NROL or lifting question

Options
sjaplo
sjaplo Posts: 974 Member
Howdy - I started the NROL program at home a couple of weeks ago, I'm in week two of the "break in" portion. For Dec and Jan I was using dumbells and doing squats, deadlifts, curls, rows etc. I had worked up to 25lbs in each hand. For the year before that it was essentially yoga and push ups.

My question is about ratios and how much weight to add at a time.

Ratios - Squats and lunges - I have 45lbs plus the bar (15lbs) for my squats, 2 X 15 reps - which is no biggie. On the lunges I only have 25lbs plus the bar. I haven't done them before so to me they are tough. As it is one leg vs two (lunge vs squat) should the lunge be at half the weight or should it be whatever I can handle?

Adding - increments of 5lbs, 10 lbs or?????

Oh and one more - at what weight should one consider a squat rack? Or does that depend on the person?

Thanks in advance.

Replies

• cpusmc
    cpusmc Posts: 122
    Options
    for now, whatever you can handle on the squats and lunges, ratio is meaningless one to the other. as you gain strength you will see your squat increase much faster than your lunge again, to your point, 1 leg versus 2.

adding weight - i am not familiar with NROL so i can only tell you that i traditionally pick a weight where i struggle to complete say 10 reps at a given weight. once i no longer struggle to complete those 10 reps at that weight, i will add 10lbs and i once again should be back to struggling to complete all 10. repeat as necessary.

squat rack question - once you get to heavier weight a rack really helps as you dont have to work to get the bar behind your head then worry about the bar when done, you just rack it. plus a rack allows you to squat in a safer fashion.
  • sjaplo
    Options
    Thanks - thats the way I was handling the weight increments - put it on, if I could do a couple of sets of 10, I'd up it next time. This program has me doing sets of 15 at first, which is tough - but doable.
  • KatrinaWilke
    KatrinaWilke Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't worry about ratios or increments either. Just keep increasing the weight until it is difficult to finish the last set. If you can finish all the reps in your last set, try to go up in weight. As a beginner, you can probably lift more than you think. You just need to get your body and joints used to strength training. The longer you work out and the heavier weight you lift, you might not be able to increase the weight as much each time.
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    As above - start light.
    I'd stick to 5lb increments unless it feels stupidly easy. Even then, it may not be a bad thing to keep it with easy increments - 5lb each session will soon add up!

Squat rack, ideally with spotter bars I'd look to get as soon as possible personally - as above, it means the bits you are exercising, not your arms are the limit. Safety bars also means You can dump it if need be and still be safe, while not worrying about weight crashing down and so on.
  • sjaplo
    Options
    Thanks all for the good advice! I appreciate it.