I Have Never Owned A Pair Of Jeans, Until Today.

Options
That's right. I am 69 years old, and I have gone my entire life without even trying on a pair of jeans. I was too fat for jeans in Junior High, High School, College, my 20's, my 30's, my 40's, my 50's and even now, after losing 113 pounds. Well...at least, that is what I thought. Then, something happened.

It was announced in church that next Sunday will be Tee Shirt and Jeans Sunday. My first thought was, “You’ve got to be kidding. Even Mother Bowen owns a pair of jeans, and she is in her 80’s. What was my excuse? It’s not like I am too fat anymore. In fact, I am the smallest woman in the church right now. Even the beautiful 20 years old girls in the congregation are heavier than me.

So, what was stopping me from buying and wearing jeans? It was nothing but old messages that I had been carrying around in my brain for too many years. “Fat girls shouldn’t wear jeans.” “Jeans are for cute, little girls with tiny butts and flat tummies.” “You will look foolish.” “Mutton dressed up like lamb,” as my mother would say. Which meant that old ladies should not wear clothes designed for teenagers; and obviously, jeans are only for teenagers and cowgirls. Right?

However, something clicked in my old brain on Sunday. Not even one of those church ladies felt silly wearing jeans, not Pastor Bowen or her mother. I was the only one who was afraid to be seen in jeans.

With encouragement from some of the church ladies and some Sisters on MFP, I finally realized that it was time to delete those old messages. I made up my mind to finally put my butt into a pair of jeans. I started today with that very goal in mind.

Ed took me to Walmart, where I found a sweet sales clerk to help me select some jeans to try on. I gave this lady a very clear list of must haves and must not haves for my first pair of jeans.

1. No hip huggers. I wasn’t about to walk around with a muffin top. I think that look tacky and unattractive. If you don’t have abs like Gillian Michaels, you need to rein in the extra fat that is popping out or hanging over your waist band. If your butt crack is threatening to moon everyone around you, then get your ample butt into the right size pants that cover your butt and muffin top. Noone thinks that your extra fat looks cute or sexy over the top of your jeans, but you. Stop wearing pants that stop at your pubic area, just because you want to be able to say, “I wear a size 10.” Your belly is probably a size 18.

2. No faded jeans that look like they are been worn 1,000 times. It is even worse, when they have bleach spots, worn out areas over the thighs and butt…and (Heaven forbid) no pants that are shredded over the thighs, knees and some other even worse areas. I wanted a nice pair of new looking jeans in dark navy or even black that would look crisp and clean for church.

3. Not too tight in the legs. I didn’t want to struggle to pull those jeans over my feet. After double knee surgery, I shouldn't be wrestling to get my size 8/9 feet into the legs of my new jeans on Sunday morning.

4. Speaking of wrestling with my pants. The size had to be just right. I wasn’t about to lay on my back, hold my breath and use pliers to pull up the zipper on those pants. I also didn’t want to have to hire a professional wrestler to get my butt into skin tight jeans.

5. Last but not least…I thought it might be nice to have something pretty on the back pockets, like those designer jeans…just something to make them look less like cowgirl pants.

Well…in no time at all, I was in the dressing room with 3 pair of Lee Ryder jeans in my size, which turned out to be 16 petite in jeans. You Sisters were right. Jeans run smaller than my polyester pants.

As I pulled up that first pair of boot cut jeans, I was amazed that they slid on with no resistance. They were a perfect fit. These dark blue pants will be just right for casual activities during the coming months, but they weren’t exactly what I wanted for church. That’s when, I decided to go for 2 pair of jeans today.

03-07-14SuesNewJeans04BestLeeRydersBootCut_zps8e2d4f38.jpg

The next pair of Lee Ryder caught my attention, while they were just lying on display table. These were no everyday jeans. These were jeans with attitude. The dark, teal green jeans with the slim legs had something extra. Both the back pockets had a beautiful embroidered design that was set off with rhinestones. These were Lee Ryder Glitz jeans, and I just loved them at first sight. I had a little bling for my butt.

I will be honest. I had to take a deep breath to close that button at the waistband and pull up the zipper on this pair of jeans, but I did it. I kind of like that little bit of ‘snug’ over my butt and around my tummy. Best of all, I caught a glimpse of the rhinestones sparkling in the dressing room mirror. These jeans made me feel sexy. Yep. Suddenly, I was a 69 year old hottie in her tight, Glitz jeans. These were the pant for Sunday Tee Shirt and Jeans Day. I now owned not one but two pair of jeans, after all these years.

03-07-14SuesNewJeans02BestLeeRyderGlitz_zpsdb1eff1c.jpg

By the way…when I got home, I tried on the Glitz jeans for my hubbie Ed. He walked over to me, put his index finger on my butt, made a sound like sizzling bacon and said, “Hot Mama!”

