Anyone doing Atkins?

Options

Replies

• owenmhartley
    owenmhartley Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    Hi guys,
    I recommend that sticking to a healthy diet and following a healthy lifestyle will reap greater rewards than completely cutting a macronutrient from your diet, the reason the weight loss is so great with atkins is from cutting carbs which hold a lot of the body's water, remember that our body is predominantly water so therefore it makes sense that by cutting this macro that the weight loss will be substantial, and upon introducing it again the body will also begin to re hold the water that it's lost, as well as extra as it's been deprived for so long, you can lose a healthy amount of weight and keep it off by just counting your macros and cutting back a slight amount per day :)
  • MaryJane_8810002
    MaryJane_8810002 Posts: 2,082 Member
    Options
    I didn't even know that Atkins still existed.
  • Healthymeemaw1
    Healthymeemaw1 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I've done Atkins and did really well on it, but found it a little too restricting (for me) I'm doing Jorge Cruise's plan where there's a little more room for eating a larger variety of things. I do best by limiting my carbs which is what this plan does too. The best of luck to you, whatever you feel best about doing is what you should be doing.
  • 24lol25
    24lol25 Posts: 49
    Options
    I did it for a while a couple of years ago. There were some results, but it was extremely difficult to maintain. I broke off of it when Christmas came :/
  • LKPMiller
    LKPMiller Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I've done Atkins a couple times over the years. My mom swore by it when I was younger, so when I started gaining a lot of weight after college, she helped me do the diet. The Buddy system is a MUST! It was incredibly restricted in that original version; however, I lost a good 30 lbs. in about 3 months. Didn't make my goal of 135 lbs, but I made 142! The weight stayed off for a good five years, but then I had a carb binge after a move... That was in the early 90's. By the early 2000's, I had gained a little back (another major move) and found the New Revolution (last version put together during Atkins life, I think). So I really got back into the program and followed it religiously. I learned that you MUST increase the carbs every week-- it's like stoking furnace. Mom wasn't there to buddy up with, but I found a lovely website to chat and post. (Alas, it is no longer a live site.) I think I was up to 65 carbs a day? Anyway, I lost another 35 lbs. in about 3-3 1/2 months. That time, it stayed off for YEARS, again. But I was "foiled" by a bottomless bowl of Tootsie Roll Midgets at a temp job. By the end (early November) of that assignment I had lost all control and was fat again by Christmas. SO. 12 or 13 years later and many "normal" diet later, I am once again doing Atkins.
  • Leonidas_meets_Spartacus
    Leonidas_meets_Spartacus Posts: 6,198 Member
    Options
    I don't do Atkins but just watch carbs. Some of my ignorant friends think I am on some kinda bacon and steak diet. LOL. I eat more veggies than those guys and probably eat bacon or steak like 5 times a month. Most people gain back weight because they go back to the old habits. Its simple, you get back to old habits, no diet can stop you from gaining the weight back. My advice is, try and see if Atkins is the right diet for you long term. You need to figure it out.
  • vvendy_darling
    Options
    What is your reasoning for doing atkins?

Is there a medical reason you need to be on a low carb diet?

If not, then there are much better options, easier options to maintain.
  • Ashwee87
    Ashwee87 Posts: 695 Member
    Options
    I am not, but I wanted to say keep at it and don't let some people be jerks to you. If it works for you, then I say do it!

My brother lost over 60lbs on Atkins and is maintaining just fine and still sticking to it. Once you hit your goal, you can adjust your diet a little to maintain.
  • nellyb2011
    nellyb2011 Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    BUMP
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options

I'm sure the OP has done their homework.

I think the main reason most people doing low carbs is for better health!

But hey if your happy with your health as it is keep eating high carbs.
    Options

Whats easier for you may not be easier for some one else.
  • hasta_la_vista_belly
    Options
    I don't do Atkins. I just do straight up Keto. Changed my life and is perfectly sustainable not to mention one of the easiest diets I have ever been on. I eat tons of vegetables along with my meat. And honestly I've never felt better.
  • Rocbola
    Rocbola Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options

If the OP had really done their homework, they wouldn't be trying Atkins.
  • tennisdude2004
    Options

Why - what is wrong with Aitkins.

I believe at phase 4 you can eat 50 grams of carbs (more than enough if you are eat nutrient rich vegetable).
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options

She didn't look on PETA or other vegan propaganda sites.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't ever do it myself (I love my carbs and I'm already at goal) but I know tons of people who've done it and successfully lost weight. I even know one guy who actually maintained for a few years. (Nobody else I know did, sadly, because they just couldn't make it permanent.) If it's right for you and you've got the discipline, it should work fine. Good luck! :drinker:
  • Rocbola
    Rocbola Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options

She didn't look on PETA or other vegan propaganda sites.
    I wouldn't recommend that. PETA and propaganda sites would give you no good information. Why would anyone want to read propaganda? It seems you have based your opinions on meat propaganda, so i guess the answer to that last question is you.

Personally, unlike some, (cough, you , cough) i prefer reputable sources. I'd recommend studying medical journals, epidemiology and the work of the many doctors who have reversed and cured diseases by putting patients on proper whole foods diets.
    Options

LMAO.
  • tennisdude2004
    Options

LMAO.

So did I - DERP
  • Kate
    Kate Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Both the Atkins diet and the Heller (Carbohydrate addicts diet) work because the body is not putting out insulin as often. Insulin is the hunger hormone. That is why many of us have cravings for more when we eat carbs, especially foods with a high glycemic index.
    I did the Atkins diet years ago. I had tons of energy and never got cravings or the "shakes" from low blood sugar, an affliction I have had all my life.
    Yes, no matter what diet plan, including simple calorie restriction, anyone will gain weight if they go back to their old habits. You can hardly blame the diet for that. Weight loss can only be maintained by changing one's eating habits FOR LIFE.

There is nothing unsafe or unhealthy about the low carb way of eating. Lets not forget that the Inuit people lived on fish, meat and blubber and were very healthy with no heart disease until they adopted the Western diet. The Masai people of Africa live on fermented milk, meat and blood and are very lean healthy people.