HALP! My Body Is Diet and Fitness Resistant!

Options
Alright,
So here it goes....
I have been on and off working on losing weight for 3 years now. I have been on birth control for 8 years, and Zolof now for about 2 years ***I went off this summer to try and lose some weight but realized I needed to get back on it due to my anxiety*** Despite going off of the meds I wasn't able to lose an ounce with continued diet and exercise. I recently found out that my sister was diagnosed with PCOS and she thinks that I could possibly have the same issues since we have a lot of the same symptoms. So basically I have hopped back on the diet horse full force, I cut out carbs and started kickboxing 5-6 days a week. I finally weighed myself after 2 weeks of this new diet and I've gained 1.5 pounds....i don't even know what to think at this point. I have been able to maintain my weight like a champ....but forget about losing it...

Anybody else have issues like this?
Also, add me if you would like :) I could always use more pals!

Replies

• lemonsnowdrop
    lemonsnowdrop Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    Are you making sure you're eating at a deficit? You can eat healthy foods and still eat too much. Also, don't think of it as a "diet". Make it a lifestyle change; something you can apply to your life as a whole, not a short span of time. :)
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    Weight loss is about a calorie deficet...

You get that deficet either through eating less or moving more.

You are moving more hence the 1.5lbs...water retention from new exercise.

But the fact you aren't losing would be due to no deficet.

To ensure you are in a deficet you need to weigh your food...how else will you know how much you are eating??? Logging everything you put in your mouth...and choosing the correct entries.
  • kelleybean1
    kelleybean1 Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    ^^^^^This . Open your diary so we can see what your diet is like.
  • astrampe
    astrampe Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    Hey, I had this problem aswell and tried like a million things. Different things work for different people, but I was finally able to find one that worked for me. I've lost 22 pounds sofar in 2 months with this natural pill combined with a small diet change and a bit of exercise.

I wish someone could have helped me out when I was going through this, so if I can help you it would make my day. I'm a bit shy to show my before and after pictures on here, but if anyone would like to see them and learn about what I've been doing.

This is your fourth post, and the fourth one reported as spam. Stop telling idiotic lies to people who actually ask for help...
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    Hey, I had this problem aswell and tried like a million things. Different things work for different people, but I was finally able to find one that worked for me. I've lost 22 pounds sofar in 2 months with this natural pill combined with a small diet change and a bit of exercise.

I wish someone could have helped me out when I was going through this, so if I can help you it would make my day. I'm a bit shy to show my before and after pictures on here, but if anyone would like to see them and learn about what I've been doing you can email me at jessyrabbit88@gmail.com.

lol no bye. Reported
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    If you're not losing weight, you're not eating at a deficit. You're underestimating your food &/or overestimating your burns.

Read this: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    do you own a food scale?

do you weight/log/measure everything you eat?

why did you "cut out carbs"?
  • determinedbutlazy
    determinedbutlazy Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    If you suspect PCOS or any medical issue, go to the doctor. I was stuck around 190lbs for a few months so I went to the doctor for metabolism tests etc. It came back clean across the board so I just kept going.
    You need to be 100 percent honest with everything you eat, log it all, weigh it accurately. If you do not have any medical issues, you will lose weight.
  • Supertact
    Supertact Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    in for the lol the title gave me
  • EnidBlack
    Options
    Ok, first things first, I know it's personal but... How much do you weigh and what is your height? This way we can understand your BMI.

As for the gain, it can depend on a lot of things, and it all starts with your present weight and height.

Don't get disappointed, it's just the matter to find the right system ^^ (without strange pills, usually!!!)
  • I_GoT_ThIs
    I_GoT_ThIs Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    I have a hard time losing weight.. but it does eventually happen. Just very very slowly. Just keep with it and you will get where you need to be!!! Anyone could add me as well! I'm up for pointers on things I can improve on. I'm doing my best but I'm sure all of my choices could still be better!
  • oceanbreeze27
    oceanbreeze27 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    When I stop getting results, I change up my workout. Our bodies are amazing machines that adapt to whatever we put them through, including exercise. Every program I've ever done has yielded results but I personally have to consistently confuse my muscles in order to keep losing.

Diet is extremely important. It's imperative you log everything you eat as accurately as possible, and that you strive to create a daily deficit.

Every body is different. It might take some experimenting but find what works best for yours.
  • crystalrx
    crystalrx Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    You mentioned a 1.5lb weight gain after starting kickboxing 4-5 times a week. Maybe the weight gain is from gaining muscle mass (since muscle weighs more than fat, but you are slimmer overall). Like other people have mentioned, keep an eye on your food diary just in case, but there are other ways to see results than just what's on the scale (fitness level increasing, inches lost, how clothes are fitting, energy levels, etc).
  • krispy1982
    krispy1982 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Hi there! I second the advice to see your Dr. It's not unusual for someone with PCOS to have a family member with the condition, but still it would help to make sure you're in the track and you may need medication so it's totally worth a visit.

I was also wondering, how would you feel if you weighed yourself a little more often? Was your before weight exactly the same every day so you know for sure you gained 1.5 lbs? It's possible you weighed yourself on a really good day when you started, lost 1- 1.5 lb in two weeks ( which is reasonable) and then we're simply retaining water, nearing you TOM or just a little higher the next time? It's totally normal to fluctuate even in the same day.

I think it's totally smart to check in with yourself and see if you need to re-evaluate but 1.5 lbs that may or may not be water and only 2 weeks time may not be enough to go on yet.

Hang in there and keep going until you find something sustainable and effective for you! ????
  • TheFo1dOut
    TheFo1dOut Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    So to answer a few questions....
    I am 5'6, 234.5 pounds....
    I measure and weigh everything I eat.
    I've switched out all of my diet pop consumption to water (except for just 1 diet mt dew...it's my coffee haha)
    I cut out carbs because heard that if in fact I have a hormonal imbalance that is an optimal diet to attempt to lose weight.
    Also, I've never tried the low carb option so that's also a reason.
  • ndj1979
    Options
    I've switched out all of my diet pop consumption to water (except for just 1 diet mt dew...it's my coffee haha)
    I cut out carbs because heard that if in fact I have a hormonal imbalance that is an optimal diet to attempt to lose weight.

how many calories per day are you consuming?
  • TheFo1dOut
    TheFo1dOut Posts: 49 Member
    Options

I'm attempting to stay between 1500-1700 looking at that number now I feel it's a bit high maybe I should cut that.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options

I'm attempting to stay between 1500-1700 looking at that number now I feel it's a bit high maybe I should cut that.

Yah no don't cut that...I eat that, older than you and weigh less and I lose weight...so you would too.

If you open your diary it would be easier to really give you personalized advice...

Even if you do have PCOS you can lose weight with a calorie deficet you just have to be more patient...Jillian Michaels has PCOS...and look at her...that is not an instant "Im gonna be fat forever diagnoses"
  • ndj1979
    Options

Yah no don't cut that...I eat that, older than you and weigh less and I lose weight...so you would too.

If you open your diary it would be easier to really give you personalized advice...

Even if you do have PCOS you can lose weight with a calorie deficet you just have to be more patient...Jillian Michaels has PCOS...and look at her...that is not an instant "Im gonna be fat forever diagnoses"

agree with this...

Maybe you should try to consistently hit 1700 for four weeks, and see what happens...

are you doing MFP method or TDEE method? if you already said which one, I must of missed it...
  • vslnrunner
    vslnrunner Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    Log. Log. Log. And then log some more. Get a food scale. Measure and weigh everything.
    You have to make sure you are eating at a deficit.