Now, that confirmed what I felt earlier. Yep. I am a 69 year old hottie.

Here is the design on the back of those Glitz jeans.

03-07-14SuesNewJeans05GlitzButt_zps49e88311.jpg

Do your jeans make you feel sexy?

Replies

• animalldy
    animalldy Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Lookin' good! Way to go! :)
  • Myhaloslipped
    Myhaloslipped Posts: 4,317 Member
    Options
    This is a wonderful story! Thank you for sharing, and you look great in your new jeans! :laugh:
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options
    Great read! You look awesome! Keep up the hard work! :flowerforyou:
  • kellyj5201
    kellyj5201 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    WOOOT WOOOOT! way to go.... i just love reading your posts! you remind me of my own grandma who is 70y/o and still full of spunk! congrats on your "new knees" and wonderful weight loss!:heart:
  • laurie04427
    laurie04427 Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    Your comment about hip huggers gave me the giggles. I totally agree!

Congrats on the jeans! They look great! And thanks for sharing the pictures.
  • disneygallagirl
    disneygallagirl Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    just fabulous!
  • dunnodunno
    dunnodunno Posts: 2,290 Member
    Options
    Way to go. I love reading your posts keep them coming. My grandma is in her 70's and is very fashionable for her age and loves to go shopping.
  • ME0172
    ME0172 Posts: 200
    Options
    Awesome! Way to go!
  • outofworkpediatrician
    Options
    That is an awesome story! thanks for sharing with us. you are a very beautiful lady and that is what people talk about when they say "aging gracefully"!! congrats on your weight loss and keep up the good work.
    67667 Posts: 14
    Options
    That's right. I am 69 years old, and I have gone my entire life without even trying on a pair of jeans. I was too fat for jeans in Junior High, High School, College, my 20's, my 30's, my 40's, my 50's and even now, after losing 113 pounds. Well...at least, that is what I thought. Then, something happened.

It was announced in church that next Sunday will be Tee Shirt and Jeans Sunday. My first thought was, “You’ve got to be kidding. Even Mother Bowen owns a pair of jeans, and she is in her 80’s. What was my excuse? It’s not like I am too fat anymore. In fact, I am the smallest woman in the church right now. Even the beautiful 20 years old girls in the congregation are heavier than me.

So, what was stopping me from buying and wearing jeans? It was nothing but old messages that I had been carrying around in my brain for too many years. “Fat girls shouldn’t wear jeans.” “Jeans are for cute, little girls with tiny butts and flat tummies.” “You will look foolish.” “Mutton dressed up like lamb,” as my mother would say. Which meant that old ladies should not wear clothes designed for teenagers; and obviously, jeans are only for teenagers and cowgirls. Right?

However, something clicked in my old brain on Sunday. Not even one of those church ladies felt silly wearing jeans, not Pastor Bowen or her mother. I was the only one who was afraid to be seen in jeans.

With encouragement from some of the church ladies and some Sisters on MFP, I finally realized that it was time to delete those old messages. I made up my mind to finally put my butt into a pair of jeans. I started today with that very goal in mind.

Ed took me to Walmart, where I found a sweet sales clerk to help me select some jeans to try on. I gave this lady a very clear list of must haves and must not haves for my first pair of jeans.

1. No hip huggers. I wasn’t about to walk around with a muffin top. I think that look tacky and unattractive. If you don’t have abs like Gillian Michaels, you need to rein in the extra fat that is popping out or hanging over your waist band. If your butt crack is threatening to moon everyone around you, then get your ample butt into the right size pants that cover your butt and muffin top. Noone thinks that your extra fat looks cute or sexy over the top of your jeans, but you. Stop wearing pants that stop at your pubic area, just because you want to be able to say, “I wear a size 10.” Your belly is probably a size 18.

2. No faded jeans that look like they are been worn 1,000 times. It is even worse, when they have bleach spots, worn out areas over the thighs and butt…and (Heaven forbid) no pants that are shredded over the thighs, knees and some other even worse areas. I wanted a nice pair of new looking jeans in dark navy or even black that would look crisp and clean for church.

3. Not too tight in the legs. I didn’t want to struggle to pull those jeans over my feet. After double knee surgery, I shouldn't be wrestling to get my size 8/9 feet into the legs of my new jeans on Sunday morning.

4. Speaking of wrestling with my pants. The size had to be just right. I wasn’t about to lay on my back, hold my breath and use pliers to pull up the zipper on those pants. I also didn’t want to have to hire a professional wrestler to get my butt into skin tight jeans.

5. Last but not least…I thought it might be nice to have something pretty on the back pockets, like those designer jeans…just something to make them look less like cowgirl pants.

