Working out hard but not losing weight

Options
AlliSteff
AlliSteff Posts: 211 Member
In August 2013, I decided to get back into great shape. I started tracking on MFP app, but not posting in a forum. I am at the gym typically 5 days a week. I usually aim to net 1400 calories after a few months of aiming for 1200 and not losing anything, a nutritionist thought I was consuming too little. I have raised my calories, but have put on 4 lbs this week alone! I am 5'-3", now about 143 lb. I am certianly putting on muscle and getting much stronger (cardio is so much better, too!)...but the scale will not budge. I have dropped a size and I look completely different, but still no weight change!

To give you a run down of my schedule:

Monday: Kickboxing- 1 hour
Tuesday: Spinning- 45 minutes followed by a 1 hour cross training class (TRX, Medicine Ball, and Kettle Bells)
Wednesday: Off
Thursday: Kickboxing- 45 minutes
Friday: Off
Saturday: spinning - 1 hour followed by a 30 minute ab work class
Sunday: Spinning- 45 minutes followed by a 1 hour weights class (similar to a Body Pump type class)

So I am usually working out pretty hard 6-7 hours a week. I also live in NY and walk most places on a daily basis. I jsut don't know what I am missing? I surely can add a few more veggies into my diet, but I seemingly keep an ok diet and maintain a decent activity level.

My goal was always to get to 125/130....but I am so frustrated, even though I am seeing progress. Any advice?

Replies

• eddiesmith1
    eddiesmith1 Posts: 1,550 Member
    Options
    if you are changing in measurements but not weight you are building muscle
    there are a lot of variables no-one can speak to without knowing facts
    Height current weight etc
    Also are you weighing everthing you log? if not you could actually be consuming more
    Also are you drinking enough water (there may be some retention there)
    My goal weight may well not be what i settle for as the measurements are also part of the equation
    I know from my youth I can have a similar size but vary by as much as 15-18 pounds depending on muscle mass
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    I am certianly putting on muscle and getting much stronger (cardio is so much better, too!)... I have dropped a size and I look completely different, but still no weight change!

It's working!!! Don't get too tied down to the scale. You are doing great.
  • roxielu0422
    roxielu0422 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I agree, don't get tied to the scale. But you might not be eating enough. Look at your calories and protein intake.
  • djn2014
    djn2014 Posts: 1
    Options
    I'm glad to have found this thread. I have trouble losing weight when I work out. It slows down to a crawl. I usually quit everything out of frustration a few weeks into it. I'm told it will kick in later if I just keep going. Is that true?
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    Yes. Your weight will go down if you eat in a caloric deficit - eat less calories than you burn. Too often we over estimate our caloric burn and under estimate what we 're eating. However sometimes it could be water retention. All of you seeking advice please set your diary to Public. And answer the how long have you been tracking. / working out , are you weighing and measuring all your food, etc questions.
  • Via88
    Via88 Posts: 46
    Options
    I also work out hard, twice a day...and at first I was having trouble loosing weight and really couldn't wrap my brain around that idea. I was thinking, "I'm burning so many cals, how is it possible that i'm staying the same or even gaining?!?" But then, I got real with myself when it came to two things, my food and water. On weeks where I was lax with my food/calories and water, I gained or stayed the same. When I really make sure to get enough water (about a gallon) and count my calories very accurately, I would loose. So maybe go back to the drawing board with your food and water? That might be where the problem is, but I also think the fact that you can visibly see changes in your body is a big plus! So take that with you for sure and know that there is progress being made!
  • AlliSteff
    AlliSteff Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    To give a little more info, I do sit a lot at work. I do walk and take the subway to work, though- so each way I walk approximately 1 mile rather briskly. So 2 miles of walking plus 5 days a week at the gym doing a pretty good work out.

I do think I need more water. I am also on a medication that I have read causes people to gain weight.....I am working my way off of it. It is a medication that helps keep my lupus in check (oh, os many issues!)

