Ladies how did you Start Heavy lifting?

Options
Kita328
Kita328 Posts: 370 Member
I am having trouble deciding how to get into heavy lifting. I know that I want to but I am a beginner. I know everyone has to start somewhere but I am lost. I started a class called body pump which does a cardio lifting routine- not exactly what I am looking for but it does have the movements of squats deadlifts and bicep curls and I figured I have someone there to help me learn the form of those basic movements. Now I don't know where to go from there.

Everyone was once a beginner but I feel a little lost because I don't know any girls who are interested in lifting- or have done it in the past. When I started running I could reach out to friends who were runners and it was very helpful. I am just wondering how to do this on my own...

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated

Replies

• Kita328
    Kita328 Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    wrong place
  • amethyst70
    Options
    Following.....

I started a regular total body workout a few weeks ago. I too am interested in more along the strong lifts. Somewhere there is a group for strong lifts I just read yesterday which was real informative with a breakdown of the actual way to start.
  • ks4e
    ks4e Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    I just jumped into Stronglift 5x5 and asked my husband to help me with form. We have an Olympic barbell set in our basement so I had everything I needed on hand.
  • becs3578
    becs3578 Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    Crossfit. Had never done any real lifting before that! LOVE IT.
  • wolfsbayne
    wolfsbayne Posts: 3,116 Member
    Options
    I researched Stronglifts, watched tons of videos online and jumped into it. I still reference videos.
  • rides4sanity
    rides4sanity Posts: 1,269 Member
    Options
    Get a trainer, get a book & devlop a schedule.

If you can afford it, I'd say do 1-2 sessions with a trainer to get your form and set a starting weights that are challenging, but not too much. Some gyms will even give you a free introductory session. Form, form & more form first then you can build the weights. That along with a book such as New Rules of Lifting for Women or a Strong Lifts 5x5 type thing you can be on your way. Good Luck.

Body Pump is okay for seeing the moves, but the classes are often large and there is noone to make sure you are doing the lift properly. I do think it is fun, but not what you need..
  • Mary407
    Mary407 Posts: 635 Member
    Options
    I don't know if it's within your budget, but you may want to consider working with a trainer. I have been so inspired by the success of a colleague who got into heavy lifting via working with a trainer that I've started doing the same. She dropped three dress sizes (10 to a 4) while only losing about 8 pounds - meaning that she totally changed her body composition, adding muscle mass and dropping fat. She looks and feels amazing. After only a few weeks working with my trainer, I am already seeing great results and feeling good. He has me doing things I've never done before and I am really sore after lifting heavier weights than I've done before. But, and this is the great thing about working with an expert, my muscles are sore but not my joints. As the previous poster mentioned, form is so important and a trainer can teach you the right way to lift heavy weights without hurting yourself.

Certainly, working with a trainer is expensive, but if I can fit back into the entire work wardrobe I own but haven't been able to wear since our second child was born, then I will more than save all that money. I'd much rather spend $50 on an hour lifting with a trainer than on another pair of size 16 pants!

There are some other good MFP threads on this topic out there on the topic of heavy lifting for women - worth doing a bit of searching.

Just my two cents. Best of luck to you!
  • knightlygator
    Options
    I am thinking of picking up that New Rules for Lifting for Women that I keep reading about.
  • SassyCalyGirl
    SassyCalyGirl Posts: 1,932 Member
    Options
    I would buy 1 session from a personal trainer at your gym, tell them what you want and want to do, ask for specific exercises to achieve those goals, and your on your way.

They should help you with form and where to start with weights.

good luck to you
  • 33Freya
    33Freya Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    Books like "New Rules of Lifting for Women" are good (I still want to read that book), but you can also go to Bodybuilding.com and look for a beginner program there. The programs and the app are free- and the app will list your exercises, instructions and video included.

