Walking Daily - Bad?

Options
So I'm pretty new at this. I'm a pretty sedentary person and I want to incorporate more exercise into my life.
I LOVE walking, especially if it's outside. So for the past week or so, I've been doing it daily. I've been alternating between 1 and 2 miles, with some small (for now) amounts of jogging.
Some days, I go to my apartment complex's workout center and use some of their equipment as well, but I'm really out of shape and the walking is kicking my butt as it is.

But I keep reading about 'rest days', and I haven't really taken any. Part of my problem with weight loss is consistency, and I'm worried that if I stop for a day, eventually, I'll stop for a month or two and be right back where I started (I've done this before). It's easier for me to keep going if its a daily habit, but I also don't want to do anything harmful.
Any thoughts?

Replies

• sentaruu
    sentaruu Posts: 2,206 Member
    Options
    walking and other low impact cardio can be done every day, high impact cardio and strength training usually require rest days.

IMO you should walk every day.
  • Eric_DeCastro
    Eric_DeCastro Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    I walk and run and take at least 2 rest days. but this weekend I'm going to walk 4 miles each day, since I run so much, it will still be a rest day if I just walk.
  • PatheticNoetic
    PatheticNoetic Posts: 905 Member
    Options
    I've been walking for 2 months. Only one or two days off. It'll be fine.
  • 4hotmama
    4hotmama Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Walking is not hard core like running, I wouldn't worry to much about a rest day unless you starting upping your mileage with running. The best advice I have for you is listen to your body, it will tell you when you need to rest, i.e. sore, tight muscles.
    Good luck on your journey, stick with it the prize in the end is well worth the effort:)
  • star_bblake
    Options
    I think it depends on you. If you WANT to walk every day then do so. If you hurt, sore, tired or sick, then perhaps you take a day off. You don't want to take the pleasure out of the movement.

As you say, consistency is key and you are building a very good lifestyle habit.
  • beesareyellow
    beesareyellow Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    Well, in my case, I lift heavy three days a week and my rest days consist of walking about outside or on a treadmill. So, I think walking every day should be fine. Now if you eventually take up running seriously, then you will require the occasional rest day. For now, keep on doing what you're doing, I lost an awful lot of weight when I started this journey by JUST walking every day. Good luck, and don't give up !
  • hbmayes
    hbmayes Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    walking and other low impact cardio can be done every day, high impact cardio and strength training usually require rest days.

Agreed! Walking is one of the very best things you can do for your self, both for your physical health and happiness (Mayo Clinic, for example, has a bunch of webpages about this, and encourages daily walking). You will likely want to add additional, higher-intensity exercise later after you get a good fit baseline and happiness. The nice thing about walking and other low-intensity excercises is that it doesn't boost my hunger level like a high-intensity workout does.
  • beertrollruss
    beertrollruss Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    When it comes to exercise, I always say a little bit is better than nothing. If you're doing something you enjoy, you're more likely to stick with it. Walking is a great form of exercise. If you keep doing it, you'll see improvement. I've never heard of the need to take a day off from walking so go ahead and do it every day. Rest days are good for resistance training or running training. You may want to choose different routes to mix things up once in a while.

Keep doing what you're doing and gently pushing yourself. If you stay on here, work on eating good foods and continue the daily walks, you'll get healthier and add years to your life.
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    Rest days are to allow your body to recover and repair it's self.

If you're exercising for calorie burning, that's not much of an issue.

For strength training they are very important - the muscle 'grows' when the body repairs it on rest days - you are actually damaging it when lifting weights.
    As you get towards low intensity cardio, it's less and less important.

Prior to today I did around an average of 6 miles a day running for 11 days, as well as 6 strength routines on alternate days. My legs certainly suffered a bit in the weights because they never had a chance to recover, but the cardio was generally fine. The final day was actually a race (only because the social run I was expecting wasn't on) and I didn't do great in that.

But as far as cardio work and calorie burn / general living I was fine.
    I wouldn't worry at all about walking unless you find yourself hurting particularly - if you haven't done much walking and do a long walk I might expect a bit of soreness the day after, but that wouldn't stop me doing a bit more the next day.
  • sloth3toes
    sloth3toes Posts: 2,212 Member
    Options
    As everyone is saying... walking every day should be just fine. I know exactly what you mean, about consistency. About 10 years ago, I was in the best shape of my life.... having dropped a bunch of weight, eating well, and working out, consistently. A small vacation, without working out.... and, I never stepped foot in a gym for 10 years after that. And of course, gained a cr@pload of weight.

