Walking per day?

Options
Okay, so I'm in my last year of nursing school. We have clinicals 3 days a week, each day for 8 hours. During that 8 hours, I spend plenty of time walking up and down the halls passing medications, working with the patients, charting things and finding my instructor for questions. I am not walking the entire time, I get to sit down on my down time and I also get a lunch. But I want to include that in my daily exercise since I am doing a lot of walking overall...but how should I estimate how much I walk? Or should I just not count it?

Replies

• Moma_Do
    Moma_Do Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Hi, when you set up your goals for MFP it asks you how active you are, like a nurse or whatever other examples they give you. So you don't really have to count it cuz it's already accounted for. it's the exercise you do on purpose that should count.
  • Raychel_xoxo
    Options
    Ohhh, okay. Bummer, haha.
    Thanks!
  • ProTFitness
    ProTFitness Posts: 1,379 Member
    Options
    Yep set it up under how active you are not exercise. Any extra I would add in
  • Raychel_xoxo
    Options
    Yeah I did set it for the setting they suggested for nursing initially.
    It just feels like I am walking so so much I thought it would count for something extra.
  • Amarillo_NDN
    Amarillo_NDN Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    if you are curious just how far you do walk, get a smiple pedometer and place on your shoe. No need to log it since you can set up MFP with your job already, but always good info to know.
  • teresam27
    Options
    Maybe investing in a pedometer to track how much you actually walk might help. Walmart sells one for 5.00, it tracks how many steps you've taken as well as how many miles you've walked. Hope that helps and good luck finishing your nursing course.
  • StaceysPaige
    Options
    Yes, you definetley should get a perdometer so you can track how many calories you are burning on average a day. It will track every step you take and tell you how many more steps you need to take in order to reach your goal for the day. Plus it will give you a chance to see, how active you really are. Hope it goes well, keep on steppin!:wink:
  • Ashley_Panda
    Ashley_Panda Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    I just bought a cheapy pedometer today. Wal-Mart about $5.
  • Raychel_xoxo
    Options
    i think i was just confused because when i filled out my info and picked the selection for nursing, it put me at the lower end of activity, just slightly active. And I'm like OMG my feet are killing me after clinicals, and I am sweating at points throughout the day, runnin around at times. I mean, I feel like that's more than slightly active.
    I'm not really curious at all how many miles or steps I'm doing, if I can't even count it on here anywhere =/