Well…in no time at all, I was in the dressing room with 3 pair of Lee Ryder jeans in my size, which turned out to be 16 petite in jeans. You Sisters were right. Jeans run smaller than my polyester pants.

As I pulled up that first pair of boot cut jeans, I was amazed that they slid on with no resistance. They were a perfect fit. These dark blue pants will be just right for casual activities during the coming months, but they weren’t exactly what I wanted for church. That’s when, I decided to go for 2 pair of jeans today.

03-07-14SuesNewJeans04BestLeeRydersBootCut_zps8e2d4f38.jpg

The next pair of Lee Ryder caught my attention, while they were just lying on display table. These were no everyday jeans. These were jeans with attitude. The dark, teal green jeans with the slim legs had something extra. Both the back pockets had a beautiful embroidered design that was set off with rhinestones. These were Lee Ryder Glitz jeans, and I just loved them at first sight. I had a little bling for my butt.

I will be honest. I had to take a deep breath to close that button at the waistband and pull up the zipper on this pair of jeans, but I did it. I kind of like that little bit of ‘snug’ over my butt and around my tummy. Best of all, I caught a glimpse of the rhinestones sparkling in the dressing room mirror. These jeans made me feel sexy. Yep. Suddenly, I was a 69 year old hottie in her tight, Glitz jeans. These were the pant for Sunday Tee Shirt and Jeans Day. I now owned not one but two pair of jeans, after all these years.

03-07-14SuesNewJeans02BestLeeRyderGlitz_zpsdb1eff1c.jpg

By the way…when I got home, I tried on the Glitz jeans for my hubbie Ed. He walked over to me, put his index finger on my butt, made a sound like sizzling bacon and said, “Hot Mama!”

Now, that confirmed what I felt earlier. Yep. I am a 69 year old hottie.

Here is the design on the back of those Glitz jeans.

03-07-14SuesNewJeans05GlitzButt_zps49e88311.jpg

Do your jeans make you feel sexy?

What do people wear, if not jeans? I've never not worn them... They are a staple item. Strange. But then again I dress like a cowgirl with fitted jeans, ankle heel boots, and whatever long-sleeved fitted top I have.... *cringe* I can pull it off I swear.

btw congrats. you look good in them :) I love reading ur posts.:heart:
  • acogg
    acogg Posts: 1,871 Member
    Options
    Looking good! So awesome!
  • JoanneLynn
    JoanneLynn Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Cute Jeans!
  • dmpizza
    dmpizza Posts: 3,321 Member
    Options
    Good for you.
  • Sunbrooke
    Sunbrooke Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    They look great! You won't want to wear anything else now ????
  • leachjg
    leachjg Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I love your attitude! I think if my mom was still around you would have inspired her! She went to THE party in the sky almost seven years ago. She died of a very aggressive very rare cancer and was obese all of her life. She tried, but I believe had some demons in her past she was not willing/able to face. God has shown me what they were and that she couldn't face them. I know she hated how big she was. I've lost almost 60lbs in two years. I will not grow old and have diabetes, high blood pressure, high cholesterol because that is what was facing me. God bless you and finally facing all those demons.
  • Flacachica
    Flacachica Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    Good for you! You go hottie!

Yes, a good fitting pair of jeans can make you feel sexy!

I bought some with "bling" on the butt/back pockets for the first time ever recently and I must say they are fun! I never bought those before because I thought "why would I want to draw attention to/someone to look at MY butt?". I found the perfect pair and love them! :laugh:
  • catfive1
    catfive1 Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    It is time to tuck in your t-shirt and show off your hard work. Love the jeans.
  • Marjrides
    Marjrides Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Sue, the surprises and exciting experiences just keep happening with the "new you" don't they? I wear jeans almost all the time except to church or some special occasion. I like the Gloria Vanderbilt "Amanda"style jeans because they sit AT my waist and have plenty of room for my "more mature" figure. Usually watch for a sale at any store that carries them. While I wear a 12 or 14 in slacks, in jeans it's a 14 or 16 due to the slightly less stretchy material, because I do not like squeezing into "skinny jeans" either! Have fun at church on Sunday and enjoy your jeans to the max! Love your posts and look forward to each new one. :love:
  • RamonaFr
    RamonaFr Posts: 112
    Options
    I love jeans, and I think a good-fitting pair of jeans looks good on anyone, even if you're overweight. My favorite is straight-leg 5-pocket jeans with a natural waist. I also wear a petite size, not because I'm skinny -- I'm not -- but because I'm short.

Good for you! Now, a good pair of boots and some snazzy sweaters to wear with those jeans.
  • debbiedoeshealth
    debbiedoeshealth Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I love your posts!