10 Days 10 Salads-Any suggestions

Options
2»

Replies

• slywldgirl
    Options
    I make a pasta salad that uses garlic herb fettuccine with fresh basil (julienned), diced roma tomatoes, shredded Parmesan cheese, minced garlic, and a red wine vinegar and olive oil dressing drizzled over and tossed. Sometimes I use balsamic vinegar instead. Mhmm making me hungry now hehehe.
  • TamTastic
    TamTastic Posts: 19,224 Member
    Options
    coleslaw! I take an entire bag of coleslaw mix (cabbage, carrot, red cabbage) and mix a lot less dressing in it than you would think. (one time I only used 1/4 cup) However, a few hours later, that dressing has sunk into the cabbage, and yum!!!

I've been doing that a lot lately! I get the broccoli slaw and mix in the Newmans Own Lighten Up Low Fat Sesame Ginger dressing. SO good!
  • foxfire9372
    foxfire9372 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    whole wheat pasta 1/2 c
    cucumbers
    tomatoes
    cubed low-fat swiss or mozz. cheese
    toss lightly w/fave low cal dressing
    hits everything and is very, very filling

or

whole wheat pasta
    broccoli
    snow peas
    chicken or turkey

I eat this whenever I know I am doing an afternoon workout or going riding and teaching. Holds me over and gives me lots of energy
  • foxfire9372
    foxfire9372 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    whole wheat pasta 1/2 c
    cucumbers
    tomatoes
    cubed low-fat swiss or mozz. cheese
    toss lightly w/fave low cal dressing
    hits everything and is very, very filling

or

whole wheat pasta
    broccoli
    snow peas
    chicken or turkey

I eat this whenever I know I am doing an afternoon workout or going riding and teaching. Holds me over and gives me lots of energy
  • MontanaGirl
    MontanaGirl Posts: 1,251 Member
    Options
    Why does the chicken need to be fried? :tongue: you cut over 75% of the calories if you just grill or bake it instead.
    Spinich salad.
    Fruit salad
    egg white salad for high protine and 1/3rd the fat. Use low fat yogurt instead of Mayo for the extra kick.
    --Diann...

You can pan fry it without adding fat or calories. Just a shot of Pam or your favorite spray to keep it from sticking and add seasonings.
  • Phatmomma
    Phatmomma Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Why does the chicken need to be fried? :tongue: you cut over 75% of the calories if you just grill or bake it instead.
    Spinich salad.
    Fruit salad
    egg white salad for high protine and 1/3rd the fat. Use low fat yogurt instead of Mayo for the extra kick.
    --Diann...

I don't actually fry mine. The chix patties we buy boca or morning star are breaded. I just bake everything. We just call it fried lol.
  • Phatmomma
    Phatmomma Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Oh these sound so GREAT! I knew you all would have some awesome ideas. I'm going to print these and map out my grocery list for the week. I think these will be so work friendly and school friendly-I can pack them in the kid's lunch cases too. I wanted something that would be healthy and easy. I'm in the middle of a liver cleanse (don't ask lol) and you can eat but you need to stick to healthier choices so I thought I'd do filling and nutritional salads and still keep it fun for the kids too. Plus they love trying new things and this works out well, not to much oven time-gotta love that! Thanks All:bigsmile:
  • astridfeline
    astridfeline Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    Wow, no one has mentioned three bean salad! Or four bean. You can google a billion recipe versions of bean salads. Also, you can do a brown rice or quinoa or other grain salad, with fresh chopped vegies and vinaigrette.
  • yoginimary
    yoginimary Posts: 6,786 Member
    Options
    Variations on a theme. This one I eat almost everyday:
    greens, cranberries, feta - throw a few walnuts in if you have available calories

greens, blue cheese, pears, celery, few slices of onion maybe, few slices of fresh beet for color

greens, gorgonzola, tart apple, pecans

The trick is using cheeses that are strong enough that a little goes a long way. I don't like dressing, so basically the cheese takes the place of the dressing - but a vinaigrette would work on any. Just mix greens, fruit, cheese and maybe onion, celery, or beets.
  • lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    Options
    Here's another one. . .sounds weird, tastes good.

One red apple (crisp type)
    two tablespoons raisins
    one avocado
    1 tsp honey (or to taste)

Chop apple and avocado, add raisins and honey, stir and enjoy.

Because I love the sweet/spicy, I add a little sprinkle of cajun seasoning to this.
  • astridfeline
    Options
    Variations on a theme. This one I eat almost everyday:
    greens, cranberries, feta - throw a few walnuts in if you have available calories

greens, blue cheese, pears, celery, few slices of onion maybe, few slices of fresh beet for color

greens, gorgonzola, tart apple, pecans

The trick is using cheeses that are strong enough that a little goes a long way. I don't like dressing, so basically the cheese takes the place of the dressing - but a vinaigrette would work on any. Just mix greens, fruit, cheese and maybe onion, celery, or beets.

these are yummy:love:
  • LonelyPilgrim
    LonelyPilgrim Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    Mine is similar to others:

mixed greens and baby spinach
    Granny smith apple cut up (or firm green pear)
    blue cheese crumbles
    dried fruit of your choice (we use cranberries)
    thinly sliced red onions.

a "light" vinegrette dressing on top
  • astridfeline
    Options
    I recently bought a new cookbook called "the new american plate". I haven't had a chance to make anything from it yet, but it has recipes that use fresh ingredients in new & interesting combinations. Some of the salad recipes:
    Mixed Greens with blueberries & feta
    Broccoli, cherry tomato, and watercress salad
    Two potato salad with spinach and fresh herb dressing
    Three bean salad with cilantro-chile dressing

I'll let you know how they turn out! I'm planning to make Jicama and orange salad with mint this week.
  • lilmandy89
    lilmandy89 Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    :heart: Pomegranate Salad:heart:

Ingredients:
    4-6 granny smith apples, peeled and shredded
    1/2 cup raisins
    1 whole pomegranate, seeded
    1/2 cup chopped pecans or walnuts
    Whipped cream or whipped topping
    Method
    Combine apples, raisins, pomegranate seeds and nuts. Gently fold in whipped cream or whipped topping (the amount of the cream or topping will vary based on the size of apples and pomegranates. used, use enough to make the ingredients stick together).

:heart: Italian Chicken and Spinach Salad:heart:

Ingredients:
    4 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves, about 1 pound
    1/2 tsp dried Italian herbs, crushed
    1/4 tsp salt
    1/4 tsp ground black pepper
    4 Tbsp olive oil, divided
    8 cups baby spinach
    2 hard cooked eggs, coarsely chopped
    4 slices crisp-cooked bacon, coarsely crumbled
    2 Tbsp diced red onion
    2 Tbsp sliced pitted black olives
    2 Tbsp chopped Italian parsley
    2 Tbsp snipped basil
    2 plum (Roma) tomatoes, chopped
    2 Tbsp lemon juice
    1 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
    1 Tbsp capers
    1 clove garlic, crushed
    For garnish - finely shredded parmesan cheese
    Method
    Rub the chicken with a combination of the dried Italian herbs, salt and pepper. Heat 1 Tbsp of the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the chicken and brown on both sides. Lower the heat, cover and cook the chicken 8-10 minutes or till it tests done. Cut into julienne strips and place in a large salad bowl along with the next 8 ingredients. To the skillet add the rest of the oil, the lemon juice, balsamic vinegar, capers and garlic. Bring to a boil then toss with the salad mixture to evenly coat. Serve immediately, sprinkled with cheese.