How do I log CPR.

Options

Replies

• latenitelucy
    latenitelucy Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    What situation would put you in a position to HAVE to do CPR for 2 hours. First of all you would be switching since the guidelines state you can't do quality compressions for more than 5 minutes. Technically you should be switching every 2 minutes if you have a defib. I've done it and its really tiring on the body if your getting proper compressions. So to say two hours... Hmm. If you actually did do it then shame on your agency for putting you in that position and congrats on a marathon session. Also a patient who is in **fib or coded is extraordinarily not likely to come back after 10 minutes, let alone 2 hours. I know TV shows people amazingly waking up, but in real life... Not as much. It does happen from time to time though, so again congrats if it did happen but if your an EMT you have to understand why someone may be suspicious.

Not trying to be a troll. I would love to hear the situation. (I'm a Rescue Medic)

Ok here is condensed version. I live in a very rural area. 2 person crew. Paged out for difficulty breathing. On scene pt is c/o n/v, 10/10 CP and sweating. Pt is 400 pound 76 yo female. Place her on O2, give Asa, start IV, give zofran and NTG. Call fire for lift assist and paramedic unit 20 miles away for RNDZ. Pt B/P 170/120 after NTG 140/120. Pt pain 8/10. Monitor showing Afib, pt had hx, so not concerned, then went to vtach, self resolved, still c/o 8/10 cp, medic unit arrived, we gave lopresser, MS, and applied 1" NTG paste. Hospital is 25 miles away upon arrival,t returns to vtach and then fib and unresponsive. I started compressions, remember we only have 5 ppl 3 medics, a RN and the doctor. So everyone has a job, incubate crash cart, documentation, etc... When I was too tired to continue, I switched jobs and bagged, then running for meds, then back to compressions, SROC, faded, repete...for two hours! She finally. Regained and maintained pulse, and we put her on a bird to Boise. So no, I did not do compressions for two hours, but I bet I did for one total. I never stopped moving! So that's the code in a nutshell. Writing it out sounds lame. Sorry... But hey! I did my job she had a pulse and was sent to definitive care. Now I will just pray for her and move on... I'm not heartless just been doing medicine since 1984. Not much I haven't seen. Have a good night! Thanks!

HIPAA

That scared me too.
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    I'm waiting for the thread where the old lady asks how to log being the recipient of CPR.:wink:
  • dixiewhiskey
    dixiewhiskey Posts: 3,333 Member
    Options
    Congrats on saving a life but I can't stop laughing about how you want to log the calories burned from this. I'm going to do CPR now for no reason so I can burn calories :happy:
  • cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    Options
    What situation would put you in a position to HAVE to do CPR for 2 hours. First of all you would be switching since the guidelines state you can't do quality compressions for more than 5 minutes. Technically you should be switching every 2 minutes if you have a defib. I've done it and its really tiring on the body if your getting proper compressions. So to say two hours... Hmm. If you actually did do it then shame on your agency for putting you in that position and congrats on a marathon session. Also a patient who is in **fib or coded is extraordinarily not likely to come back after 10 minutes, let alone 2 hours. I know TV shows people amazingly waking up, but in real life... Not as much. It does happen from time to time though, so again congrats if it did happen but if your an EMT you have to understand why someone may be suspicious.

Not trying to be a troll. I would love to hear the situation. (I'm a Rescue Medic)

Ok here is condensed version. I live in a very rural area. 2 person crew. Paged out for difficulty breathing. On scene pt is c/o n/v, 10/10 CP and sweating. Pt is 400 pound 76 yo female. Place her on O2, give Asa, start IV, give zofran and NTG. Call fire for lift assist and paramedic unit 20 miles away for RNDZ. Pt B/P 170/120 after NTG 140/120. Pt pain 8/10. Monitor showing Afib, pt had hx, so not concerned, then went to vtach, self resolved, still c/o 8/10 cp, medic unit arrived, we gave lopresser, MS, and applied 1" NTG paste. Hospital is 25 miles away upon arrival,t returns to vtach and then fib and unresponsive. I started compressions, remember we only have 5 ppl 3 medics, a RN and the doctor. So everyone has a job, incubate crash cart, documentation, etc... When I was too tired to continue, I switched jobs and bagged, then running for meds, then back to compressions, SROC, faded, repete...for two hours! She finally. Regained and maintained pulse, and we put her on a bird to Boise. So no, I did not do compressions for two hours, but I bet I did for one total. I never stopped moving! So that's the code in a nutshell. Writing it out sounds lame. Sorry... But hey! I did my job she had a pulse and was sent to definitive care. Now I will just pray for her and move on... I'm not heartless just been doing medicine since 1984. Not much I haven't seen. Have a good night! Thanks!

HIPAA

^^This. And for the squirrels out there who are bragging, most of us who have done it before take our patients into consideration since that is part of the job. I wonder what your OMD or chief/supervisor would think about going on the internet and divulging private information. Not cool.
  • Tobi1013
    Tobi1013 Posts: 732 Member
    Options

HIPAA

^^This. And for the squirrels out there who are bragging, most of us who have done it before take our patients into consideration since that is part of the job. I wonder what your OMD or chief/supervisor would think about going on the internet and divulging private information. Not cool.

