio is optional. Fat loss is controlled by calorie deficit. Cardio can help or hinder the deficit (makes some more hungry). And it's also good for you.

Also, I'm 5'9", large framed and currently 158lbs.
  • lindzgayle
    lindzgayle Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    In for some sound advice. :)
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    BusyRae nailed it pretty much. But to be honest you seem like you have a pretty good idea- compounds- start lifting to maintain muscle and not lose it.

You aren't to fat to lift- there is no such thing- there is a place for EVERYONE to start- some people need modification (squatting wider because of a bigger girth) or take longer to get to a standard (Whatever that means) working weight because of the weight but there is no such thing as to fat to lift- and at your height weight- you aren't to fat for anything. May take some time- but you aren't to fat.

Check out the programs- learn form- use a broom stick/pvc pipe- or whatever you need to learn form- then start using the bar and work slowly on ward and upward.

I'm also 5'8" and have been 170 for a long time- I cut down to 155 something and was tiny for me- but bulked back up to 170. I've never been "small"- been lifting all my life practically.
  • a_stronger_me13
    a_stronger_me13 Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    5'8 and now 164, if I was able to go back I would've started lifting from day one at 198lbs.

Highly recommend Stronglifts 5x5 as well.
  • Mr_Excitement
    Mr_Excitement Posts: 833 Member
    Options
    I think you got your answers in the first post there, but I just wanted to say good luck-- I'm sure you'll do great. Weight training is a great way to get to your goal.

Just as an aside... I wouldn't bother with the cardio on alternate days if it was me. If you enjoy it, or are trying to get conditioned for an event or something, then great, ok-- but I wouldn't bother doing it as a workout for weight loss. Your body will likely have it's hands full just recovering in between weights days.
  • SrJoben
    SrJoben Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    Well....there might be too fat to lift. I mean if we're being real here there's a certain point where people are basically too fat to MOVE. I imagine at some point before you're too fat to get out of a chair you're too fat to lift.

But at 5'8" 176 you aren't even close. I have no idea what that trainer was thinking.

First reply pretty much nailed it.
  • GreenIceFloes
    GreenIceFloes Posts: 1,491 Member
    Options
    That trainer is an idiot. Has a nice round beer belly too. Seriously, the thought of being too fat to lift had never even crossed my mind until he said it. Goodness knows what other 'advice' he is offering to the people he trains.

I have New Rules of Lifting for Women, haven't read it yet, though. Stronglifts 5x5 seems pretty highly recommended. I'll start with that.

Is there anything else that you think I should know before I start? Any pointers, tips etc.?
  • jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options
    For fun, ask the trainer to demonstrate his form with at least bodyweight on the major lifts. Record and post to forums.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    That trainer is an idiot. Has a nice round beer belly too. Seriously, the thought of being too fat to lift had never even crossed my mind until he said it. Goodness knows what other 'advice' he is offering to the people he trains.

I have New Rules of Lifting for Women, haven't read it yet, though. Stronglifts 5x5 seems pretty highly recommended. I'll start with that.

Is there anything else that you think I should know before I start? Any pointers, tips etc.?

Read the text. The program is a little hectic, but the information in the text is good.
  • GreenIceFloes
    Options
    Read the text. The program is a little hectic, but the information in the text is good.

I think I understand most of it in theory. I guess once I've actually had my first day and figured out what weights I can start with for now and know where exactly I stand, I'll have a bunch of new questions lol.
    And hectic is good! If I'm not sore as **** after a workout I feel like I've half-assed it (which is probably true). I'll practice my form first. I'll start off easy, make my way up. And get a good trainer.
  • Mrsallypants
    Mrsallypants Posts: 887 Member
    Options
    Might be such a thing as too fat to lift if you weigh 700lbs at 5'9, and can't even get out of the bed.

Otherwise, there are many powerlifters, strongmen, Olympic weight lifters, and football players who carry a lot of fat.

108145-650-366.jpg
  • ME0172
    ME0172 Posts: 200
    Options
    You'll see strength gains eating at a deficit. That's what I do and my strength gains have made me very very happy. And I love it when my hubby stands behind me when I'm doing lat pull downs and he says, "You should see how awesome your back looks." Get some girl. You'll be happy you did.
  • GreenIceFloes
    Options
    You'll see strength gains eating at a deficit. That's what I do and my strength gains have made me very very happy. And I love it when my hubby stands behind me when I'm doing lat pull downs and he says, "You should see how awesome your back looks." Get some girl. You'll be happy you did.

It'd be nice to have a back free of bulges. Ugh I hate the mushy-ness.
    Good for you! :drinker: