first week at GYM but put on 4lbs

Options
Hi all

ive been on a diet for the past 3 weeks, the first two weeks i lost 3lbs doing no exercise. Ive joined the GYM i do 1 hr 30mins cardio on the machines and i bike it there and back home thats 20 mins each way. Am eating healthy the only thing ive done is eat my dinner when i get back home from gym. Today i weighed myself and ive put on 4lbs, not very happy.

my daily meals

b: cornflakes, milk, 1tsp sugar
s: glass of milk
d: 2x bread, ham or tuna or cheese with salad, 1 tsp of butter, banana or orange
t. *jacket potateo with 1tsp butter, salad, 2tsp coleslaw, cheese or bake beans or tuna( sometimes i have just noodles)
s. fruit
drinks: water, coffee with milk

any advise would be great thanks

Replies

• SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    Hi all

ive been on a diet for the past 3 weeks, the first two weeks i lost 3lbs doing no exercise. Ive joined the GYM i do 1 hr 30mins cardio on the machines and i bike it there and back home thats 20 mins each way. Am eating healthy the only thing ive done is eat my dinner when i get back home from gym. Today i weighed myself and ive put on 4lbs, not very happy.

my daily meals

d: 2x bread, ham or tuna or cheese with salad, 1 tsp of butter, banana or orange
    t. *jacket potateo with 1tsp butter, salad, 2tsp coleslaw, cheese or bake beans or tuna( sometimes i have just noodles)
    s. fruit

Is that one meal, or your entire day?
  • BigTireFlipper
    BigTireFlipper Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    No worries. It's probably all water. sodium and processed carbs can contribute to retention. Hard workouts cause micro-tears in muscle which also fill in with fluid. (more retention). Take 2 days off, watch your carbs and sodium (eat good carbs) and then re-weigh. :) That's my best guess without seeing actual diary entries and macro totals.

Edit:
    I see you asked almost the same question last year and the response was that your diary was showing that you were not eating enough for the exercise you were getting in. Have you been logging your food somewhere else?.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1078656-insanity-am-i-eating-right
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    You're not logging your food. So unless you're eating exactly what you just said for the past 3 weeks and know for sure that it's within your 1590 calorie goal, you have no idea what your calorie intake is.
  • asciident
    asciident Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Hi all

my daily meals

s. fruit

I think the letters at the start of each line indicate breakfast, snack, dinner, tea, snack.

OP, when did you join the gym? If it was just recently (like in the last week or so) your muscles are probably retaining glycogen stores to repair themselves due to increased/new activity. Also weight can vary quite a bit (several pounds) day to day for a variety of reasons (sodium intake, that time of the month, etc.). It's doubtful you lost 3 lbs of fat and regained 4 lbs of fat (notice I'm saying fat, not weight) in 3 weeks. Be patient and persistent.

edit: also I didn't check your diary, but do be sure you're accurately and honestly logging your food to make sure you're eating within your calorie goals.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    Also let me add that you should probably eat more protein. Weigh and log all your food, too. I'm willing to bet the 4 pounds gained is mostly water weight, but impossible to know for sure since you have no data to go by.
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    You're not logging your food. So unless you're eating exactly what you just said for the past 3 weeks and know for sure that it's within your 1590 calorie goal, you have no idea what your calorie intake is.
    ^^^This.

Log everything you eat & drink accurately & honestly. Every thing. Logging is simple, but it ain't easy.

Read this: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    Options
    Hi all

my daily meals

s. fruit

I think the letters at the start of each line indicate breakfast, snack, dinner, tea, snack.

OP, when did you join the gym? If it was just recently (like in the last week or so) your muscles are probably retaining glycogen stores to repair themselves due to increased/new activity. Also weight can vary quite a bit (several pounds) day to day for a variety of reasons (sodium intake, that time of the month, etc.). It's doubtful you lost 3 lbs of fat and regained 4 lbs of fat (notice I'm saying fat, no weight) in 3 weeks. Be patient and persistent.

