"Bump" of muscle at lower back above buttocks???

Options
So, I've been doing some new workouts, mainly some ballet that is reaching muscles I forgot I had. And as a result, I'm noticing a weird thing on my lower back. I can't find any pics like it. It's at the small of my back, below my spine, right above my buttocks. It's like a little bump- not of the skin or anything- just a raised muscular area, instead of flat. Large enough in area to cup my hand over. Does anyone have this and know what it is? I've read dimples of Venus, and that's similar, but I don't have the dimples, just the "hill" in the center of my lower back. I'm wondering if this is from working out or if it is something I should have a doctor look it. I do get back pain, but I have a female condition that causes that. So weird.

Replies

• BeckieBrown1984
    Options
    Omg! I have this!!! I been searching everywhere for an explanation! I keep meaning to go to the doctors about it.. I see u posted a few months back, have u any more info on wot it might be?? X
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    It's normal. Good to rest a hand on.
  • ncbeachybum
    ncbeachybum Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I have this, too. I've been told two things. My chiropractor said it's pockets of fat. My physical therapist said it's muscles that are tensed up..she tries to work them out. Sometimes my lower back is sore because of this.
  • BeckieBrown1984
    Options
    Yeah I suffer from lower back pain and sciatica, is there a way yo get rid of it :-/
  • Original_Sinner
    Original_Sinner Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Vestigial tail.
  • foofaraw12
    Options
  • BeckieBrown1984
    Options
    It's not a tail. I kno this because it doesnt wag wen I get excited.
  • mrslynah
    mrslynah Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Lol! I forgot all about this! Well... I've noticed that it's more pronounced when I'm in my best shape. And I read somewhere that it's like back dimples (ewwww!!!) and that some men have a serious thing for it. Lol! I'll take that! I have stage IV endometriosis, so I have back and hip pain anyway, and it's definitely not related.
  • Definitelykelley
    Definitelykelley Posts: 1 Member
    edited January 2021
    Options
    Sounds like you’re describing a lumbosacral fat pad (or sacral fat pad). It’s way more common in women than in men and caused by a rounding of the spine, sometimes accompanied by a small pad of fat **or fibrous tissue**. Rounding of the spine usually comes from bad posture, but can also be caused by disease or injury.

If yours appeared after starting ballet, you may be overly tucking your tailbone which overly rounds your back. Here is an article how to do the barre tuck in a way that protects the neutral spine position. https://www.openfit.com/how-to-do-barre-tuck

For @BeckieBrown1984, you may have a pelvic tilt or swayback posture. Here is a link to an awesome website with exercises and stretches for postural issues. This particular page is about swayback posture, but it’s all on there. https://posturedirect.com/how-to-fix-sway-back-posture/