Help with Squats

Options
magtart
magtart Posts: 161 Member
I am a 59 yo woman with bad knees and 2 herniated discs in my lumbar spine. I would love to strengthen my thighs and glutes, but every time I attempt a squat my knees go over my toes. I have watched videos for proper form but it seems like my fat *kitten* causes me to tip over backwards if my knees are behind my toes.

Does anyone have any tips for me?

Replies

• dbanks80
    dbanks80 Posts: 3,685 Member
    Options
    I always envision myself sitting in a chair and that helps me to remember the form
  • kbmnurse
    kbmnurse Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    Hate squats don't do them cause I can't do them right.
  • frangrann
    frangrann Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Keep your back straight and stick your butt out. Keep the weight on your heels. Good luck.
  • Rose6300
    Rose6300 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I am a 59 yo woman with bad knees and 2 herniated discs in my lumbar spine. I would love to strengthen my thighs and glutes, but every time I attempt a squat my knees go over my toes. I have watched videos for proper form but it seems like my fat *kitten* causes me to tip over backwards if my knees are behind my toes.

I'd say keep your heels pressed down and widen your stance maybe? Or try to squat onto a footstool to get the right feeling? Probably not terribly helpful, but I just loved your wording "my fat *kitten* causes me to tip over backwards" so I thought I'd reply. :laugh:
  • Blueberry09
    Blueberry09 Posts: 821 Member
    Options
    Butt to the wall!
  • Mrsallypants
    Mrsallypants Posts: 887 Member
    Options
    Try some box squats to help you learn to break at your hips and sit back.
  • magtart
    Options
    Well it is quite the laugh fest when I ask my son to watch my form and I end up *kitten* over tea kettle on the floor. I learned my lesson and started trying with a chair behind me.
  • hamzapowerlifts
    Options
    its a fitness myth that your knees shouldnt go over your toes, whoever gave you that misinformation, dont listen to that person anymore. I squat competitively BTW and have squated over 400lbs, so I know what I am talking about.

check out this video
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iBHc323QwFE
  • CMB1979
    CMB1979 Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    Lean against a exercise ball that is between you and a wall. Use it as a roller to go up and down - slowly. You can put pressure on the ball and take a little off your knees.

ball%2Bwall%2Bsquats.jpg
  • lwestmill
    lwestmill Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Hey there friend!
    Squats are bad for your knees, you are right. Hold onto a chair and do front, side and back leg lifts. Hold! Hold! Hold! Add leg weights to make it more intense, like the palliates style. Squeeze the buttocks and hold. ( I can't do this without laughing) Also, I have a piece of equipment from Walmart that I bought years ago called Ultra Leg Magic. It was cheep but it really works the inner and outer thighs! It tightens the buttocks too. Its a killer at first but once you get the hang of it its gets some better. I am up to 60 reps, then I'm done. :sad:
  • magtart
    Options
    The exercise ball is a great idea, thanks! I think it will help me build up some strength to do some solo.
  • lwestmill
    lwestmill Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Lean against a exercise ball that is between you and a wall. Use it as a roller to go up and down - slowly. You can put pressure on the ball and take a little off your knees.

ball%2Bwall%2Bsquats.jpg

Yea! Like he said! Great idea!
  • Rays_Wife
    Rays_Wife Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    Hey there friend!
    Squats are bad for your knees, you are right. Hold onto a chair and do front, side and back leg lifts. Hold! Hold! Hold! Add leg weights to make it more intense, like the palliates style. Squeeze the buttocks and hold. ( I can't do this without laughing) Also, I have a piece of equipment from Walmart that I bought years ago called Ultra Leg Magic. It was cheep but it really works the inner and outer thighs! It tightens the buttocks too. Its a killer at first but once you get the hang of it its gets some better. I am up to 60 reps, then I'm done. :sad:

FALSE. Squats are not bad for your knees, that is a total myth. It only hurts your knees if you do quarter squats. You need to squat to parallel or below parallel and your knees will be fine. They are actually a knee strengthening exercise when done correctly.
  • Rays_Wife
    Rays_Wife Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    Here is a good picture of proper squat form (from Mark Rippetoes Starting Strength) with the person going slightly below parallel.
    sg48hu.jpg

Obviously you won't be doing barbell squats right now with your health issues but when you do bodyweight squats you should be going below parallel to protect your knees. I was just using this picture to show you what going below parallel looks like.
  • magtart
    Options
    I just ordered a fitness ball. I can't wait to try it out.!
  • amflautist
    amflautist Posts: 941 Member
    Options
    its a fitness myth that your knees shouldnt go over your toes, whoever gave you that misinformation, dont listen to that person anymore. I squat competitively BTW and have squated over 400lbs, so I know what I am talking about.

check out this video

Huge thanks for that!!!
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options

It's absolutely fine for your knees to go over your toes - it's just the way your body is put together. Just concentrate on going down and back up, that way you'll get your natural range of motion.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options

check out this video

Huge thanks for that!!!

Agreed

And no squats aren't bad for your knees...I squat 165lbs and no knee issues.

As for that myth I know that I saw a gif of a child (probably 18months old) squatting and the caption was "This is how you do it"...

Forgetting of course that babies bones aren't totally hardened.

How you squat is defined on how you build.

I squat with a wider than normal stance as it's most comfortable, I have a stool behind me to make sure I get ATG (*kitten* to grass) and I keep my girls up and neutral spine...
  • Rose6300
    Rose6300 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I just ordered a fitness ball. I can't wait to try it out.!

Wait till your husband gets all pissy because it rolls all over the room and gets in his way all the time. Mine made me get rid of mine.
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    Hey there friend!

Squats are actually very good for your knees.

Try to get as far down as you can - below parallel - *kitten* to the grass is actually easier as you get a nice wee bounce (stretch reflex) at the bottom to help you back up. Only doing half or quarter squats can cause a muscle imbalance (this is when people say they're not good for you).