C25k

Options
I am wanting to start C25K on April 1 (when our new gym opens). But I am not a runner... I cant figure out how to breathe properly and I get shin splints. I have really good running shoes so I know its not them. Does anyone have any advice on how I can make the transition to being a runner easier?

Replies

• chrisrandleman
    chrisrandleman Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I'm not the best to give advice, as I'm not much of a runner, but I'm trying. The advice I would give is start slow, listen to your body. remember it's a work in progress.
  • Of_Monsters_and_Meat
    Of_Monsters_and_Meat Posts: 1,022 Member
    Options
    Slow down.

Don't hit on your heal. land on the front or middle of your foot.

Breathing just will come naturally. If you get side stitches, exhale when the side that doesn't hurt lands.

Why wait till April 1?
  • bmannen1
    bmannen1 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Slow down.

Breathing just will come naturally. If you get side stitches, exhale when the side that doesn't hurt lands.

Why wait till April 1?

There is too much snow and ice on the sidewalks so I am waiting for the new gym 3 minutes from my work to open so I can go before work or at lunch. When I get off work I have twin babies to take care of so I can go to the gym near my house at this time.
  • wilsoje74
    wilsoje74 Posts: 1,720 Member
    Options
    I also vote for starting now! I live in MN and going to run outside today. Follow the plan, run slow, don't give up.
  • mnsmov15
    mnsmov15 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    I used c25k to get started too. I had never run in my life until 2009. I just started running around the block in my apartment community with c25k and now I run regularly and love it.
    Key is to start slow. Never run fast - especially when you are beginning. Being slower will never hurt. Going faster than you can manage only causes injuries and makes you sore and demotivated.

Run only 3X as per c25k. If you are not ready to increase the weekly runs do the same week/day again. Good luck!
  • LoggingForLife
    LoggingForLife Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    Start slowly. Don't worry about what those around you think. Don't give up, it gets easier.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    I cant figure out how to breathe properly...

Slow down a bit
    and I get shin splints.

Could be a number of things, but the general thoughts would be form, you're overreaching, or pace, you're going too fast. I used to get shinsplints, but by taking things easier I've avoided it over the last year, including using a C25K programme.
    I have really good running shoes so I know its not them.

What do you mean by that? Did you get them fitted or did you take that from reviews?

There are several types of gait, some of which need different types of shoe to avoid injury. Personally I over-pronate, which means I need a control shoe rather than a heavily cushioned shoe.
  • bmannen1
    Options
    I cant figure out how to breathe properly...

Slow down a bit
    and I get shin splints.

Could be a number of things, but the general thoughts would be form, you're overreaching, or pace, you're going too fast. I used to get shinsplints, but by taking things easier I've avoided it over the last year, including using a C25K programme.
    I have really good running shoes so I know its not them.

What do you mean by that? Did you get them fitted or did you take that from reviews?

There are several types of gait, some of which need different types of shoe to avoid injury. Personally I over-pronate, which means I need a control shoe rather than a heavily cushioned shoe.

I got them fitted
  • scottyg70
    scottyg70 Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    Slow down.

Why wait till April 1?

^^^ This! Rule of thumb is your pace should allow you to carry on a conversation. If you can't: SLOW DOWN. If you're getting shin splints it could be a number of factors. You're probably going to fast and too far to quickly, or you're heel striking.

Read this: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1217573-so-you-want-to-start-running

Best advice I have read for beginning runners and she covers it all!
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    I got them fitted

In that case it's probably gait related, so keep your pace short, land with your foot only barely in front of your body mass and push yourself forward from there.