I am pretty good at measuring my food, but can always do a re-boot. i have had many days lately where my net calories are like 800-1000...which seems far too low, but I get nervous to eat more. I am trying to consume more worthwhile calories, but struggle. Today I was actually hungry! I also have type 1 diabetes, which is a beast in itself- sometimes I am forced to eat when I don't want to. It gets so frustrating
  • fredman2
    fredman2 Posts: 57
    Options
    I too am under my numbers for everything - but sodium.
    How are those numbers?
  • Kimmers411
    Kimmers411 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I'm glad to have found this thread. I have trouble losing weight when I work out. It slows down to a crawl. I usually quit everything out of frustration a few weeks into it. I'm told it will kick in later if I just keep going. Is that true?

I did a three month "Jump Into Fitness Challenge" in 2011, and this was the first time I had ever developed an exercise routine/commitment. At the time, I only weighed 183 (about 25-30 pounds over my healthy range). During that three months, I lost lots of inches, but only about 3-5 pounds. I was disappointed with the lack of scale movement, but I kept with it. I continued to get stronger (cardio 5x a week, weights at least 2x a week), and eventually my weight started coming off. I lost 20 pounds in about six months after that first three month challenge concluded, which was a much faster rate than the initial 3 months. Plus I was much stronger and leaner than I had been in the past trying to lose by diet alone.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    1) there's no way you're building muscle eating so little, especially without doing any real weight lifting. You're probably increasing your endurance though.
    2) a 4 lb weight gain is water. If you're really eating 1400 (assuming you weigh your food), there's absolutely no way it's fat.
    3) you can probably eat more than that and lose weight. I'm 35, 5'5", 136 lbs, and I've been losing eating 1600 a day (actually lost 2.5 lb this month and I've been going over a lot). I pretty much do some weight lifting 3x a week for 15 minutes and walk 3 miles a day. I suggest you check out http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/ to find a reasonable goal (20% deficit).
  • FitMelody4Life
    FitMelody4Life Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I took a quick look at your diary.

Problem #1: you are inconsistent with your logging. The only way to have success is tracking everything that you eat and you can't do that without logging.

#2 Looks like you are using the MFP recommended macros, which I'm sorry to say but they are horrible. Especially for someone like you who is working out you should be set for a much higher protein intake. Ease up on the carbs and up your protein. Your fat number looked to be set about right but you are constantly under eating your fats.

#3 You are measuring with cups and tablespoons. Weigh everything because you can end up so far off from what you think you ate if you don’t weigh everything out to the gram on a food scale. A good example of this is my morning oatmeal: a serving is 1/2 cup or 40g. Well when I measure out 1/2 C and weigh it it’s actually 55 grams so right there I'm way over in carbs and calories without even knowing it.

So make these adjustments and I think you will be more successful.
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    You're underestimating your food &/or overestimating your burns. Weigh your food. Eat back half your exercise calories.

Read this: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options
    1) there's no way you're building muscle eating so little, especially without doing any real weight lifting. You're probably increasing your endurance though.

This. I am not sure why people think putting on muscle comes easy. Doing all that cardio would more likely be catabolic.
  • littlekitty3
    littlekitty3 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    Up your calories. You can't expect to gain muscle on a defecit. Even if you are trying to burn fat there is a line where the body just holds onto it. Build muscle and do hiit cardio. Or combine them.
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    I took a quick look at your diary.

Problem #1: you are inconsistent with your logging. The only way to have success is tracking everything that you eat and you can't do that without logging.

#2 Looks like you are using the MFP recommended macros, which I'm sorry to say but they are horrible. Especially for someone like you who is working out you should be set for a much higher protein intake. Ease up on the carbs and up your protein. Your fat number looked to be set about right but you are constantly under eating your fats.

#3 You are measuring with cups and tablespoons. Weigh everything because you can end up so far off from what you think you ate if you don’t weigh everything out to the gram on a food scale. A good example of this is my morning oatmeal: a serving is 1/2 cup or 40g. Well when I measure out 1/2 C and weigh it it’s actually 55 grams so right there I'm way over in carbs and calories without even knowing it.

So make these adjustments and I think you will be more successful.

yup
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options

This. I am not sure why people think putting on muscle comes easy. Doing all that cardio would more likely be catabolic.

yup