The Scale Won't Move! :(

Options
So I join MFP about 5 days ago but it has been about 2 weeks that I've been carefully watching my weight and trying to eat everything that's healthy, drinking lots of water and keeping at my calorie goal...but the scale hasn't moved! I been doing everything right (well at least I think I have) and my weight is still at 128.5 :frown:

Is this normal?

Replies

• wannaBrunnner81
    wannaBrunnner81 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    It can be. It may be that you dont have as much weight to loose as you think, so without vigorous daily excersize you wont loose much with just diet alone. Just a thought.
  • Courtney066
    Options
    Yeah you're probably right... I just have so much stuff to do in my day that when I finally have time to workout I don't want to because I just want to relax...gah! it sucks
  • bethsmoothmove
    bethsmoothmove Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Firstly, how tall are you? I find that if my weight is under like 125lbs my weight loss slows dramatically or even stops completely on anything but a ridiculously low intake (ie. I maintain on 1000cals a day and gain on 1200). I HAVE to exercise. And I'm 5'5" (my metabolism is really messed up). If you've never really had time to work out, it could be that you have low muscle % which will use up your calories less than if you were the same weight but muscly.
  • bethsmoothmove
    bethsmoothmove Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I don't have a lot of free time either and used this as an excuse not to work out. I started by doing yoga before bed, which was a nice relaxing thing to do and can help tone and build muscle. Now I'm working on the Scorpion pose, so every time I get to an advert break on tv or go to the loo or get a drink or get up or just randomly, I will go and stand on my head for a bit and then do some stretching and then stand on my head again. My housemate gets very confused when we are watching tv together!
  • karenowen60
    karenowen60 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    It usually takes a good four weeks for the body to adjust to the new lifestyle before you start to see anything happening. Use a tape measure as that is more accurate than scales, as they can fluctuate all the time.
    In saying that, if you don't have much to lose it could take longer. I have been logging on here for 8 weeks now, exercising my butt off and watching my calorie intake & I haven't lost a thing, inches or weight. I only want to lose 3 kilos & have never had this much trouble losing.
    Hang in there, are you eating back your exercise calories, that can have an effect on the weightloss as well.
  • Courtney066
    Options
    I'm 5ft 3in, I use to work out a lot but I quit in October (I don't really know why though haha) but since college has started I haven't been really able to go
  • Courtney066
    Options
    Well...Idk if you consider this a work out bbuuttt sometimes I just dance around like a maniac and blast music haha no one is there so I don't really care. I use to do Zumba and still remember some routines but I really don't do that often. I probably don't have the best balance to do yoga. So would just dancing like a crazy person for like 30 minutes a day help?
  • Heyyleigh
    Heyyleigh Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    Open your diary.
  • Courtney066
    Options
    Ok I just did
  • knyfz
    knyfz Posts: 6
    Options
    It's only been 2 weeks. You won't see results in 2 months or more if you keep worrying. Don't stop eating healthy and exercising. Weight loss can be extremely rewarding. Keep in mind that the less you weigh, the longer it will take to shed pounds. :bigsmile:
  • Courtney066
    Options
    Firstly, how tall are you? I find that if my weight is under like 125lbs my weight loss slows dramatically or even stops completely on anything but a ridiculously low intake (ie. I maintain on 1000cals a day and gain on 1200). I HAVE to exercise. And I'm 5'5" (my metabolism is really messed up). If you've never really had time to work out, it could be that you have low muscle % which will use up your calories less than if you were the same weight but muscly.

I'm 5ft 3in, I use to work out a lot but I quit in October (I don't really know why though haha) but since college has started I haven't been really able to go
  • Courtney066
    Options
    I don't have a lot of free time either and used this as an excuse not to work out. I started by doing yoga before bed, which was a nice relaxing thing to do and can help tone and build muscle. Now I'm working on the Scorpion pose, so every time I get to an advert break on tv or go to the loo or get a drink or get up or just randomly, I will go and stand on my head for a bit and then do some stretching and then stand on my head again. My housemate gets very confused when we are watching tv together!

