Down 190, featured on my gym's website

Options
I've been on this journey toward fitness since Memorial Day 2012. MFP and my pals on here have been a tremendous source of inspiration and motivation. I'm down around 190 now and things are going well. I can't help but remember the beginning and how anxious I was to make changes but also how intimidating it all seemed. I used to read the success stories first thing in the morning to inspire me to get moving, last thing at night to go to bed in a positive mood and anytime I just needed a boost during the day. Reading about others successes kept me motivated those first few weeks before the good habits set in.

My gym recently decided to updated their website and asked if it would be okay to add some before and after photos along with a short description (by me) of my experience at the gym. I wasn't really keen on having my photo up there for all to see. Frankly, it's embarrassing that I was so out of control for so long. Then I thought back to my early days starting out and how seeing others success fueled me to go on. That's when I knew I had to do it. I know the gym wants to use my story to get new members, which is fine. My hope is that someone in the position I was two years ago, someone wanting to make changes, will see my photos and read my thoughts and take that first step.

Here's a link to my story:
http://platformgym.com/?p=426

Here's what I wrote:
"Joining a gym is intimidating.

I was 470 pounds in September 2012. I had lost 50 pounds in the months leading up to joining Platform Gym by changing my diet and swimming but knew I wanted something else. Still, joining a gym intimidated me.

“Gyms are for athletic people. Fat guys don’t belong in the gym.”
“They’re all going to stare at you and point and laugh.”

I didn’t even get out of my truck the first evening when I went to sign up. I just sat out in the parking lot and let my preconceived notion of a gym keep me away. I left feeling pretty defeated that night.

Determined to sign up, I stopped by the following evening and worked up the courage to go inside. Cindy happened to be working and after a quick tour got me signed up as a member. The following day I went in for my first workout.

In and out as quick as possible, I don’t remember even speaking to anyone. I was more worried about people watching me or getting in someone’s way than actually getting in a workout. My first few trips were pretty much the same. Little by little I got more comfortable and as I got more comfortable I started to realize that no one cared.

No one cared that I was a fat guy.

No one cared that I was weak.

None of my negative preconceived notions of a gym were true.

It’s been year and half now and I’ve become a regular at Platform Gym. I’ve still got a ways to go to reach my fitness goals but I’m down another 140 pounds and I’m in the best shape I’ve ever been in. The staff and other members have all been extremely supportive and helped motivate me."

Replies

Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!