Um. I just ate a tub of ice cream and need help

Options

Replies

• EDollah
    EDollah Posts: 464 Member
    Options

Anyways, the thing I want to know is should I clock in the extra servings calories (Like the 12 instead of 9 servings) and add to my count the extra 300 calories that I 'must have' eaten if there are absolutely, without a doubt 12 servings in the tub? I could clock in the 9 servings, but then 300 calories difference is A LOT.

As I mentioned in a prior post, if you want those entries to be accurate, then type in "1.33" in the number of servings field. If this is confusing or causes any sort of distress for some reason, forget about it and move on. It's not that big a deal in the grand scheme of things.

sorry bad at math here...what exactly am I doing with that 1.33?

It's not that important, don't worry about it. The main thing is to use what you've learned here to measure accurately going forward.
  • taziarj
    taziarj Posts: 243 Member
    Options

The reason for the 1.33 is because it seems that you over portioned by one third when you ate 9 servings when it should have been 12. The 1.33 takes care of that mistake in your diary.
  • palomino698
    palomino698 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Definitely get scales and when accuracy matters, measure weighable foods by weight, not volume - leave the measuring jug for liquids ONLY.

It's a blip, it's not a disaster, and you know for next time! Hang in there, and good luck (I love ice cream...) :)
  • RissyChris
    Options

The reason for the 1.33 is because it seems that you over portioned by one third when you ate 9 servings when it should have been 12. The 1.33 takes care of that mistake in your diary.

ah! yes, ok, thank you! sorry for my confusion
  • palomino698
    palomino698 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I mean my cup that I put the ice cream in weighs something, so how would I gage it w/ice cream inside?

Does your food scale have a "tare" button? If it does, put your empty bowl on the scale, hit tare, then the measuring should go back to zero. This is how ours works!

Oh man, no, mine is from the 70's lol...it's really old but it's my mother's and she 'doesn't see a reason' in having another one even though I'd undoubtedly use it. Long story short, my parents are very unhealthy, overweight, and angry when people try to better themselves. I live at home to save money and commute to college and as a result I have a living hell being in the same household as them and them trying to sabotage my weight maintenance (evil people, am I right?). Anyways, if I were to bring home a new scale my Dad would break it (he did this to my other weight-maintence technology...my Fitbit, my scale for my body...he breaks things of mine cause he's an *kitten*.) So I really don't foresee myself purchasing another scale only to have him break it. And I can't hide it from him, we live in a small trailer-sized ranch home.

Sorry, I should have picked up here that your Dad wouldn't approve of you getting new food scales - in that case why not take a notebook, measure out your various foods in cups and tip onto your mother's scales to check the weight? Keep a note of what a cup of ice cream weighs, for example, or even do it the other way round, measure out the correct weight of ice cream and then pack it into your measuring cup to see how full it looks? You'll get used to what the portion size looks like, and it's not terrible if there are very slight inaccuracies anyway, it's the general trend of your eating that really matters, and how much exercise you have to use up excess calories.
  • MB2MN
    MB2MN Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    I mean my cup that I put the ice cream in weighs something, so how would I gage it w/ice cream inside?

Does your food scale have a "tare" button? If it does, put your empty bowl on the scale, hit tare, then the measuring should go back to zero. This is how ours works!

Oh man, no, mine is from the 70's lol...it's really old but it's my mother's and she 'doesn't see a reason' in having another one even though I'd undoubtedly use it. Long story short, my parents are very unhealthy, overweight, and angry when people try to better themselves. I live at home to save money and commute to college and as a result I have a living hell being in the same household as them and them trying to sabotage my weight maintenance (evil people, am I right?). Anyways, if I were to bring home a new scale my Dad would break it (he did this to my other weight-maintence technology...my Fitbit, my scale for my body...he breaks things of mine cause he's an *kitten*.) So I really don't foresee myself purchasing another scale only to have him break it. And I can't hide it from him, we live in a small trailer-sized ranch home.

Dafuq?? First of all, I'm sorry that your parents are so treating you so poorly. Maybe it's time to ask yourself if saving the money by living with them is worth the mental and physical stress. I know that wasn't your question, but it sounds like a pretty terrible situation.

Just weigh the bowl and subtract the weight from how much the bowl and serving are in total...If bowl is 2 oz and bowl with ice cream is 5 oz, 5-2 = 3 oz of ice cream.
  • RissyChris
    Options

Dafuq?? First of all, I'm sorry that your parents are so treating you so poorly. Maybe it's time to ask yourself if saving the money by living with them is worth the mental and physical stress. I know that wasn't your question, but it sounds like a pretty terrible situation.

