BMR/TDEE Eating Back Exercise Calories (just to clarify)

Options
Hey, I just have a question about eating back calories, which I know has been talked about so much on this forum. I just wanted someone to clarify whether or not I still eat back exercise calories if let's say I use the IIFYM calculator, got a TDEE of 2150, and a BMR of 1500, but decide to eat 1600 a day. So if I eat 1600 (deficit of 500) and burn let's say 300, should I eat those or at least half of those back still...or does that only work for when MFP gives me my calories? Thanks!

Replies

• ashleycde
    ashleycde Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    Did you consider your workouts into your TDEE when you calculated them? As an example, I work a desk job and am sedentary for a large portion of the day, but I also workout 6-7 days a week at varying intensities. If I calculated my TDEE to include my workouts, it would be higher, taking into consideration the calories I burn through my activity level and workouts. In this case, I would not eat back my exercise calories. If I calculated my TDEE as sedentary or lightly active, not at all taking into consideration my workouts, my TDEE would be lower and as such, I would eat back my exercise calories to net above my BMR, but still below my TDEE. I prefer doing the latter, but either way works depending on your own personal preference. If you used the IIFYM calculator, it is likely that you already considered your exercise into your TDEE. Hope this helps!
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options
    Hey, I just have a question about eating back calories, which I know has been talked about so much on this forum. I just wanted someone to clarify whether or not I still eat back exercise calories if let's say I use the IIFYM calculator, got a TDEE of 2150, and a BMR of 1500, but decide to eat 1600 a day. So if I eat 1600 (deficit of 500) and burn let's say 300, should I eat those or at least half of those back still...or does that only work for when MFP gives me my calories? Thanks!

TDEE calculators use your activity level and your workouts to come up with the TDEE number so if you add exercise calories to that number you will essentially be double counting the calorie burn from your workouts. When you go the TDEE route, you factor in your workouts for the calculations, then from that point forward you do not "track workouts" with MFP, you just eat the same calorie intake every day.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,136 Member
    Options
    How I understand it:

Using TDEE means don't eat back exercise calories because they're already factored into your calorie goal.

Using MFP (sedentary+logging exercise) means you eat back your exercise calories.