Doubt about dieting & Sweets

Options
Hello,

I am currently doing a 1200 cal diet. I just have a doubt: is eating chocolate or chocolate buiscuits (f.e. for breakfast) messing up my whole diet IF I'm staying under the sugar, carbs and calorie limit every day?

I still eat some not "diet safe" foods, but I'm always under the limit. Thanks a lot:)

Replies

• tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options
    Hello,

I am currently doing a 1200 cal diet. I just have a doubt: is eating chocolate or chocolate buiscuits (f.e. for breakfast) messing up my whole diet IF I'm staying under the sugar, carbs and calorie limit every day?

I still eat some not "diet safe" foods, but I'm always under the limit. Thanks a lot:)

1200 cals - is that the amount that MFP set you after you entered all of your details. And if you are exercising are you eating back you cals?

If you're eating in a deficit you 'should' lose weight. Eating more veggies fruit and protein / fats will be a healthier way of doing it, but do give yourself some less healthy treats (like choc and biscuits).
  • wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options
    In terms of pure weight loss, only being in a calorie deficit counts. If you want to minimize lean muscle loss and continue to have healthy bodily functions, meet your protein and fat macros and all of your micronutrient needs. What foods you eat to achieve this is largely irrelevant.
  • 911_911
    911_911 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Hello,

1200 cals - is that the amount that MFP set you after you entered all of your details. And if you are exercising are you eating back you cals?

If you're eating in a deficit you 'should' lose weight. Eating more veggies fruit and protein / fats will be a healthier way of doing it, but do give yourself some less healthy treats (like choc and biscuits).

Yes, it's according to what MFP said "I should eat". Is it too much or too little in your opinion? I've done diets in the past following the doctor's advice and they always were 1500cal.
    I do eat a lot of veg and healthy snacks, I just sometimes crave chocolate too much.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    Hello,

Yes, it's according to what MFP said "I should eat". Is it too much or too little in your opinion? I've done diets in the past following the doctor's advice and they always were 1500cal.
    I do eat a lot of veg and healthy snacks, I just sometimes crave chocolate too much.

MFP gives you a calorie goal based on your weekly weight loss goal...did you put in 1lb a week or more? You have about 10lbs to lose so 1/2lb is plenty.

If you look at my diary you see I eat chocolate every night (lately) and have sweets frequently...and I get 1600 calories and lose weight.
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options
    Hello,

If you're exercising make sure you log that and MFP will recalculate your calories accordingly.

Nothing wrong with having some treats - a lot of people follow an 80/20 split 80% nutrient efficient food and 20% nutrient deficient. As long as it fits into your calories enjoy.

My personal choice is 85% dark choc, plus I've cut a lot do added sugar and grain from my diet - eating a high fat low carb style - which incidentally has stopped all my carb cravings ????
  • GlitterrMagpie
    GlitterrMagpie Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    I still enjoy eating chocolate I just don't go overboard. Everything in moderation means you don't feel deprived and are more likely to stick with it long term.
  • wahmx3
    wahmx3 Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    Totally agree, I don't think a day goes by that i don't eat chocolate! I keep kisses and other chocolate in the freezer, let them melt in my mouth, they last so much longer and really helps with cravings for an entire bar or something worse. I think it is about balance and moderation....I really think long term, there is nothing I want to give up forever.
    I still enjoy eating chocolate I just don't go overboard. Everything in moderation means you don't feel deprived and are more likely to stick with it long term.
  • gypsy_spirit
    gypsy_spirit Posts: 2,107 Member
    Options
    Calorie deficit. Then meet your macros. Be realistic and try to keep your foods as normal as possible. Long term success depends on it.
  • bumblebeez86
    bumblebeez86 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    I am on 1500 (and sometimes go over) and losing and I eat chocolate sweets crisps etc everything in moderation
  • motivatedmartha
    motivatedmartha Posts: 1,108 Member
    Options
    MFP recommends 1200 for me too - I'm 58 - normally sedentary and set to loose 1-2lbs per week. I have started to add in exercise and eat back half of those calories as I understand MFP may overestimate cals burned. I plan some wine and a set amount of chocolate every day into my daily log. That is enough to give me my daily treat and it is soo enjoyable! I find it helps to log everything I plan on eating for the day first thing in the morning - including my treat. I then know how much extra exercise I would have to do to 'pay' for anything else I put in my mouth.
    Have your choc biscuit or whatever - just plan for it and log it :smile:
  • supermysza
    supermysza Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I am a total sweet tooth but as long as you stay under your limit and still do exercise you will lose weight.
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    Eat "good" (whatever that means to you) 80% of the time. Fit yummy, portion-controlled treats into your calorie goal. Deprivation can lead to bingeing.

Read this: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

Edited to add that the closer you are to goal, the more slowly you lose. That's just how the human body works. With only 9 lb. to lose, you must set your goal to .5 lb. per week and be patient.

As for macros, I use MFP's protein & fiber goals as minimums and ignore carbs & fat. That helps me feel less hungry. It will take trial & error to find what works for you.