• judyde
    judyde Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,661 Member
    Options
    did anyone ask what your goals are?

if you plan on gaining mass then even on day one this isn't nearly enough weight.

If you just want to burn calories then there are lots of cardio dumbbell workouts. even at that, it so little weight that it can hardly be said to have a resistance component.

there may be some movements you'll want that light a weight for, but there are other lifts that it will be completely superfluous for
  • No_Finish_Line
    Options
    just google 'youtube cardio dumbbell' and like 20 things come up.

if your stuck with these weights, this type of work out is going to be the most bang for your buck.

trying to do straight weight training with those will be a waste of time.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Bump

I found some routines online, but they don't make much sense and are not really getting great ratings (I can see why, do 3 sets of 3 different biceps exercises in a row... yeahno).

I have heavy weights personally.
  • No_Finish_Line
    Options
    All of the above are great suggestions. My weight workouts are only using dumbbells, but I have an adjustable set that goes from 10 pounds to 55 pounds. It's worth the investment if you want to lift heavy. Load progression is key.

I workout 30 minutes each on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, much like you plan on doing. I looked up compound lifts modified for dumbbells. So now I do the 4 big lifts (OHP, bench, deadlift, squat) modified for dumbbells instead of barbell. Youtube is your friend here.

I also incorporate bodyweight exercises into my routine. I used to hate pushups, but now I enjoy doing them. I'd probably say it's the best full-body bodyweight exercise.

which adjustable bells did you get? I've been toying between the bowflex and the power blocks, seems like each has their ups and downs.

+1 on the body weight. My current routine is all body weight with the exception of deads and squats. check out a guy like Al Kavadlo if you want to see what straight bodyweight can get you- calisthenics progressions are very effective.

I got the Weider adjustable set. It's just like this set in the picture, but mine is a few years old now. I got them at Sears during a Labor Day sale, I think. I wouldn't get a Bowflex set. Those are twice as expensive as others just because you're paying for the name.

weidercore.jpg

the adjustable stuff is fine if you plan on doing classic weight training, but if you do anything a little crazy like doing push ups on the dumbbells, or if you happen to drop one, they are pretty delicate.

The bow flex design has a bunch of plastic discs that rotate as you turn the knob and thus pick up or leave plates on the docking station. i dropped one by accident and chipped the plate and that was that.

other makes may be even more delicate.

you could probably buy the manual adjustable weight dumbbells with collars... you could probably by a few sets and then you could have different weighted dumbbells on hand to use during a work out. that might even be cheaper then some of the auto adjust sets and definetly more durable.

I threw a hissy fit after i broke my select tech and now im dead set on slowly building a set of real dumbbells.
  • No_Finish_Line
    Options
    Bump

I found some routines online, but they don't make much sense and are not really getting great ratings (I can see why, do 3 sets of 3 different biceps exercises in a row... yeahno).

I have heavy weights personally.

I didn't bother looking at any of them, but thats not the type of workout i had in mind.

but, assuming there is more to the workout, i wouldn't i wouldn't say it was totally without merit, unless your doing it with 5 kg