Hoping to get started in lifting soon. Need some advice

Options
Hey guys and gals!

So I have been working out 6 days a week for about 7 weeks now and am slowly starting to incorporate some strength exericises, but I have to admit im a bit confused about whether what im doing is right etc.

Here is my usual gym routine:

1st) Machines: (i rotate legs, upper body and core, so do each twice a week)

I do machines such as seated row, lat pull down, shoulder press, leg curl .... etcetc. I normally do 6 machines and do 3 cycles of 10 reps on each (varies greatly, as im upping my weight some i only do 8 reps). I keep a track of what weight i do when, and I have been increasing every few weeks, so thats nice to see.

2nd) I understand that I need to work in more free weight exercises, but i unsure of what to do. I include walking lunges with weights, lateral raises, bicep curls, bench press, bent over rows and a few others. On these I also do 3 cycles of 8-10 reps. Then do a few planks afterwards.

3rd)Once im done with the weights I hit the treadmill and run a mile, then do the elliptical for 15mins.

So anyway as you can see im not really doing any 'heavy lifting' I havent ventured into the main weight room yet where the squat rack, leg press machine etc is.... mostly because im nervous about doing so. Im thinking about getting a trainer for 1 session to show me how to use these pieces of equipment, so it becomes a less terrifying place. Could anyone reccomend a beginners guide to getting started? I have looked up the 5x5 lifting guide, and watched a few youtube videos but figured id ask you guys what your personal favourites were for getting started.

I guess one of my main questions also is... when talking about strength training does that mean only the free weights type of lifting, or can it include the strength machines also? I was going to get a trainer when I hit 200 as a gift to myself, so would what im doing now be ok until then? Or should I start branching out now into more of the true lifting type strength exercises?

Sorry if this post sounds confused... It kinda is lol.

Replies

• gypsy_spirit
    gypsy_spirit Posts: 2,107 Member
    Options
    The best workout is the one you will do consistently. I am a lot older than you but 18 months ago I started lifting heavy and if you want something that will change your body for the better - that's it. A barbell is just plain power. It makes me feel awesome. Squats, deadlifts, bench presses, overhead presses, & rows - all good things to learn.

I have done Stronglifts and I'm using Wendlers 5/3/1 now. Find your niche. Best of luck in your goals!
  • FitnessLover001
    FitnessLover001 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Hey! I actually think you are doing great! I also do cardio (I used to do 90 min of cardio with about a 10 min weight session, and now I do about 45-60 min of cardio with a 45 min weight session three days a week, and straight cardio another three days a week with no weight session. I too use seated row, lat pull down, leg curls, leg ext, glute, etc and used to do 6x10 as well. However since I up my weights, i only do about 5 sets, with 8 reps each! So I think you are also on the right track. I use the machines more than I do free weights, but I think both are good for you, so if you want to vary it out, I think that would be good too! I also don't go to the "heavy lifting" mostly because it's crowded by wanna be macho men and I don't want to be bothered haha but I do do squats with a 45lb dumbbell and lunges, and bicep curls with about a 25lbs dumbbell.

Honestly I think you are doing great! And as long as you feel great about your workout and are sweating during weight sessions too, then you're on the right track! If it's burning, it's working--that's my motto!

Good luck! xx
  • fayefayee5
    fayefayee5 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Its working, and im feeling great. I just so many people talking about the benefits of lifting, so want to get into it. Im definitely seeing a difference in my strength, so perhaps I'll get a trainer in a few weeks and get him/her to show me the daunting weight room :P
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    5x5 is a great routine. I'd highly recommend reading starting strength (the programme in there is very similair and it has great advice on form). Getting a good trainer to give you a bit of an induction to the barbell is a good idea too, he can point out any problems for you right away.