Good luck!
  • mikejholmes
    mikejholmes Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    I'm a guy, but I'll chime in here anyway -- "Starting Strength" by Mark Rippetoe would be my recommendation. StrongLifts is a very similar routine, but I found him to be very light on proper technique -- or at least, i did once I discovered Starting Strength.
  • caseythirteen
    caseythirteen Posts: 956 Member
    Options
    I read, read and read some more. Then I set up an appt at the gym just to have a reason to go over to the weight room. She showed me the machines but I quickly knew it wasn't for me. I read a ton on these forums and websites and started to develop my own program. I read NROLFW but the program wasn't for me - still good info though. Then I just went in there and started doing! It was a slow process in that I started with just DB moves because it was more comfortable but once I hit the barbell it was all a go from there. Typically the best place to start though is a tried and true beginner routine. There is a lot of information out there on form that can help too. Just make sure you go in to the weight room with a plan - for the day and coming days - and you'll do just fine.
  • runnerjenn0708
    runnerjenn0708 Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    been doing this for years -- nothing really came together until I got a trainer ----
  • rlw911
    rlw911 Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    I researched the three programs I see most recommended on MFP - New Rules of Lifting for Women (book), Starting Strength (book) and StrongLifts 5x5. I ended up choosing StrongLifts, because of it's simplicity. I did 3 sessions with a trainer, who luckily knows her stuff, in order to learn the form for the lifts. Since then, I've continued on my own, watching lots of videos and reading as much as I can.

Even if you don't choose NROL4W or Starting Strength, both of those books have lots of good information and can answer a lot of questions. SS is my "go-to" book for form questions. There are groups here on MFP for both NROL4W and StrongLIfts. You might check them out for more information, also.

Good luck!
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    I was doing only cardio and yes the weight was coming off but I was still flabby. I had done the Body For Life Program years ago and saw great results as it heavily focuses on weight training so I decided I was going to start weight training again since I have all the equipment I need at home (I hate gyms). I did a lot of research online and figured out my game plan so now I primarily focus on heavy compound lifts and have seen better results than when I was doing isolated lifts years back.

Good luck!
  • SugaryLynx
    SugaryLynx Posts: 2,640 Member
    Options
    Chance. After I had my second kid last year, I wanted to lose weight. My brother in law had a bench press and weights he couldn't take with him and it ended up in my garage. I started lifting, researching and now I'm in love. The shoe fit, felt like a Cinderella story. :P
  • breezyleaf
    breezyleaf Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    BODYBUILDING.COM offers some great tips and workout routines. Of course, it is always great to get a trainer to learn the ropes, but that costs DOLLA DOLLA BILL. Good LUCK!!! I do Body Pump too, and I feel like I want to start lifting heavier, I thought I would wait till I am down a bit more :D

TTFN :smile: :smile: :smile:
  • MrsB123111
    MrsB123111 Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    been doing this for years -- nothing really came together until I got a trainer ----

This... Worked for 2 years with NO results. Got a trainer 2.5 months ago and am making amazing progress.
    The Les Mills Body Pump class is also a great option for a total body workout with weights!
  • yo_andi
    yo_andi Posts: 2,178 Member
    Options
    I started with New Rules of Lifting For Women (commonly referred to as NROLFW around here) last year. Got injured and had to take about six months off (injury not lifting related at all... more stupidity related).

Anyway, NROLFW was a good primer. Excellent information to start but the programming was kind of involved. When I started lifting again a month ago, I started Stronglifts 5x5.

http://stronglifts.com/

I downloaded the app to track my workouts, I read all of the sidebar info and I started with just the empty bar in the gym. Every once in a while I lift with my roommate who helps me check my form, but usually I lift by myself. If I need a spot or need someone to tape me I ask someone in the gym. I religiously check videos on form and read up about properly performing each lift. And I'm loving every second of it.
  • willdob3
    willdob3 Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    I started lifting quite a while back. I joined a gym & hired a trainer for a few (I think it was a package deal of 6) training sessions to learn how to lift with proper form.

Then I did Body for Life program. There are better beginner plans these days but BFL was all the rage back then.