Eggs

Options
2»

Replies

• Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    Options
    Normally when I use egg whites, I keep the yolk for my fiance who eats it with his eggs. But if he is not around, I throw it out. Egg Beaters is also a great idea for people who do not want to be wasteful since it is the whites without the yolks already.

Another alternative to Egg Beaters (which I don't want to use because of the added ingredients) is egg-white only products - it's 100% egg whites. Usually next to the egg beaters. Our local grocery stores carry a national brand - "All-White" and also store brand versions of this.
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    I also always use the whole egg unless a recipe only calls for the white. Another great purpose for eggs: facial! Whisk up the whites separately and then whisk up the yolk in another bowl. Smear the whites onto your face and let it harden, then rinse off. Blot your face dry, and repeat with the yolk. Then just put on moisturizer. The whites acts as a lightener and tightener and the yolk moisturizes. I'm totally not kidding. I've done this numerous times and I LOVE how my face glows afterward and feels soo soft.
  • LotusF1ower
    LotusF1ower Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options
    I see a lot of recipes and suggestions for things using eggs with only egg white used. I know it's lower cal and high protein etc.

But what do you do with the left over yolk ? Anything or thrown out ? Seems like a waste. Thanks.

Virtually all the goodness is in the yolk, I agree seems a damn waste. Personally, I eat both the white and the yolk.
  • LotusF1ower
    LotusF1ower Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options
    I think that eggs are cheap. I say toss 'em.
    If you need to use them, smear them in your hair. Let them sit for a while and rinse off.
    I use the whole egg unless it calls for just the whites (where it wont turn out if you use the whole egg).

Cheap? Define cheap.
  • themyriadthings
    themyriadthings Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I eat the whole egg too. I'd rather eat fewer eggs overall than throw out the yolk. The yolk ain't cheap to the chicken, that's for sure.
  • Nich0le
    Nich0le Posts: 2,906 Member
    Options
    although the whites are a great option eggs are not the enemy, like with all other foods eggs are a moderation food. The yolks offer great nutrition, more than the white alone. I eat one whole with one white and I absolutely hate egg products or eggs that are separated for you........yuck, :noway:
  • platoon
    platoon Posts: 340
    Options
    I hate eggs, but I've gotten used to eating them hard-boiled in the morning for protein. Easiest breakfast ever - especially when I buy them already prepared from Au Bon Pain. LOL. Lazy. I know.