Fruit....I just don't understand it. Help please!!!

Options
2»

Replies

• CookingMamaAUS
    CookingMamaAUS Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Whole fruit contains wonderful amounts of fibre. You have to chew and chew an apple to eat it, you can't inhale it like a handful of gummi bears. Eat your fruit whole, with the skin on when possible, and you will have a tasty sweet snack that gives you energy, fills you up and keeps you regular.

Note that all the benefits of fruit go out the window when you juice it. Juicing concentrates sugar and removes fibre. Not good for weightloss.

An apple a day keeps the lovehandles at bay ;)
  • mcibty
    mcibty Posts: 1,252 Member
    Options
    If you like fruit, eat fruit. If you want a candy bar, have one. Sugar and carbs are not evil. However, nothing can be eaten in unlimited quantities. A calorie is a calorie. While some foods are more nutrient dense than others, all that is required for weight loss is a calorie deficit.

I disagree. All calories are not equal. High Fructose Corn Syrup is just calories but should you be eating food that contains it? Based on what some reports say probably not. Highly processed carbohydrates probably don't need to be completely avoided, but you should be paying attention to ensure you are getting more of the good kinds like in whole grains and fruit vs sugar and white bread types. Have a candy bar? Sure, but maybe as a weekly reward instead of a daily one.

Yes thank u! It's not about a calorie deficit per se, it's a lifestyle! So you're saying if you're diet calls for 1300 cals a day to lose weight you'll eat that in ice cream because calories are calories? No!!

Sigh. A calorie IS a calorie. It's a unit of energy. Y'all are getting confused between nutritional value and calories AGAIN.
  • hmaddpear
    hmaddpear Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    As other posters have stated - it's the other stuff fruit brings to the table - the micronutrients. Plus the fact the sugar in fruit comes with fibre, meaning it's digested slower, less likely to spike the blood sugar and less likely to leave you wanting to eat all the foodz.

Most candy won't compare. An exception being good dark chocolate, which has soluble fibre, anti-oxidants and is a good source of iron and magnesium.....
  • NiikouruDesu
    Options
    Surgar (such as fhe sugar in fruit) is only really bad for you when eaten after, or in combination with fats as the digestion rate is higher it ferments in your stomach. Better to eat it for breakfast. As for weight loss, its full kf vitamins which your body needs and without which will cause cravings forr unhealthy foods if youre not in tune with your body. Of course the calories will give you energy.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,072 Member
    Options
    Surgar (such as fhe sugar in fruit) is only really bad for you when eaten after, or in combination with fats as the digestion rate is higher it ferments in your stomach. Better to eat it for breakfast. As for weight loss, its full kf vitamins which your body needs and without which will cause cravings forr unhealthy foods if youre not in tune with your body. Of course the calories will give you energy.

I don't think it matters whether you eat your fruit for breakfast, lunch, dinner or in between or whether you eat it with fats, with something else or alone.
  • Derpes
    Derpes Posts: 2,033 Member
    Options
    You're over-thinking it! The benefits of fruit far outweigh the disadvantages.
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options
    If you eat it between 6 - 7pm you can have 2 pieces (that's when it's happy hour).

Enjoy your fruit.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    I don't understand what to do with it?!?
    I have the most wonderful mental image of you looking utterly confused at a bowl of fruit.

LMFAO... yeah. just wildly amusing.

my first answer is EAT IT!!!!

eat in moderation- you're fine.

And yes- anything you put in your body 'counts'.
  • katielauren2001
    katielauren2001 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    What's not to understand about something that tastes good, is full of vitamins, minerals and antioxidants. Fruit contains natural sugars not refined sugars which are in a plethora of processed goods. Vegetables also have natural sugars in them as well as many other foods, so if you were to prohibit all sugar (even naturally found sugars) then you would be left with very little to eat.
  • JoanneC1216
    JoanneC1216 Posts: 166
    Options
    Fruits do not have a lot of calories. One cup of red grapes is approximately 100 calories vs one candy bar which is over 200 calories.

Fruits are nutritious and high in antioxidants.

Don't worry about the sugar content. Have fruit and a candy bar if you can fit it into your calories for the day.
  • RaspberryKeytoneBoondoggle
    Options
    You can gain weight from eating too much of anything. For me,it's much easier to overestimate on my Favourite ringolos potato chips than on fruit. I think the chips have more calories because of the frying in fat and whatnot. I like apples.
  • handyrunner
    handyrunner Posts: 32,662 Member
    Options
    I have the most wonderful mental image of you looking utterly confused at a bowl of fruit.

HA
  • handyrunner
    handyrunner Posts: 32,662 Member
    Options
    You're over-thinking it! The benefits of fruit far outweigh the disadvantages.

this

but as everyone else has said...and excess of anything is going to get you in the end!
  • MB2MN
    MB2MN Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    You can overeat fruit in the same way you can overeat chocolate, it just requires more of it and would leave you feeling much fuller. Sugar isn't evil, just try to stay within your calorie and macro goals. Have the chocolate, have the fruit, just know that one will leave you fuller than the other.