Intermittent Fasting - Has anyone tried it?

Options
Here is an article I read recently:

The Beginner’s Guide to Intermittent Fasting - http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2013/08/06/a-beginners-guide-to-intermittent-fasting/

I was just wondering if anyone has tried this with any success...or if it was awful share that too hehe. :glasses:

Replies

• fitandfortyish
    fitandfortyish Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I read and followed Eat-Stop-Eat religiously for about six months and saw quite a bit of fat loss--but I could never quite make 24 hours---more like 18 hours fasted. Found lunch to lunch to be the easiest fast period.

That being said, i honestly could not sustain the program. Plus my tummy would rumble at the weirdest and most embarrassing times (like meetings at work...:embarassed: ) and it was loud. Soooo loud...
  • Iknowsaur
    Iknowsaur Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    Why?
    Please don't.
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options

The Beginner’s Guide to Intermittent Fasting - http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2013/08/06/a-beginners-guide-to-intermittent-fasting/

I was just wondering if anyone has tried this with any success...or if it was awful share that too hehe. :glasses:

I eat in a 8 -9 hour window (which is a type of IF). Not through design but through chance.

Also I love nerd fitness!!

There are plenty of different ways to do IF diets - take a look at Lean Gains (lots of great info on that).

Also the health benefits to Fasting are worth the sacrifice you will probably experience at first (once you're in the swing of things though eating in an 8 hour window - or whatever other IF you chose will become easy).
  • tennisdude2004
    Options
    Why?
    Please don't.

:noway:
  • vslnrunner
    vslnrunner Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I have in the past and then it became a problem. I fasted too much and ate too little.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options

I eat in a 8 -9 hour window (which is a type of IF). Not through design but through chance.

There are plenty of different ways to do IF diets - take a look at Lean Gains (lots of great info on that).

Also the health benefits to Fasting are worth the sacrifice you will probably experience at first (once you're in the swing of things though eating in an 8 hour window - or whatever other IF you chose will become easy).

I don't know ANYTHING about IF, but I guess I do eat in a 10-12 hour window almost every day. I was alerted to this being similar to IF in a different thread. I typically do not eat from 6-7 pm until 7 am. Is it only considered IF when your window is shorter?
  • SKME2013
    SKME2013 Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    I have done this quite successfully. This is what I wrote in another thread, which might be helpful:

First you calculate your BMR and TDEE:
    http://thefastdiet.co.uk/how-many-calories-on-a-non-fast-day/

Here is the link to the 5:2 fast forum which is great in supplying you with answers.

http://thefastdiet.co.uk

In effect you are eating five days a week somewhere between your BMR and your TDEE and on two non consecutive days, I.e. Monday and Wednesday, you are only consuming 500 cal (women) and 600 cal (men). This will create a deficit of 3500 cal per week which is the equivalent of losing 1 pound in weight.

Now there is also 4:3 (same as above but three days fasting) and ADF (alternate day fasting), with the latter allowing you to not only consume what you want but also as much as you like. (ADF only)

All of the above can be combined with 16:8 (you eat ALL of your food within a time frame of 8 hours and you give your body a rest for 16); 20:4 or 22:2, the last ones allow you to eat within either four or two hours.

Now, I have done a combination of all the above and I have lost 8 kg in 12 weeks, which is in my particular case outstanding as I did not have to lose much. The more you have to lose the faster it goes.

I am now close to maintenance and so far am very happy with this way of losing weight.

And yes, you can work out on those days but you are NOT allowed to eat the calories back. You need to stick to your 500/600 cal and stay under your TDEE on non fast days.

Best of luck
    Stef.
  • MizMiami305
    MizMiami305 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Did it for a week, I gained about 1lb hated that so I stopped! But everyone is different! Gotta try it
  • tennisdude2004
    Options

I don't know ANYTHING about IF, but I guess I do eat in a 10-12 hour window almost every day. I was alerted to this being similar to IF in a different thread. I typically do not eat from 6-7 pm until 7 am. Is it only considered IF when your window is shorter?

If your not single digits - your not in the club (only joking)!!!

Simple answer is not sure. I think a proper eating window for IF is between 4 - 7 hours so I am probably just outside myself on most days.

If you don't have your first food until noon you might be able to join. :smile:

Maybe you can sneak in through the back with me.
  • Ainar
    Ainar Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    I am doing it. Fasting for around 20 hours for long time now. Haven't noticed any faster fat loss than if I would just be in generic calorie deficit. Personally I think it's nonsense. But my energy levels have increased and my workouts are better when I'm fasted. So that's the reason why I stuck to it. Also there are speculations that it helps you live longer, decreases risk of cancer and other good stuff for your health. Plus it's extremely convenient for me. But about weight loss, like I said, pretty sure it's nonsense.
  • MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    Options
    I do LeanGains
    16/8
    Have been since Aug. 6th, 2013
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    There are lots of variations of IF. And a number of groups here on MFP.

Which version were you most interested in?
  • MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    Options
    Did it for a week, I gained about 1lb hated that so I stopped! But everyone is different! Gotta try it

:tongue: :tongue: :tongue: :laugh: :laugh:
  • tnkitty
    tnkitty Posts: 78 Member
    Options

I'm not sure yet. I'm still trying to figure out what will work best for me. If I usually exercise in the evening should I be fasting during that time?
  • tennisdude2004
    Options

I'm not sure yet. I'm still trying to figure out what will work best for me. If I usually exercise in the evening should I be fasting during that time?

I wouldn't just look at IF for weight loss - it will help but many through the calorie deficit angle.

The benefits with IF is all the health benefits you get with it.
  • DeadliftAddict
    DeadliftAddict Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    Almost everyday since around September. I love it. It makes things so simple for me. I also enjoy eating 2-4 large meals instead of 5-7 small meals.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    Almost everyday since around September. I love it. It makes things so simple for me. I also enjoy eating 2-4 large meals instead of 5-7 small meals.

I am not really interested in IF but gotta agree. I usually do small breakfast, med-large lunch & dinner. Or large breakfast, tiny lunch, medium dinner. When I have tried the 5-7 tiny meals I am hungry and dissatisfied and feel like I'm just totally "off".
  • tnkitty
    tnkitty Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    For those of you doing IF what chunk of the day do you usually fast? Btw, thanks for all the reponses, this is VERY helpful!
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    I started the 5:2 protocol in August 2012 and found it really easy to adhere to while losing weight.
    Been maintaining for six months and intend carrying on this way of eating indefinitely.

Worthwhile researching the various forms of IF and deciding which (if any) fit in with your lifestyle. IMO if you have to change your lifestyle to fit a particular diet or way of eating it's less likely to be sustainable.
  • tennisdude2004
    Options

I am not really interested in IF but gotta agree. I usually do small breakfast, med-large lunch & dinner. Or large breakfast, tiny lunch, medium dinner. When I have tried the 5-7 tiny meals I am hungry and dissatisfied and feel like I'm just totally "off".

5- 7 meals - only hobbits are supposed to eat that often.