Gym or Classes

Options
veggiebound
veggiebound Posts: 78 Member
When I do cardio and resistance machines at the gym, I'm ok the next day...

but when I do an aerobics/circuit class, ( I've only tried 2, and only completed 1 session of each) I hurt for 3 days after - like not able to walk and have to take painkillers just to be at home. Should I give up classes and stick to the gym only or persevere with the classes as my muscles seem to react to classes more?

Replies

212019156 Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    If you have just started you probably will be sore. At the gym you may not be pushing yourself hard enough.
  • LauraCarlson86
    Options
    I've found that classes definitely give me a better work out! You are kind of forced to push yourself harder than you would if you were working out solo (at least I am). The soreness will subside. Just make sure to stretch before AND after a workout and possibly invest in a foam roller to work out the soreness in your muscles.
  • Dogwalkingirl
    Dogwalkingirl Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    You will hurt at the classes because you are new to doing them and you are using muscle groups you haven't used before. It will get easier I swear! If you are not sore at all after doing your cardio at the gym you have not pushed yourself hard enough.

8 weeks ago I started taking a bootcamp class and after my first 2 classes I could hardly bend to sit on the toilet and had to walk down the stairs sideways. I now push myself WAY harder to feel the 'burn' and have incorporated lifting and using heavier weights instead of resistance bands at my bootcamp class because it was gettin 'easier' not EASY but..I needed more. Promise me you will improve.

Also a tip it to take a bath in epsom salts after your workout and stretch stretch stretch.
  • sianquin
    sianquin Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Def abit of both, I do classes for my cardio (even ones aimed at weights are upbeat enough for me to class them as cardio) and i really only do weights in the gym.

When i first started the gym I jumped straight in with a spin class which I was late for and missed the warm up! Not really realising how bad it was I just jumped in at the same level as everyone else. I could hardly go for a pee after as getting up and sitting down was so painful! However i pushed threw and went again about 3 days later still feeling very sore and the class actually helped loosen me up. My point is try to work threw it and keep the muscles warm and active and it will hurt.2 weeks later I was doing 3 spin classes a week and recovered by lunchtime. Now I'm recovered before i leave the car park.

Protein helps reduce the risk of muscle soreness. If its really sore rest up it could be DOMS and if its still sore about a week later might be best to go see a doctor.
  • veggiebound
    veggiebound Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Many thanks for the replies, I have decided that I should re-start on the classes tomorrow and hopefully I will get used to them as my fitness improves :D
  • missabeez
    missabeez Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    When i first started body pump, my legs wouldn't function for days. After a month or so, I've been getting used to it and don't feel it at all. Actually...that may mean I should increase my weights again lol...
  • toiletski
    toiletski Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    When you're sore the next day, DO NOT QUIT! Keep those muscles working!