GREEN MONSTERS! YUM!

Options
Has anyone tried this???

Just your regular smoothie, with 2 cups of spinach!
sounds gross? sure. looks gross - ish? yes lol
Tastes good? YES

I promise you don't taste the spinach!

check it out: http://greenmonstermovement.com/

her recipes on the right on the recipe link, then further down, reader submitted recipes also!
I basically use her recipe for the GM first timer... and do my own thing

banana, skim milk, protein powder, PB or almond butter, ground flax, ground chia and spinach. YUMMO! (i've also done strawberry banana)
I am severely iron deficient and after less then a week I am already noticing a change in my energy,,, my crash time is getting a bit later day by day rather then mid afternoon,

:drinker:

Replies

• sjyates
    sjyates Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Hmmm may have to give it a try. . .
  • kpopa
    kpopa Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    I HAVE and it's delish! Too bad my dog is afraid of the blender :ohwell:
  • katschy
    Options
    Hm - if it's helping with the iron, I might just have to try it :) Thanks for sharing!!
  • She also has a WONDERFUL website with all sorts of vegan recipes. www.ohsheglows.com

I've had the green monsters before and they're awesome! I haven't done them in awhile, but I was on a kick there for a few months. They're so adaptable and easy to change up to make different and interesting. I've moved on to her vegan overnight oats. Those are delicious and also easy to change up!
  • ambercole
    Options
    I acctually bought baby spinach yesterday just for this reason! I haven't tried it yet though. I bet it's really good.
  • christina1109
    Options
    I like that you can't really taste the spinach in them. My husband always looks at my smoothies with disdain. My 4 year old drinks them with me.
  • sarahliftsUP
    sarahliftsUP Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    My sister told me about these about a year ago. I was skeptical but it really does taste good - the banana does wonders!

I use almond milk for mine, 1 cup of unsweeted vanilla almond milk is 40 calories.
  • Magenta15
    Magenta15 Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    She also has a WONDERFUL website with all sorts of vegan recipes. www.ohsheglows.com

I've had the green monsters before and they're awesome! I haven't done them in awhile, but I was on a kick there for a few months. They're so adaptable and easy to change up to make different and interesting. I've moved on to her vegan overnight oats. Those are delicious and also easy to change up!

i know! I am not vegan, but I LOVE her site I found it a couple of weeks ago and spent days back tracking her posts... her recipes are great, even though I am not vegan I don't eat a lot of meat and she has some nice ideas. I also enjoy the VOO.... but right now loving the GM! I hate cleaning blenders every morning lol but my magic bullet makes it so easy!!!! whirl and go.

I PROMISE people. cross my heart! you will not taste the spinach.... the banana usually takes over in the ones i make, and pb choco banana? ummm YUM... raw spinach doesn't really have much of a taste to begin with, i promise, even if you don't like spinach try it ONCE!!!
  • hozik
    hozik Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    I love greens in my smoothies, too. I've tried lettuce, spinach, kale and swiss chard in my smoothies since I bought a more powerful blender. If you're looking for even more ideas, try the Vitamix website or any raw vegan website, they usually call them "green smoothies". I like the name green monsters lol
  • Magenta15
    Options
    My sister told me about these about a year ago. I was skeptical but it really does taste good - the banana does wonders!

I use almond milk for mine, 1 cup of unsweeted vanilla almond milk is 40 calories.

:D yep because i use protein powder in mine i only use half skim or soy milk and half water, if i was doing no protein powder i would do all milk. YUM
  • Magenta15
    Options

suck it up puppy! lol I have a great dane who is scared of everything lol...
    not really scared of the blender anymore but he used to come into the kitchen like he had to protect me from it lol!
  • kpopa
    kpopa Posts: 515 Member
    Options

suck it up puppy! lol I have a great dane who is scared of everything lol...
    not really scared of the blender anymore but he used to come into the kitchen like he had to protect me from it lol!

LOL~ Nola, my OES, does that too! She has to protect me from everything, including the dishwasher and the garbage disposal!!! :laugh:
  • Magenta15
    Options
    OES ??? what's this? old english sheepdog?

gotta love doggies :D
  • Magenta15
    Options
    ok so i had an appointment this morning so rushed out the door with a homemade protein bar and off i went, no GM (which i've had the last 4 days) no snacks, no healthy lunch...

well back to my oldself today I realized at 330 I was about ready to have a nap at my desk! (for the last few days my crash hasn't come til 630-7pm)

Back to GM's and a nummy snack and lunches tomorrow!