Barbell Squat question

Options
Okay so I have added barbell squats to my repertoire, and I thought my form was pretty good...but someone approached me the other day and asked me if I knew I wasn't supposed to let my knees go over my toes. I didn't think they were going over by much, but I've tried to do deep squats without going over my toes a bit and I simply cant do it. It's like my body doesn't bend the same way, and it actually hurts my knees a bit to lean back farther to prevent this action. Can anyone help? I'm not doing super heavy squats at this point, just the olympic bar (45lb) plus 10lbs added, which seems to be the most I can do to get at least 4 sets of 8 reps in for now.

Replies

• jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options
    Well, here's an image from Starting Strength that might help resolve the knee-foot problem:

500px-Squat_Bar_Placement.jpg
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    ^ That image is right. Doesn't matter if your knees go past your toes. Almost everybody's do. Just try to keep your heels down by sitting back a little. For your knees, make sure that your knees track along in the same direction with your feet -- That is, that your knees do not collapse in or bow out. That is the expert advice that I have always heard.
  • rejectuf
    rejectuf Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    You probably need to work on your mobility. Look up hip mobility exercises. Stretch a lot. Just keep working at it, it will come with time and practice.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    pick up a copy of starting strength…rippletoe breaks down barbell squat form really well in that book. ..

you can also you tube some form videos..

But on deep squats it is ok for knees to go over a little...
  • toddis
    toddis Posts: 941 Member
    Options
  • belle_of_the_bar
    belle_of_the_bar Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    Well, here's an image from Starting Strength that might help resolve the knee-foot problem:

500px-Squat_Bar_Placement.jpg

This. It's all individual body mechanics. I have really long thighs and shorter calves so my knees go pretty far past my toes. I always focus on keeping my knees out chest up and the weight over my feet the entire movement.
  • jmg000
    jmg000 Posts: 16 Member
    Options

Das it Mane. Jonnie Candito explains it all.