For those that lost it, do people think of you as skinny?

Options
There's a similar topic about this on reddit so I'm totally stealing it cause I wants me some answers! I have been with my job for about 2 years and in that time, everyone has known me as a fatty. If everything goes according to plan (damn right they will!) I'll be 100lbs lighter this year than when I started so it makes me wonder. Over time will people see me and still think of me as that fat guy. Or will my image be remade in their minds as "this is a skinny guy"? I've always wondered this

Replies

• rockmama72
    rockmama72 Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    You'll be they guy that took control and now looks amazing. They'll admire you.
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    Did they really think of you as 'the fat guy'? Or did they just think of you as Steve?
  • mcibty
    mcibty Posts: 1,252 Member
    Options
    No one in my office seems to remember what I looked like when I was fat, they just see me as me.
  • FattyFatsoMcTubby
    FattyFatsoMcTubby Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    People will see you as you are in your current state.

How you will see yourself is what's really interesting to me. I still, at times, make decisions not to do something, like attempt to tie my shoe in public, because I'm too fat to do it. Though I have been able to comfortably do it for months.
  • Tricep_A_Tops_
    Tricep_A_Tops_ Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I lost 83 lbs and im still fat in my mind but the way others see me is completely different, especially when it cones to strangers.
  • tmauck4472
    tmauck4472 Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    I still have 60 lbs to go and people see me as skinny. I have days where I feel like I'm still 400 lbs but then I have days where I'm so happy where I am now and feel skinny.
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    Even when I still have some flab, I have people describing me as 'skinny' - partly through knowing how I used to look and partly because I've got a big rib cage etc, so any flab is well hidden.
  • Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Mia_RagazzaTosta Posts: 4,885 Member
    Options
    Chances are, you're the only one who will still see the "fat guy" when you lose the weight.
  • AstorMiles
    AstorMiles Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I went from a size 16 to a size 10 about a decade ago, and over the past 5 years I have slowly, gradually gone down to size 6-8. I am still surprised when people I meet now think of me as slender. In my head, I'm still bigger than I look. It may have something to do with the fact that some people from my past are still waiting for me to gain back the weight - even a decade later. Gotta love frenemies ;)
  • Losingthedamnweight
    Losingthedamnweight Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    Did they really think of you as 'the fat guy'? Or did they just think of you as Steve?

I hope they didn't think of me as Steve. That would mean after 2 years, they still don't even know my name.

As I lose weight, I wonder how big of a deal my loss is to anybody or if they even notice. Since my coworkers see me everyday and the weight loss is coming a little slow, maybe there won't be that huge "OMG you're skinny now I gotta get used to that" feeling from everybody else. I think after I lose my 100th lb they'll all notice I lost all the weight, but that it won't be a big deal because they've seen me do it everyday little by little. Over time, when I'm skinny for a year, I think it'll probably just be the norm. Me being fat will just be one of those "oh yeah. You were a little big back then" type of things
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    In all honesty once people have a view of you it is very hard to change it...

I personally feel that as I have lost weight people are happy for me...but are waiting to see when I put it back on...

Why because that is what a lot of people do...I've watched tonnes do the same.

People are always saying holy crap you've lost a lot...or wow you are so small now...or my Dad saying things like...this is the smallest you've ever been...

They forget in my late teens early 20's I was this small (I had my prom dress from grade 12 on last month and it fit)...but over the last 20 years...since my child has been born I have been over weight...

But to be frank I don't care what other people see or think...and neither should you.
  • cuinboston2014
    cuinboston2014 Posts: 848 Member
    Options
    This is probably different for everyone and depends on your environment.

For me, after losing and maintaing 100lb loss my extended family who i see only two times a year on average wlil always make comments like "You're so skinny now" when I'm not. i'm still 7 pounds overweight and about 30 pounds fro mmy goal...

My friends, however don't ever think about my fat days unless I bring them up. Same with my immediate family. My old job where I worked when I lost the weight, people would still comment a year or two later.

Most people will forget that you were ever big unless you bring it up. OR if they begint alking about you - like this is Steve he used to be really big and he did a really goo djob losing weight. Or something along those lines. Yes, those conversations really happen and it means that people are proud/impressed.

But - who cares what anyone thinks. You'll kill this ;)
  • tech_kitten
    tech_kitten Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    They now call me Skinny Jenn. I think that they are proud of me for how much weight I've lost in 5 years, but it comes with that twinge of "you used to be so fat" behind it. However, I take it positively, because now, people tell me how good I look, and I like the attention. My self esteem was(is?) awful, so encouragement is always welcome.
  • ChoiceNotChance
    ChoiceNotChance Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    People who see me every day tell me they don't remember what I looked like before. They just see me as I am now, 60 lbs lighter.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    Yes people see me as skinny now. I even get some "you don't eve have to try" comments from people who knew me when I was heavy. Which is both funny and irritating.
  • Escloflowne
    Escloflowne Posts: 2,038 Member
    Options
    There's a similar topic about this on reddit so I'm totally stealing it cause I wants me some answers! I have been with my job for about 2 years and in that time, everyone has known me as a fatty. If everything goes according to plan (damn right they will!) I'll be 100lbs lighter this year than when I started so it makes me wonder. Over time will people see me and still think of me as that fat guy. Or will my image be remade in their minds as "this is a skinny guy"? I've always wondered this

Well what you're after happened to me, the other day one of my coworkers said they don't even remember that I used to be fat. It's weird honestly.

Same here, some high school friends saw my before and after and said they never remember me that big!
  • summertime_girl
    summertime_girl Posts: 3,945 Member
    Options
    I think people forgot how fat I used to be. Hell, I've forgotten until I glance at an old photo.
  • BeckyMBisMe
    BeckyMBisMe Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    one co-worker started calling me "little" Becky after I had lost a bunch of weight
  • lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    Options

Well what you're after happened to me, the other day one of my coworkers said they don't even remember that I used to be fat. It's weird honestly.

Same here, some high school friends saw my before and after and said they never remember me that big!

Happened to me as well with friends.