Getting serious at the gym

Options
AndyN87
AndyN87 Posts: 32 Member
I'd like some suggestions on making the most of my time spent at the gym, especially when it comes to weight training. I'd like to be able to gain both strength and stamina. Currently I walk on the treadmill about an hour and spend the next hour hitting some of the machines. I've been trying out new ones here and there over time.

How do I figure out how much to lift and how many times to get the most impact? For now I've been going with whatever I can knock out that leaves me nearly at exhaustion doing 10 reps with 3 sets. What's a good number of reps/sets to be trying to do? I just started with the 10/3 thing randomly.

How should I knock out the reps? As quickly as possible without getting sloppy or a bit of a slower, more deliberate pace?

Something I would like to train specifically for is being able to actually used the elliptical / stair stepper more. On the elliptical I can last barely over a minute and the stair stepper says I get up about 5 flights of stairs before I'm dead. Walking I can last for forever it almost seems. Is there something I can do to work on this or just keep using those two machines when I go to the gym until I'm exhausted, then just try again the next day and hope I can build up some stamina using them?

I go to the gym on my nights off. So I tend to go Sunday, Monday, and Wednesday nights but I always use the same routine of walking an hour and then hitting the machines, even if I'm sore. Am I doing more harm than good?

Thanks for any input :-D

Replies

• Iknowsaur
    Iknowsaur Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    I would suggest meeting with a QUALIFIED personal trainer for a few sessions to get yourself started, learn proper techniques, create a "schedule" of sorts for what you'll be working out on what days when you go to the gym, the weights you're comfortable with, how many reps you'll be doing, and a plan on how you want to increase reps/weights.

It's hard to do that alone, and I don't know you well enough to help you (nor am I qualified, I'm like, a little girl :P)

Edit - Work out different parts of your body on different days, and allow rest in between. Once a week, throw in a "doubletime" day where you do EVERYTHING! It'll shock you, but in a good way.
  • mikejholmes
    mikejholmes Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    As I just wrote to someone else -- "Starting Strength" by Mark Rippetoe gives is a great routine, and gives tremendous detail on correct form. Some points: while you're building strength, it's a bit counter-productive to work on stamina at the same time. His recommendation would be to get strong (takes only 6 months or a year), and then the stamina will come along much more easily. And barbell training in the big lifts is far superior to machines.

My $0.02.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    As I just wrote to someone else -- "Starting Strength" by Mark Rippetoe gives is a great routine, and gives tremendous detail on correct form. Some points: while you're building strength, it's a bit counter-productive to work on stamina at the same time. His recommendation would be to get strong (takes only 6 months or a year), and then the stamina will come along much more easily. And barbell training in the big lifts is far superior to machines.

My $0.02.

agreed. strong lifts 5x5 is good too. similar programming
  • arabianhorselover
    arabianhorselover Posts: 1,488 Member
    Options
    I also do Stronglifts.
  • No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,662 Member
    Options
    if your looking to maximize your time in the gym, i'd say you have two options

compound lifts because the movements are more efficient in that they hit several muslces in the same lift and usually train them pretty intensely in less time (higher weight)

circuit train - it would be ok to use machines here IMO because your really just looking to cram as much work into as little time as possible. this would be more for weight loss then strength gain
  • Redheadllena
    Redheadllena Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    Most bang for your buck? Free weights and compound exercises. They hit multiple muscle groups and thus work out your body more than isolation exercises do (i.e. machines(not that machines are all bad)) and you get more of a workout in less time (not that you should rush). Free weights (dumbbells, barbells, kettlebells etc.) are also going to show you more results because YOU have to balance the weight through the whole exercise, unlike a machine, that does the balancing and support for you.

I agree with the other posters- perhaps have a trainer start you out and show you how to do some compound exercises and give you some routine ideas if you're feeling a little lost or are unfamiliar with starting out on them on your own.