For C25K aim to run at a pace that you can talk at, it'll feel slow but the purpose of an interval based plan like that is that it's progressive. You build up to continuous running and once you can run for 30 minutes at a time you can start thinking about increasing your speed.
  • JoelleAnn78
    JoelleAnn78 Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options
    My best advice is to just do what the program says to do. If you follow it to the letter you wil be successful. Go slowly and DO NOT give up. It's the best starter program I have ever done, and I thought I would die when I started! Now, I am a runner. You can be, too.
  • stellaluna431
    stellaluna431 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Everyone has already said what I was going to say. I started running with C25K and couldn't even run the first 60-seconds without needing to stop. I was "not a runner," either. I just ran my first marathon in November... and started running last February (2013).

With breathing, run slow enough that you're able to hold a conversation. Great way to help with this? Run with a friend. Talk to them as you run. I know that can be hard- especially with C25K, and working out the walk/run intervals- but if you can do it, definitely try it!

In regards to shin splints, I have had them too and it was the result of doing too much, too fast. When I FINALLY was able to achieve that first 20-minute, non-stop run that was ALL I wanted to do. Run non-stop. C25K has you go back to intervals for another week or two, and then back to the non-stop running. I didn't want to "regress" to intervals so I just kept up with the non-stop running. I also wanted to run more than the three times a week that they suggested. Bad idea. Stick to the program. Don't run more than your body dictates. Rest well and make sure you're stretching afterward. Let me say that again: make sure you're stretching afterward.

I know you say you have good shoes and that you were fitted for them, but maybe they aren't the right shoes for you. Were you fitted at a big box store, or at a running store? Did they watch you run to determine your gait? Did they look at your other shoes for a wear pattern? My first trip to a running store was a real eye-opener. I didn't realize it'd be a learning experience in and of itself: I sat and talked with the salesman a good half hour/45 minutes before even trying a pair on. Then I learned that my crappy Nikes were not at all what I needed to be running in...

I hope you can find what works for you because it could truly change your life :) It's really hard at first and difficult to find the things that work for you, but once you find that fit you'll wonder why you didn't start sooner.

Annnnd sorry for the novel! I guess I'm a little passionate haha
  • bmannen1
    Options
    Everyone has already said what I was going to say. I started running with C25K and couldn't even run the first 60-seconds without needing to stop. I was "not a runner," either. I just ran my first marathon in November... and started running last February (2013).

With breathing, run slow enough that you're able to hold a conversation. Great way to help with this? Run with a friend. Talk to them as you run. I know that can be hard- especially with C25K, and working out the walk/run intervals- but if you can do it, definitely try it!

In regards to shin splints, I have had them too and it was the result of doing too much, too fast. When I FINALLY was able to achieve that first 20-minute, non-stop run that was ALL I wanted to do. Run non-stop. C25K has you go back to intervals for another week or two, and then back to the non-stop running. I didn't want to "regress" to intervals so I just kept up with the non-stop running. I also wanted to run more than the three times a week that they suggested. Bad idea. Stick to the program. Don't run more than your body dictates. Rest well and make sure you're stretching afterward. Let me say that again: make sure you're stretching afterward.

I know you say you have good shoes and that you were fitted for them, but maybe they aren't the right shoes for you. Were you fitted at a big box store, or at a running store? Did they watch you run to determine your gait? Did they look at your other shoes for a wear pattern? My first trip to a running store was a real eye-opener. I didn't realize it'd be a learning experience in and of itself: I sat and talked with the salesman a good half hour/45 minutes before even trying a pair on. Then I learned that my crappy Nikes were not at all what I needed to be running in...

I hope you can find what works for you because it could truly change your life :) It's really hard at first and difficult to find the things that work for you, but once you find that fit you'll wonder why you didn't start sooner.

Annnnd sorry for the novel! I guess I'm a little passionate haha
    I went to a running store for them:)
  • mamahannick
    mamahannick Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    C25k is the perfect program for beginners. Aim to run at a comfortable pace for the running intervals until you've completed the program all the way through, then focus on increasing your speed.

I am doing it right now too, and my goal is to be able to run the distance without stopping, however slowly, then start to bump up the speed as I gain strength and endurance as a runner again (I ran before getting pregnant with my daughter then never really got back into it until now).