Probably not a HIPAA violation, but possibly a violation of state privacy laws and the personal conduct code of the EMS company OP works for.
  • CVicious
    CVicious Posts: 6
    Options
    Sounds like you need an auto pulse.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Just make sure you account is set to the correct setting. Since your an emt, lightly active or active would suffice. This way you wont have to count this as exercise. Anything job related should be a part of your activity.

disagree. if every day of his job involved 2 hours of cpr, i would agree that it's an activity level setting. but when it goes beyond the pale, it should be counted. if i worked on a farm i'd have a highly active setting, but if 1 day a month involved my normal duties plus 2 hours of chopping wood i'd log that it as additional activity.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    and why is everyone crying about the OP wanted to log it? what, because he did a good deed he don't get to eat? Should he donate his paycheck to charity too?
  • Galatea_Stone
    Galatea_Stone Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    and why is everyone crying about the OP wanted to log it? what, because he did a good deed he don't get to eat? Should he donate his paycheck to charity too?

EMTs make really good money. Or so I've heard.

OP, I know this is a day late, but I'd "log it" by drinking a couple beers and eating a plate of chili cheese fries and not logging them.
  • IIIIISerenityNowIIIII
    IIIIISerenityNowIIIII Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    I bet you burned a TON of calories in those two hours. I hope you ate really good after that! I don't know enough about this to really give any decent advice but in my non-expert opinion I would say eat something high in protein in addition to your normal day, like an extra meal. Surely if people on here burn 1k calories doing one hour of crossfit, you burned at least that doing CPR for two hours. Thank you for what you do. I wish my Mom could have been saved but I am grateful to the people who tried to save her.
  • jlynnm70
    jlynnm70 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    For those worried about HIPPA - I think she is OK - She didn't provide name, or address of the patient, the hospital or anything else actually identifying (unless I really missed something other than the age and her weight)
  • dakotababy
    dakotababy Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    2 hours is an long time to do CPR. I find 10 minutes to be difficult! Sometimes it is helpful to get 1 person do to the breathing and another person to do the pumping to help preserve energy.
  • missomgitsica
    missomgitsica Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    Sorry but seriously? You saved a life and you are concerned about calories lost? And you consider CPR exercise?

You have clearly never done CPR. It is most definitely a work out. A very scary work out.

That said, I don't really think there's a way to accurately log it unless you were wearing an HRM at the time and have a burn estimate, OP. Sorry.
  • BattleTaxi
    BattleTaxi Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    Lol thanks for all the awesome comments! I don't do CPR very often. Maybe twice a year? But this was one hard workout, and it need all the help I can get! I am feeling muscles I forgot I had! I'm truly sorry some of you thought I was being causal or selfish. I did not mean to sound like that. Thanks again!

You did an awesome job! There is NOTHING selfish about reflecting on past activities and having questions or being curious! You were in the moment when you were at work, and now on your free time you are reflecting and asking some GOOD questions. That doesn't make you callous or cruel!

Thank you for everything you do! And I would record that!
  • SpeSHul_SnoflEHk
    SpeSHul_SnoflEHk Posts: 6,256 Member
    Options
    For those worried about HIPPA - I think she is OK - She didn't provide name, or address of the patient, the hospital or anything else actually identifying (unless I really missed something other than the age and her weight)

She said she was airlifted to Boise. In Boise, there are exactly 2 hospitals that could handle this level of acuity.Really, only one would be the logical choice. It wouldnt' be too hard to figure it out.
  • SpeSHul_SnoflEHk
    SpeSHul_SnoflEHk Posts: 6,256 Member
    Options
    I'm seeing a new perspective here. The way I have always looked at it (and I have pushed on more than my fair share of chests before) is that the person is already dead. You can only improve the situation (in some cases) by doing something. It's not that scary.
  • kbmnurse
    kbmnurse Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    REALLY?
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    ...Tonight I worked 2 hard hours doing CPR To save a woman. ( success!) ...

:heart:

^^^ this

OP: my advice, if you cant figure out the calories then don't sweat it, but if you feel hungry after eating all your usual daily calories, then eat something else. one day of getting your calorie number wrong won't hurt.
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    As anyone knows who read my profile, I am an EMT. Tonight I worked 2 hard hours doing CPR To save a woman. ( success!) This is intense exercise. How would I log it! Thank you!

How wonderful for that woman and her family that you saved her life!!!! Well done!

But somehow....you are trivializing your own heroic act by worrying about how many calories you burned in the process. It's time for some inner reflection on the reason you chose your profession.
  • sheliajim
    sheliajim Posts: 21
    Options
    Just completed my ACLS update and did some CPR on the dummy, but as a critical care nurse, I do a lot of CPR and running codes. It is hard work, mentally and physically. I would suggest an HRM, because that is about the only way you will get an accurate measurement of cals burned. CPR is an awesome upper body workout. Congrats on that life saved!
This discussion has been closed.