Why Women Lift

Options

Replies

• singlefemalelawyer
    singlefemalelawyer Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    It clears my mind and makes me feel good about myself. And I LOVE feeling sore the next day. I've never looked better than I have now, and I look forward to seeing where I can take my body in the future.
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,377 Member
    Options
    1. For my *kitten*.

2. For my *kitten*.

3. For my *kitten*.

4. Cuz muscle looks and feels fantastic.

5. For strong bones.

QFT :drinker:

QFQFT :drinker:
  • arabianhorselover
    arabianhorselover Posts: 1,488 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately you can only do so much for bat wings.

I still love my cardio too (especially spinning, kayaking and hiking outdoors) but the effects of lifting weights are the bomb. It always amazes me when women say they will start lifting weights after they lose weight since they have to concentrate on cardio thinking that weights will render this process. Lifting weights is great for practical things like daily chores and keeping muscle mass as you grow older .

However, if you are looking for real motivation think of the day you have lost inches and you look down at the sides of your thighs and see long sexy indents or you look at arms and see "guns" instead of "bat wings". All the hard work will seem like slowly unwrapping a gift to yourself. As someone else on MFP has already said "skinny girls look good in clothes, strong girls look good naked".

Some clothes at the gym will still be a good idea :).
  • Willbenchforcupcakes
    Willbenchforcupcakes Posts: 4,955 Member
    Options
    I lift because there is no better therapy than pushing around a ton of iron.
    Because there is no better feeling than showing myself I am stronger than I was last week, last month, and last year.
    Because my girls deserve a mom who is a great role model.
    Knowing that showing how strong I can make my body just proves how strong my mind is.
    Because I normally love being able to outeat most men.

And because I flat out love being a beast in the gym!
  • CMoeDee
    CMoeDee Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I'll put it this way: I run because I'm bad at it. I lift because I'm good at it.

Also, though? I got the entire costco run's worth of stuff upstairs in one trip and that is some serious business.
  • bebrooksie
    Options
    To sculpt thighs that would crush a cinder block :)
  • silverinc13
    silverinc13 Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    My profile photo - that's why I lift. Not to mention it's awesome and makes me feel amazing! :D
  • Ashly744
    Ashly744 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I love cardio but I recently added weights to my routine and I love it. At first I wasn't so sure but now I look forward to it and have slowly increased my weights since. I recently upped my weights in the squat rack and felt like a bad a** b****. :smile:

I love the way it feels.
    I'm looking forward to the results.
    I can eat more. I feel full instead of hungry.
    I love that I am getting stronger.
    I can ask for less help from my fiance. Now if only I wasn't so short and I could reach things. :laugh:
  • lmr0528
    lmr0528 Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    I'm still a beginner to lifting, but am loving it! I'm so enjoying reading everyone's reasons why they love it, and it's inspiring me to keep going with it!
  • sevsmom
    sevsmom Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    A friend of mine, who is a BEAST, said "Fat is fluffy."

I agree.

I don't want to look like a fluffy over 40 woman. I want to look as sleek and lean as my lifestyle can acommodate. Thus, I like to lift. When I hang up my running shoes, I plan to get much more indepth with my lifting and really focus only on that. Right now I lift to enhance my appearence & improve my running.
  • WillLift4Tats
    WillLift4Tats Posts: 1,699 Member
    Options
    1. For my *kitten*.

2. For my *kitten*.

3. For my *kitten*.

4. Cuz muscle looks and feels fantastic.

5. For strong bones.
    THIS. My *kitten* has actually become...an *kitten*! It's amazing.
    Pretty much this. I feel like I'm dying when I do cardio. I feel empowered when I weight train.

And when I say "dying" I mean "dying of boredom because it sucks" not "dying because I'm out of shape."

And this. I love being at the gym now. I feel powerful!
  • mackemom
    mackemom Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    AWESOME reasons! love this thread....
    Mine are to help me torch this fat off my body faster, to enable me to eat more, and because it's something me and my husband are doing together now so that's good, too. I really think about the future, too. I'm 49 and I don't plan on being in a nursing home. I have solid plans to get stronger, prettier, faster! ;)
  • Cre8veLifeR
    Cre8veLifeR Posts: 1,062 Member
    Options
    for MANY reasons!!

I love to feel and BE strong. I love my sexy arms & shoulders (I am going to ROCK tank tops this summer). I love havinng a great *kitten* -- and legs. It makes me feel and look much younger, and to top it all off, muscle burns fat so my RMR is higher than if I just did cardio. And last but not least-- the eye candy at the gym is NOT on treadmills. :wink:
  • xmichaelyx
    xmichaelyx Posts: 883 Member
    Options
    I lift so when I get old I can continue to live independently.

This gets overlooked, but is one of the most important reasons for lifting. It may not be my primary reason for lifting, but someday it'll be an important side effect.
  • spicegeek
    spicegeek Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    I like being strong

I enjoy the technical aspects of the core lifts like squats and deadlifts and focus on form

I get to hang out with the guys

I believe that lifting helps me be the best runner I can be and helps keep me injury free - which is the other exercise and enjoy
  • Leadfoot_Lewis
    Leadfoot_Lewis Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    I lift because...

-I like being strong
    -It's something I really do enjoy doing.
    -Health benefits
    -The superficial part of me likes looking better than most chicks half my age.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    I lift because...

-I like being strong
    -It's something I really do enjoy doing.
    -Health benefits
    -The superficial part of me likes looking better than most chicks half my age.

This and almost everything else that has been said...and because it took my *kitten* from the top pic to the bottom pic...

b4ea3a0b-3ab6-4365-a198-c82b61b9a308_zps992f416c.jpg
  • ChoiceNotChance
    ChoiceNotChance Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    This is an AWESOME thread. I'm so inspired!
  • Tashia_HH
    Tashia_HH Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Because I feel and look sexy!
  • Tashia_HH
    Tashia_HH Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Because it's so much better to 'Act like a lady & lift like a boss' than to be skinny!

Best thread I've seen in awhile!

This ^^^^