Is it really all about calories??

Options
2»

Replies

• sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,809 Member
    Options
    All calories are not created equally. Check out the book Fat Chance written by an obesity expert who is not selling any thing. He also has videos on YouTube. Robert Lustig, MD.

Somehow I knew someone would bring up Lustig and his questionable views that have little support.

Yes, in terms of weight loss it is all about calories. In terms of nutrition, it makes sense to have the majority of what you eat being nutrient dense veggies and meat, but having some cake or chocolate along with that is fine.

I'm curious why you consider his views questionable. He is an endocrinologist working with obese children, some as young as 2.5 years old. His work is based on science.
    Read this and you will understand:
    http://www.alanaragonblog.com/2010/01/29/the-bitter-truth-about-fructose-alarmism/
  • littlekitty3
    littlekitty3 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    Clean food is a dumb concept. It could mean I eat artificial sweetener or none. Or I eat whey protein and break yogurt or shun dairy.
    Just eat whole unprocessed food.
    It's interesting enough that there are some people who lost weight on 3000+ calories a day and don't exercise and they used to be the typical "I can only eat 1500". It's something I'm looking into because its a crazy idea for a world fed diet propaganda.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    as long as 1800 is a calorie deficit then yes, you will still lose weight….so make the last 300 dessert or something you want ..

I always finish up my evening with a servicing of ice cream, or some cookies...
  • vjohn04
    vjohn04 Posts: 2,276 Member
    Options
    I eat plenty of cakes, ice cream, and what not.

I do try to eat enough protein, and never have a problem eating enough fat. I enjoy my treats in the evenings, mostly.

For weight loss it's calories in vs calories out.

For body composition, you should pay attention to your macronutrients.

For general health, you should pay attention to micronutrients.
  • FoxyLifter
    FoxyLifter Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    Is it really all about calories??

For weight loss, yes.

For body composition, no.

As long as you can fit it in your macros (in other words, you've eaten enough protein, fat and micronutrients throughout the day), you can eat treats if you have enough calories leftover to do so.
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    I eat plenty of cakes, ice cream, and what not.

I do try to eat enough protein, and never have a problem eating enough fat. I enjoy my treats in the evenings, mostly.

For weight loss it's calories in vs calories out.

For body composition, you should pay attention to your macronutrients.

For general health, you should pay attention to micronutrients.

I'd trust anything this lady has to say about body composition. Just. Saying.