WHITES VS YOLKS??

Options
2»

Replies

• JG762
    JG762 Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    I was worried about my cholesterol going up as I have been eating 2 large eggs a day for quite a while. I had my yearly physical a couple of weeks ago and my blood work showed all of the cholesterol readings were going DOWN not up! I told my Dr. that I was prepared for him to chew my *kitten* for eating the eggs and he chuckled and stated that everybody thinks that eggs will automatically increase your levels but it isn't necessarily the case.

Enjoy those yolks!
  • CMB1979
    CMB1979 Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    NO worries. My parents raise chickens for the eggs and consume roughly 12 per day - each. Their cholesterol is normal. They are healthy in every respect.
    It's a genetic thing - meaning person specific.
  • saraovoxo
    saraovoxo Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I'm pescatarian but mostly vegetarian and I eat the whole egg - the yolk is definitely the best part! Plus my cholesterol is fine. It's not like I eat a ton of eggs (usually only 1 or 2 if I'm having them for breakfast, which I only do a couple times a week), but I do count on them for protein.

And yes, much like milk, cheese, honey, etc., vegetarians eat eggs, since almost all the ones you find in the store are UNFERTILIZED, therefore no animal died (not even an adorable baby chicken :wink: ) for me to eat that egg. Vegetarians don't, though, eat fertilized eggs.

Not at all wanting to get into a debate on vegetarianism/vegans/omnivores/opportunivores since I 100% support people making their own food choices, just wanted to clear up why eggs are on the plate for vegetarians. :smile:

:flowerforyou: thank you !
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,301 Member
    Options
    the whole egg is very high in cholesterol

Amount Per 1 large (50 g)
    Calories 78
    % Daily Value*
    Total Fat 5 g 7%
    Saturated fat 1.6 g 8%
    Polyunsaturated fat 0.7 g
    Monounsaturated fat 2 g
    Cholesterol 187 mg 62%
    Sodium 62 mg 2%
    Potassium 63 mg 1%
    Total Carbohydrate 0.6 g 0%
    Dietary fiber 0 g 0%
    Sugar 0.6 g
    Protein 6 g 12%
    Vitamin A 5% Vitamin C 0%
    Calcium 2% Iron 3%
    Vitamin D 11% Vitamin B-6 5%
    Vitamin B-12 10% Magnesium 1%

NOW JUST THE WHITE

Nutrition Facts
    Egg, white, raw
    Amount Per 1 large (33 g)
    Calories 17
    % Daily Value*
    Total Fat 0.1 g 0%
    Saturated fat 0 g 0%
    Polyunsaturated fat 0 g
    Monounsaturated fat 0 g
    Cholesterol 0 mg 0%
    Sodium 55 mg 2%
    Potassium 54 mg 1%
    Total Carbohydrate 0.2 g 0%
    Dietary fiber 0 g 0%
    Sugar 0.2 g
    Protein 3.6 g 7%
    Vitamin A 0% Vitamin C 0%
    Calcium 0% Iron 0%
    Vitamin D 0% Vitamin B-6 0%
    Vitamin B-12 0% Magnesium 1%

Interesting stuff; had 5 eggs today, not yolking around! I'll take the protein to cal ratio over the cholesterol level any day and five on Thursday.
  • paganstar71
    paganstar71 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Eating cholesterol does not give you high cholesterol, that is a myth- just like the low saturated fat for health myth. Eat the yolks they are yummy and nutritious.
  • paganstar71
    Options
    chicken wings fair game too? jk

nuggest must be fair game too!!! definitely a bi product!

Who thinks you kill chickens to get eggs?
  • Kanuenue
    Kanuenue Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    If you are trying to cut calories, do include at least one egg yolk with 2-3 egg whites (One whole egg plus two egg whites is about the same volume as 2 eggs). All the nutrition is in the yolk but the majority of the protein is in the whites. So it is best to eat both. There is also an enzyme in the yolk that helps you better utilize the proteins in the whites. Unless you already have high cholesterol, there is no need to avoid eggs.
  • RushBabe_214
    Options
    All of the actual nutrients are in the yolk. You can blame the '80s for the "eggs are bad" bull****. It was largely due to the cholesterol content of the yolk...subsequently, numerous studies have illustrated that dietary cholesterol has very little to do with blood serum levels. Your liver produces way more cholesterol than you could ever consume in your diet.

There are a few, very rare instances where people are hypersensitive to dietary cholesterol..but it is exceedingly rare and I'm pretty sure you would know by now if you had this issue.

This.

Eat the whole damn egg.
  • Fenrissa
    Fenrissa Posts: 116
    Options
    Eat the whole egg.
  • Sarahliquid
    Sarahliquid Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    If you are trying to cut calories, do include at least one egg yolk with 2-3 egg whites (One whole egg plus two egg whites is about the same volume as 2 eggs). All the nutrition is in the yolk but the majority of the protein is in the whites. So it is best to eat both. There is also an enzyme in the yolk that helps you better utilize the proteins in the whites. Unless you already have high cholesterol, there is no need to avoid eggs.

The protein is almost half and half. 6 for the whole egg, 3.6 for just the white.
  • HikerRR50
    HikerRR50 Posts: 144 Member
    Options

Kill them ...no I don't think that...though unless they are free range etc they are treated just as bad or worse than the ones that are killed. I guess I see this as pretty much same thing as far as being cruel to animals. - I eat both for the record cause I like chicken and eggs(all just my opinion)
  • paganstar71
    Options

Kill them ...no I don't think that...though unless they are free range etc they are treated just as bad or worse than the ones that are killed. I guess I see this as pretty much same thing as far as being cruel to animals. - I eat both for the record cause I like chicken and eggs(all just my opinion)

I eat eggs from my own chickens, best ever!
  • flsouthernbelle9
    Options
    I only eat the whites, give the yolks to my dogs.... just cause i want more food to eat, and the yolks have all the calories, so the whites are * filler food* to me,
  • Rainboots80
    Rainboots80 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I am vegetarian too and always eat the whole egg because it is a source of Vitamin D. I don't get it much else in my diet because I don't drink milk and I am on low carb so no cereal, bread ect.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    eat the whole damn egg..i eat four eggs a day and add in two servings of egg whites..

and vegetarians eat eggs, really?
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    If it makes you feel better and you don't mind the couple of extra cents buy omega 3 eggs. Basically the chickens are fed grass and omega 3 fortified feed to make the egg yolks contain omega3's. I grew up with my parents having chickens and loved summer eggs because the chickens were out eating grass. I never realized how healthy those really were.