Just weigh the bowl and subtract the weight from how much the bowl and serving are in total...If bowl is 2 oz and bowl with ice cream is 5 oz, 5-2 = 3 oz of ice cream.

Makes sense! Thanks to all the other answers saying the same thing. I can't respond to every single quote so I'll attempt to just acknowledge that here....

I mean I'm still hurting cause I just ate so much damn ice cream and I'm gonna clock in all the servings I must have ate (12) divided between the 12 hours but that has nothing to do with the scale. I'm glad I will know in the future how to measure the cup and whatnot...i'm also gonna not pack the stuff down as much. Because I was packing it down a good deal before and the ice cream was equaling out to the servings, but it was a different brand. I suppose this brand is just different and I will measure it.

But still, I'm pissed I just ate 12 servings of ice cream. Now I have to cut sooo many calories today
  • MACnificence
    MACnificence Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    Also calories don't just build up until 3500 and then poof you gain a Ib

I doubt your extra servings of Ice cream have put you over that much

Now to know how to measure more accurately do that from now on , and forget out yesterday's blip

Lifestyle change not diet don't panic , we can't always be spot on
  • katiemegcz
    katiemegcz Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Look. What your dad is doing is abusive. Don't continue that by abusing yourself over this. You ate too much ice cream one day. Let this go. Congratulate yourself on your honesty. The fact that you realized this and are concerned means that you are not lying to yourself like so many of us have when starting this journey. A lifestyle change should be a way of honoring yourself and taking care of yourself, not punishing yourself. If you had a child who went a little wild and busted into the candy jar, you would likely just tell them that was a bad idea, maybe explain why...maybe get the candy out of the house and move on. Try to treat yourself that way. Rather than going crazy on restricting calories...which will make you miserable and hungry and possibly at risk of a binge...why not go for a long walk, or do a little extra exercise today?

We ALL have cheat days. Forgive yourself.
  • ChasCullen
    ChasCullen Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Keep your weaknesses out of the house - i.e., out of easy reach. If I have ice cream in the house, I will eat it - although maybe not when I'm caring what my calorie total will be at the end of the day. If it fits into your daily total, and if you have the discipline to just have a small amount (counting the calories on the spot and entering them into your total for the day), you can give yourself the flavor at least. Also, ask yourself why you want it: for me it is usually to "feel good" - and I don't in the long run, just for that short time. After which, it starts again and we eat more.
  • RissyChris
    Options
    yep log it, move on. Now u know how to use the scale you have correctly, use it from now on.

Have u tried "bannana ice cream"?

What I do is peel and freeze a bannanna or two, weight them along with a scoop or two of nut butter (peanut? almond?PB2) throw all ingredients on puree in food processor, add an optional tblspn of milk (cows milk, coconut milk, soy milk, etc...) for creaminess.

Calorie wise it is close to ice cream, but it is all natural, no added sugars and SO delish! I top mine with a serving (14 grams) of dark chocolate chips of walnuts...TO.........DIE..................FOR..... seriously I eat this **** on the reg I am addicted to bananas they are my candy!

haha not to be gross but after eating all that no sugar added ice cream i could use some bananas right now. i just might do this little recipe today.
  • stormyxpony
    stormyxpony Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    RissyChris how are you and your family doing? How does your sister deal with it??
  • you overpacked your "cup"

"cups" outside of baking are poor gauges of measurement

You need a digital food scale then weight that ice cream to the gram/ounce serving size

Yes u overpacked and therefore underestimated your caloric intake.

Digital food scale 15 - 30 bucks at walmart

8 bucks for a decent spring scale if you are really hurting.

This. I love my digital scale, loooooooooooooooove it. P.S. I have Schawn's connections :bigsmile:
  • brenda5476
    brenda5476 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    put your cup on first, zero out your calories (mine has a button for that) or weigh your cup then weigh it full and subtract the weight of your cup
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I thought your parents didn't let you weigh your food?
  • needtogetfit932
    Options
    Just move on - everything will be ok.
  • iAmErikaP
    iAmErikaP Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Ice cream is my weakness! Srsly. I go all Cookie Monster on Edys cookie dough then wallow in self hate. Now, my husband says the thing to do is don't bring ice cream in the house. I disagree. He can go months without it, me not so much. My compromise- I started buying ice cream bars that are about 100 cals. I know exactly how much I am eating. When I scoop out my ice cream I used to use measuring cups. Then I would "reason" that well, the cup wasn't all the way packed, let me add another spoonfu, and eventually I probably added a whole 'nother cup. Now that I have a food scale the plan is to get a special ice cream bowl that is cute and small. And to weigh my servings. And no more eating straight from the carton and fooling myself into thinking I really just ate 1 cup or so.