Many of us, attack this whole 'lifestyle change' thing, like it's all or nothing.... and that can be our defeat. Once I started getting exercise again... I was on the treadmill every day, and either in the pool ( love your nick, by the way.... ) or in the gym. My work schedule changed, and life is getting in the way.... and I still try to do the treadmill every day, and get to the gym 3X a week.... and on the odd day, that isn't a gym day, that I DO have time, I go to the pool.

What I am trying to make different about this time... ( and the point of this story for you.... ) is, I am TRYING not to get so wrapped up in a missed day, that it triggers the end. Since I know all too well, what CAN happen... I have to tell myself... some days I actually have to PLAN for rest days, not because I want 'em.... but because getting to the gym just doesn't fit with that day, or the next, or maybe even the next. It's the best I can do for now.... and as long as I know that I'm getting there all I can... and making the most of the time I do have... so far, it's all good.

So, while there's no harm in walking every day.... there's also no harm in taking a day off. Illness or injury is your worst nightmare, when you need the consistency to stick with it. So, should something happen that causes you to take one or more days off... you need to keep telling yourself, that you DO walk everyday.... you're just taking a break. I guess it's a mindset.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    Walking is great every day. Rest days are mainly for weight lifting or people who are doing excessive amounts of cardio.
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    Nothing wrong with walking. I walk between 1.5-3 miles every day on top of my workouts, because I have a dog and she needs her walks. The weather has to be terrible for her to take a rest day.
  • each_day_stronger
    each_day_stronger Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Welcome! Yes, walking everyday is totally fine--in fact better than fine, it's a great idea. Jogging you might want to rest from on occasion but ultimately I say just listen to your body. You might have a day when you feel tired or sick and then definitely feel free to rest, but as a general rule I try to walk as much as I feel up to it.
    If/When you start doing more intensive cardio or start lifting weights then you might want to consider resting more or alternating work outs.
    Good luck!
  • Morgaath
    Morgaath Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    Medical groups pretty much suggest getting in at least 30 min of moderate exercise each day.
    Walking done at around 3mph or higher, counts as moderate exercise. Going slower on rougher ground also counts as moderate exercise. Say going 2.5mph uphill.
    Doctors are always telling folks they need to lose some weight, get more exercise, try walking...maybe play golf without a cart....go window shopping...walk to the local store....

Sitting at my desk I burn about 1.3cals/min.
    If I get up to walk over and get coffee I'll burn about 3.8cals/min. --- Almost 300% more than sitting.
    If I actually go for a walk outside, put a little speed into it, I burn about 7.5cals/min. --- A tad over 575% more than sitting, and almost 200% more than a casual in the office stroll.
    Running at 6.2mph is about 13cals/min. --- Just fast enough to get 5k covered in 30min.
  • Cathalain
    Cathalain Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    I walk every single day, and it's not "small" amounts, either - I usually average 5 miles a day or so (a little less on weekends, but it's never less than 2 miles).

If you don't hurt or feel any pain, it's a GREAT idea, as far as I'm concerned. I'm still very far away from my goal (86 pounds to go still), but I'm convinced that my daily walks have gone a LONG way toward what progress I've made. Like you, I really enjoy my walks and get kind of antsy if I don't do it.

Go for it!
  • Napier_mum
    Napier_mum Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I walk every day as well. Makes me feel better and fabulous for my kids as well. We do at least 8kms a day (although sometimes it is mighty slow with lots of stopping to look at interesting things) but I can't think of a better way to exercise while making you feel good as well. I am soooo grumpy if we have to miss a day or have a shorter than usual walk.

If you don't get pain then I figure it is all good!
  • honeysprinkles
    honeysprinkles Posts: 1,757 Member
    Options

I agree with this, too. I consider taking walks a part of just keeping active and not necessarily in the same way as other forms of exercise when it comes to rest days and all that. Not to say that it's not exercise, it's great for you and will help out your weight loss, but I see no harm in walking every day, especially if you're otherwise sedentary (like me).
  • MinimalistShoeAddict
    MinimalistShoeAddict Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options

I agree with this.
  • toiletski
    toiletski Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I walk on my rest day:wink:
  • mirand1974
    mirand1974 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I've been walking for almost two years now and I am up to 10-12 miles every day without rest days. It's a great way for me to relax and reduce stress and I've lost about 60 lbs in those two years. I see nothing wrong with walking every day.