Hope it helps!
  • sloth3toes
    sloth3toes Posts: 2,212 Member
    Options

Something I would like to train specifically for is being able to actually used the elliptical / stair stepper more. On the elliptical I can last barely over a minute and the stair stepper says I get up about 5 flights of stairs before I'm dead. Walking I can last for forever it almost seems. Is there something I can do to work on this or just keep using those two machines when I go to the gym until I'm exhausted, then just try again the next day and hope I can build up some stamina using them?

I'll leave the weight training questions to those who are more qualified to answer.... About the cardio question..... it sounds like your issue is just that you are starting out, and haven't been doing any cardio previously. So, your lungs are just out of shape. I think to improve your capacity for cardio, you just have to keep doing cardio. Just try to push yourself... a little more, every few days or each week, bump up the time, 30 seconds, or the intensity, 1 notch. If you're walking on a treadmill, you can add very small increments to that, can't you? I started with about 10 mins at like level -0 on the stairclimber, and I can do 30 mins at varied but fairly intense levels, now. And, I'm a fat sloth. :blushing:

I'd just be careful about burning yourself out with cardio, right before lifting. I prefer to separate them, at least at different times during the day, if possible.
  • navyrigger46
    navyrigger46 Posts: 1,301 Member
    Options

My $0.02.

Agreed on all points. Also recommend doing your strength training before if you're doing both on the same day.

Rigger
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options

My $0.02.

Agreed on all points. Also recommend doing your strength training before if you're doing both on the same day.

Rigger

Yes,

Yes,

and Yes.

And Yes, to getting a trainer, if desired/needed.
  • AndyN87
    AndyN87 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I'll leave the weight training questions to those who are more qualified to answer.... About the cardio question..... it sounds like your issue is just that you are starting out, and haven't been doing any cardio previously. So, your lungs are just out of shape. I think to improve your capacity for cardio, you just have to keep doing cardio. Just try to push yourself... a little more, every few days or each week, bump up the time, 30 seconds, or the intensity, 1 notch. If you're walking on a treadmill, you can add very small increments to that, can't you? I started with about 10 mins at like level -0 on the stairclimber, and I can do 30 mins at varied but fairly intense levels, now. And, I'm a fat sloth. :blushing:

I'd just be careful about burning yourself out with cardio, right before lifting. I prefer to separate them, at least at different times during the day, if possible.

Oh I should have clarified on the cardio part. It's definitely not my lungs out of shape. It's my *googling now* quadriceps just can't handle it. I'm not panting for breath or anything, they just start burning and hurting so badly I can't continue. Nothing in my life requires walking up steps or anything like that. They just seems to be extremely poorly worked muscles.

I work thirds so the trainer thing has been more of an issue, since I'm pretty much by myself at 1AM in the morning at the gym. I think the gym provides a consultation with one... I may just need to try and keep myself up and awake during staffed hours.
  • MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    Options
    StrongLifts 5x5 is a pretty good routine for starting out.
  • sloth3toes
    sloth3toes Posts: 2,212 Member
    Options

Oh I should have clarified on the cardio part. It's definitely not my lungs out of shape. It's my *googling now* quadriceps just can't handle it. I'm not panting for breath or anything, they just start burning and hurting so badly I can't continue. Nothing in my life requires walking up steps or anything like that. They just seems to be extremely poorly worked muscles.

I work thirds so the trainer thing has been more of an issue, since I'm pretty much by myself at 1AM in the morning at the gym. I think the gym provides a consultation with one... I may just need to try and keep myself up and awake during staffed hours.

I'll be damned... I just 'assumed' it was a wind issue. You can certainly work your quads in the gym.... and, the cardio that's doing them in... if you try the same thing, just ramp it up, just a touch at a time... you should be able to make progress.
  • maryann9wood
    maryann9wood Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I started the elliptical at 2 minutes. Next day 4, then 6 etc. I can now do a 5K on it in 40 minutes. Same with the stairstepper. Just add a little each day. Also if your gym owns different elliptical machines. try them to see which works for your knees and hips the best. Good luck!
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options

My $0.02.

^^^ seconded!
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options

all the more reasons to do a programme like Starting Strength or Stronglifts.... these programmes will greatly increase the amount of exercise that your quadriceps can handle.