IIFYM Question

Options
Hello all.

I've been looking at the IIFYM calculator (TDEE -20%) and want to use the goals that calculator has provided. I just have questions about the macros that it has suggested.

Some information about me:
Male
24 years old
6'5"
313 lbs.

I would describe my activity level as sedentary, but I'd like some input on that as well. I'm an engineer. During the week, I mostly sit at my desk working on scheduling, 3D modeling, layouts, etc. However, I do go to the production floor a couple of time a day. On weekends, I am on my feet all day. This usually consists of 12 hours on Saturday and at minimum 4 hours on Sunday, all of which I'm standing and walking around the plant floor. Is sedentary the appropriate setting for me, or do the weekday-weekend balance each other so it would be better for me to pick a higher activity level?

Back to IIFYM. The calculator suggests I eat 2,783 calories a day to lose weight, eating 101.1g of carbs, 313g of protein, and 125.2g of fats. The MFP calculator suggests I eat 2,540 calories a day to lose weight, eating 318g of carbs, 127g of protein, and 85g of fats. Why is there a big difference between the carbs and proteins? Which one should I follow?

Thanks.

Replies

• AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options
    The IIFYM calculator is just using 1g per lb of body weight as your goal for protein but that's more protein than you need, especially at your weight. The calorie goal was also probably calculated using just your body weight which tends to overestimate your TDEE. Do you have any estimate of your body fat percentage? You could get much more accurate numbers for TDEE and for macro goals if you have even a guess at what your body fat percentage is.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    never mind poster above said what I was going to.
  • BoilerMaker22
    BoilerMaker22 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I have a bodyweight scale, which tells me my body fat percentage as well.

Do you recommend using one of the other equations on the IIFYM website?
  • DrJenO
    DrJenO Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    Don't forget that TDEE-20% doesn't take into account any exercise calories you might burn. MFP wants you to eat those back.

I wouldn't set your activity @ sedentary. I'd say light activity.

Do you burn at least 500 cal per day? If so, you can eat at the 3k level. If not, you can stick w/ the 2500 and then eat back anything you DO burn.
  • Christiandtroy
    Options
    My suggestion would be to log everything you eat for two weeks, purchase an activity tracker that interacts with your smart phone and for two weeks just live your normal life. Average your daily cal intake and activity level.
    After two weeks reduce your cal intake by 500 to 1000 calls and increase your activity by walking a min 10,000 steps per day.
    After that gets easy add more activity and bring your cal intake in line with the app. Try to eat 5 to 6 meals per day it keeps your metabolism working overtime

Ct