Healthy Chinese Takeaway Options

Options
I'm having Chinese takeaway next weekend and already deciding what I probably should eat. I want low fat and high protein.

I usually have Beef in Black Bean Sauce with Boiled Rice - from what I've heard, that's a fairly 'healthy' option but I'm sure I could do better.

I'm not going to have any boiled rice this time.

I was thinking perhaps Chicken in Mixed Vegetables, but I wasn't sure what sauce (if any) it would come in and if it would be healthy or not.
I have also heard a lot about Chicken Chop Suey and Chicken Chow Mein - are these healthy dishes since chicken is such a lean meat?
How about egg foo yung with chicken?

Would prawn dishes be healthier than chicken dishes?
Should I get a side of seasonal vegetables with my meal?
What do you get when you order from the Chinese?

Thank you!

Replies

• deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    Steamed veggies and plain rice, not fried rice.

Once a week I have shrimp broccoli with white rice and an egg roll. It does have sauce on it and I have no idea really how many calories in it, I log more than there probably actually are in it. Hasn't bothered my weight loss.

However...... high sodium can cause water retention so stay off the scale a couple days after you eat it.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    If it's a steamed dish - ALL of it steamed - and if it has no sauce - then you're probably safe.

Everything else will be loaded in oil.
  • fificrazy
    fificrazy Posts: 234
    Options
    If you're already planning your meal 2 weeks in advance, I take it you don't have Chinese often? I say if it's such a rare treat, just enjoy yourself! You could halve the meal BEFORE you begin eating (I 've never had Chinese that wasn't double or triple the amount I'd normally have) and putting the remainder out of sight, but otherwise you should just get whatever you're truly craving, otherwise you'll probably overdo it on whatever you DO allow yourself to have to get the same satisfaction...
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    'Healthy' depends on your needs.
    Most foods can be worked in to a 'healthy' lifestyle.

Me, I'd make sure I did some appropriate exercise, then enjoy the dishes I liked.
    Or, just accept it. I was about 1000 calories over the other day - but having pizza with a friend I hadn't seen for a while, I don't mind that. I KNOW I have to be careful not to let it become EVERY day. But once a month knocking even say a pound of fat lost out of the equation I'm not too bothered by - so I only half a pound that week say, rather than a pound and a half. Not the end of the world. (And that'd be being over a total of 1750 calories.)

Generally a chop suey seems to less greasy - based on bean sprouts rather than noodles.
    But it will also depend on where you're getting it from - I know different ones locally have noticably different amounts of grease.
    Generally cheaper seems to mean greasier - though it may be the better ones just disguise it better.
  • comittobethin
    comittobethin Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I usually get chicken and broccoli with light sauce and white rice. I figure its about 700 calories for the plate and I half it. I get two delicious meals out of it and stay within my limits.
  • takumaku
    takumaku Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    Egg foo yung (egg omelet) without the sauce is a very healthy dish.
  • jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options
    Skipping rice and ordering noodles instead doesn't help achieve the stated objective.

Probably overthinking this. Order what you like and eat an appropriate amount.
  • Mygsds
    Mygsds Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
    We love beef with broccoli.. Steamed veggies are always a good choice. Spring rolls are good because they are a little smaller than a egg roll. Enjoy....
  • debrakgoogins
    debrakgoogins Posts: 2,033 Member
    Options
    My favorite local Chinese restaurant offers steamed chicken and vegetables with no added sauce or sodium and steamed brown rice. It is fantastic and enough for two meals. This link may help you out too...

http://eatthis.menshealth.com/slideshow/9-ways-eat-healthily-chinese-restaurant
  • smand2000
    smand2000 Posts: 88
    Options
    Steamed (insert protein) and mixed vegetables. (choose sauce) on the side. White / brown rice (comes in separate container). Use a 1/4 cup rice with meal. Tablespoon or two or sauce on food. Or, dip each bite lightly in sauce as you go.

Healthy Chinese meal.

Bonus: ask for no msg.

Enjoy!
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    Egg foo yung (egg omelet) without the sauce is a very healthy dish.
    It doesn't meat the stated low fat.
    ANYTHING can be 'healthy'.
  • animalldy
    animalldy Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    My local Chinese place has teriyaki chicken skewers, I usually get those and steamed veggies with sauce on the side. No rice.
  • LassVegas
    LassVegas Posts: 35
    Options
    Steamed chicken and broccoli is a good choice (for anyone, not just a dieter). And if you need to add a little flavor and don't have a sodium issue, you can throw some soy sauce on there or a tiny bit of the hot mustard.

And the Chinese restaurants I've been to over the last few years offer brown rice, which is a far healthier option than white.
  • PandaCustard
    PandaCustard Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I love moo goo gai pan and steamed seafood with vegetables. You can always request that they use less oil or, for some dishes, no oil at all when making your food. Most Chinese restaurants I've been to have been extremely accommodating.
  • sixfeettall
    sixfeettall Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Thank you!

Unfortunately the Chinese takeaways round here (UK) don't seem to do steamed anything which sucks! I presume it's all stir-fried in oil.
  • lizzyclatworthy
    lizzyclatworthy Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    I struggle with Chinese and have since I developed Diabetes Insipidues (salt related condition which they called diabetes to make life a pain in the *kitten*) but my go to dish is chicken skewers in satay sauce and boiled rice (I love love love chow mein and pancake rolls so if I am happy to spend the next day in agony I do those AS WELL)

I am far happier getting indian and having a tandoori mixed grill (last nights takeaway is going to last 3 days).
  • caveninit
    caveninit Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Most Chinese food places have a "healthier options" section on the menu. I usually get steamed shrimp or chicken with chinese vegetables and brown sauce on the side. The place I go to makes the brown sauce lower sodium for me.
  • lizzyclatworthy
    lizzyclatworthy Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    Most Chinese food places have a "healthier options" section on the menu. I usually get steamed shrimp or chicken with chinese vegetables and brown sauce on the side. The place I go to makes the brown sauce lower sodium for me.

Is that an American thing?
    I have never seen a healthy option in the UK. I shall add this to the list of reasons I am moving!
  • LassVegas
    LassVegas Posts: 35
    Options
    I am far happier getting indian and having a tandoori mixed grill (last nights takeaway is going to last 3 days).

Major thumbs up to the tandoori mixed grill. Salmon and white meat chicken tandoori are also excellent choices. And they are great for both low carb eaters and low calorie eaters (so long as you leave some for another meal). It definitely sounds like there is a big difference between the UK Chinese places and those in the U.S. You can eat quite healthfully in the U.S. at a Chinese restaurant.
  • Arranna1212
    Arranna1212 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I've heard that Beef and Broccoli is almost always the best choice when eating chinese food. My home towns chinese restaurant made sweet and sour chicken with cherry sauce on the side instead of already on the chicken and they loaded it with tons of pineapple, carrots, and peppers on the side. I miss it ;_;