Well...Idk if you consider this a work out bbuuttt sometimes I just dance around like a maniac and blast music haha no one is there so I don't really care. I use to do Zumba and still remember some routines but I really don't do that often. I probably don't have the best balance to do yoga. So would just dancing like a crazy person for like 30 minutes a day help?
  • Courtney066
    Options
    Open your diary.
    Ok I just did
  • Heyyleigh
    Heyyleigh Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    Alright, remember you are 18 and still growing so keep that in mind. :) It is great you are trying to eat better and logging food is a real way to see what you eat. I have been here for a long time and pretty much don't log anymore, in maint and doing well. It is a learning process.
    Some thoughts to what I saw when I looked at your diary. Think clean, green and lean- Little processed. The frozen berries are good but you are over on your sugar each day. (based on your mfp stats)-Yes, some will argue that is it a natural sugar but in weight loss its best to watch this. There is no definitive answer to the question, but 40 grams is the recommended amount for non-diabetic people. You could also switch to a Brown sugar substitute/Splenda. If you are against those, you'll need to watch that sugar count. Yes a calorie is a calorie BUT I think the value of that calorie makes a big difference in the outcome. You also were way below your calories some days. Your carbs are high and protein low. Suggestions on food changes- Try Unsweetened almond milk, Kashi cereals and bars, chose some Greek yogurts- Dannon light & fit is good, or Activia light, raw almonds, fresh veggies and salads with grilled chicken/Fish.
    Snacks- raw veggies, light cheese sticks, natural peanut butter, nuts, kind bars, quest protein bars. There are so many options and you have to find what works for you. The forums will be full of opinions.
    Losing weight is 85% diet. Exercise is not a requirement, just a benefit. Keep eating clean healthy choices and give it some time. It takes a long time for everything to adjust. Google search will give you tons of recipe ideas.
    Enjoy being 18 & in college. :)
  • michaeldkelley31
    Options
    yea mayne i mean come on now you can't expect it to move down unless you be smokin or somethin and not eatin
    But i weighted 135-140 for like 7 or eight years dont matter what i eat i just gotta watch that dough (your like that too)
  • EpsilonGamma
    Options
    Looking at your diary for the last few days and there is one really glaring problem. You are not eating enough protein.

Muscles in your body is one of the biggest ways to burn calories. So the more muscles you have, the more calories you burn. How granted, you don't want to gain more muscle, but you won't if you don't lift HEAVY weights regularly.

Your goal says 60g of protein which is sweet f all and you don't even meet half of that each day.

On the other hand, you are eating too many carbs. Carbs help your muscles retain water (glycogen) and eating a lot of it, well you should get the picture. Oh and you are eating way too much sugar.

Reduce your carbs to around 150. Up your protein to at least 60. You might get some results then.
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    This is the maintaining weight area, so you're in the wrong area. On the other hand, most people here have hit their goals.

At a 500 calorie/day deficit it takes a week to lose a pound. We all go up and down 3-5 pounds a day because of water, pooping, etc. So it's hard to see a real loss of 1 pound a week in a short amount of time because it gets lost in the noise.

Second, accurate weighing and measuring and logging is more essential than everything else. Give it time. And no, you don't need to exercise to lose weight. Very good for your health and looks though.
  • WannaBeSexyAt40
    Options
    I joined March 3rd and I know that its really too soon, but my scale doesn't stay the same from day to day. I actually weigh more in the morning than in the afternoon so I weigh myself around 12-1 am. I have a tape measure and its staying the same. Everyday I'm over on sugar :mad: I've really changed my eating. Doesn't my body see that at all>
  • djsmeme
    djsmeme Posts: 2
    Options
    Yes, baby girl it's a long process I am 272 and am really working hard at this but we are not quitters. So keep going for your goal . I ain't mad at you.
  • Arranna1212
    Arranna1212 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    You NEED to give this time! You will not see results over night.. Unless you are doing some serious workouts and diet changes, you're not going to see inches lost in your first month. Just remember to eat healthy, hit your macros, exercise and give it time.