I was being flippant because if I were to guess, that's like ~1000 calories, coupled with nearly 2hrs of various intensity cardio.
  • ChrysalisCove
    ChrysalisCove Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    1. You almost certainly are not eating enough. Calculate your TDEE, then subtract 20% for a healthy deficit. Calculate your BMR & always stay above this (NET) at an absolute minimum.

http://iifym.com/1repmax-calculator/
    http://www.bmi-calculator.net/bmr-calculator/

2. You probably lost water weight by cutting your calories so low & depleted you muscles' stores. Going to the gym has been forcing these stores to replenish & repair muscle - which is a good thing, actually.

3. Take your weight the same time of day, in the same level of clothing, after at least one "rest" day (not sore from an intense workout) & after a day of normal sodium consumption (ie not after "Pizza Night") This helps lessen the chance of false fluctuations.
  • lambchristie
    lambchristie Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    You really eat the same thing day in and day out? You need variety. You need more protein and you don't need all that cardio. Try mixing up your food selections and add in weight training.
  • autumnsquirrel
    autumnsquirrel Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    Hi all

my daily meals

s. fruit

You should log everything to get a better understanding of calories, carbs, sugar, sodium, etc.
  • mable007
    mable007 Posts: 2
    Options
    Hi

Girl - I learned the key. It's 80% diet and 20% exercise. Here's what you need to add to your diet: FIBER!!!!!!

Your body needs to be able to breakdown and process what you're eating so that you can digest well. Kashi foods are a great source of fiber. Start looking at your labels and make sure you are getting your daily dietary intake of fiber wherever possible. You need that. You also need to overload on water.....drink like 16 glasses per day. There are only 2 ways that fat leaves your system: (1) perspiration and (2) urine. That's why drinking lots and lots of water is important.

Also, you need to add snacks in between your meals, to keep your metabolism high. Greek yogurt is a great snack -- it's loaded with protein and it fills you up.

A good colon cleanse (colonic) will get rid of unnecessary waste reserves and toxins in your system. It's all natural, 0 pain and you'll lose several pounds just by doing the procedure. (It will make you feel good). You can go to Yelp.com and find someone reputable in your area if you don't have a friend or family member to make a recommendation.

Last, you're probably not eating enough for the workout you're doing. If you deprive yourself, your body will retain fat reserves.

I hope this helps. You definitely need to modify your diet and make sure not only are you getting enough dietary fiber (it seems like you've got 0 based on the list), but also adequate protein and drinking lots and lots of water to flush everything -- toxins and fat out.

You can and will do it! It's not the workout you need to modify. It's definitely your diet.
  • mable007
    mable007 Posts: 2
    Options
    And you need vitamins. OMG....make sure you are taking your vitamin supplements.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    Hi

Girl - I learned the key. It's 80% diet and 20% exercise. Here's what you need to add to your diet: FIBER!!!!!!

Your body needs to be able to breakdown and process what you're eating so that you can digest well. Kashi foods are a great source of fiber. Start looking at your labels and make sure you are getting your daily dietary intake of fiber wherever possible. You need that. You also need to overload on water.....drink like 16 glasses per day. There are only 2 ways that fat leaves your system: (1) perspiration and (2) urine. That's why drinking lots and lots of water is important.

Also, you need to add snacks in between your meals, to keep your metabolism high. Greek yogurt is a great snack -- it's loaded with protein and it fills you up.

A good colon cleanse (colonic) will get rid of unnecessary waste reserves and toxins in your system. It's all natural, 0 pain and you'll lose several pounds just by doing the procedure. (It will make you feel good). You can go to Yelp.com and find someone reputable in your area if you don't have a friend or family member to make a recommendation.

Last, you're probably not eating enough for the workout you're doing. If you deprive yourself, your body will retain fat reserves.

I hope this helps. You definitely need to modify your diet and make sure not only are you getting enough dietary fiber (it seems like you've got 0 based on the list), but also adequate protein and drinking lots and lots of water to flush everything -- toxins and fat out.

You can and will do it! It's not the workout you need to modify. It's definitely your diet.

No. Virtually none of this is correct.

Yes, you want fiber. Yes, you want to ensure you're fueling your workouts. The rest, not at all.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    Options
    Hi

Huh? There's liquified fat in pee?

About the only thing you said that makes sense is that she is not eating enough and that Kashi is a great source of fiber.