help me makeover my baked ziti please!

Options
13»

Replies

• katielauren2001
    katielauren2001 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Extra lean ground beef and make your own sauce. I would stick to regular cheeses to be honest, I have no idea what kind of things are in low- fat cheese.

Make sure you still drain the fat from the beef also, even though its extra lean it will still have some fat to drain.

Try it with quinoa pasta instead of regular pasta.

Make a smaller portion and serve with a heap of vegetables.
  • Amandawith3kids
    Amandawith3kids Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    can u keep it in therotaion but maybe just once a month? maybe work out and extra half hour or hour on the day you know you are going to have it so you can make room for it calorically???

it is already only once a month. :) i have 4 weeks of meal plans, that i rotate through monthly, with a crap foods week thrown in here and there as budget dictates. we do have lasagna once a month too, but thats not quite so many calories because its a bigger pan ;) i do the tdee method, so i dont eat back my exercise calories, i dont even track them, just minutes exercised.

to update:
    went grocery shopping, went over budget (ugh) but i got fat free ricotta, 93% ground turkey, and i already had some mozzarella, so i'll just use that, which amounts to about half of the normal amount. i also got different sauce, this new kind is organic marinara, one marinara and one tomato basil. i'll make my own sauce next time, when i have a bit more money. 100 bucks doesnt go very far. :(
  • LosingItForGood13
    LosingItForGood13 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Ground chicken or turkey instead of ground beef
  • knra_grl
    knra_grl Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    can u keep it in therotaion but maybe just once a month? maybe work out and extra half hour or hour on the day you know you are going to have it so you can make room for it calorically???

it is already only once a month. :) i have 4 weeks of meal plans, that i rotate through monthly, with a crap foods week thrown in here and there as budget dictates. we do have lasagna once a month too, but thats not quite so many calories because its a bigger pan ;) i do the tdee method, so i dont eat back my exercise calories, i dont even track them, just minutes exercised.

to update:
    went grocery shopping, went over budget (ugh) but i got fat free ricotta, 93% ground turkey, and i already had some mozzarella, so i'll just use that, which amounts to about half of the normal amount. i also got different sauce, this new kind is organic marinara, one marinara and one tomato basil. i'll make my own sauce next time, when i have a bit more money. 100 bucks doesnt go very far. :(

Totally hear that! One night I went to pick up ingredients for something which included a few different kinds of cheese (think it was baked tortellini) and I had to to a double take at the total! Sure I could have just had it with the sauce but the cheese made it totally worth it!
  • hiyamippa
    hiyamippa Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I make a separate dish for myself by measuring out the pasta and sauce, using low fat cottage cheese (protein!) and a couple of tablespoons of grated Parmesan. I don't love cheese so this is a great alternative for my family-we all get the dinner we like and I don't feel guilty. Serve it with roasted broccoli or cauliflower and yum!
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    OK, this is a little radical. We very rarely make pasta anymore, but when we do it's whole wheat, homemade tomato sauce, and very lean ground turkey. Maybe a sprinkle of fat free feta on top.

But I REALLY like this now. http://allrecipes.com/recipe/spaghetti-squash-i/
    147 kcal

1 spaghetti squash, halved lengthwise and seeded
    2 tablespoons vegetable oil
    1 onion, chopped
    1 clove garlic, minced
    1 1/2 cups chopped tomatoes
    3/4 cup crumbled feta cheese I used fat free)
    3 tablespoons sliced black olives
    2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil

After a while, you'll be amazed at what you can get used to.

NO …thats all I got...