Does cardio really suck for fat loss?

Options
124»

Replies

• MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    does cardio keep burning calories even when I'm doing nothing, or is weight lifting the only thing that can accomplish that?

Neither burn the significant levels of calories when at rest as some advocates on both sides of the debate would have you believe.

If single figure levels of calorie utilisation are important enough to you then perhaps worrying about what type of training you're doing is the wrong question.
  • MeanderingMammal
    Options
    Cardio helps with creating a deficit, but you don't have to do it if it really bothers you that much...Just start running sprints instead of 30 minutes of boring running. You can do sprints for 1/3rd the time and get a far better cardio workout.

Depends what you're trying to achieve. Sprint intervals have their place in any performance improvement plan, but on their own they're not really going to develop capacity.
  • uconnwinsnc
    uconnwinsnc Posts: 1,054 Member
    Options

His hair didn't grow a single bit in the after photo. Conspiracy much? :indifferent:
  • mschicagocubs
    mschicagocubs Posts: 774 Member
    Options
    If you like Cardio, do not stop doing it. You will still burn fat. You just might want to eliminate long cardio sessions and start lifting.

I do HIIT training on the elliptical for 10 or 15 minutes on the days I lift
    On my off days from lifting I do 30 minutes of Cardio.

I am losing fat. Just incorporate lifting in your exercise regime and up your protein!
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options
    It's all about making it interesting.

p9USmhk.gif
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I walk for cardio. I like that. All the rest.. forget it! But I do it so I increase my TDEE and can eat more too...
  • fitandfortyish
    fitandfortyish Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    It's all about making it interesting.

p9USmhk.gif

^^^^^^ impressed!
  • fitandfortyish
    Options
    I guess my question should have been worded more like....

does cardio keep burning calories even when I'm doing nothing, or is weight lifting the only thing that can accomplish that?

Increasing your VO2 Max "may" help with fat burning after your workout. That is essentially getting very sweaty doing HIIT for 20 mins. I say "may" because with all things related to fitness (weight training or cardio), it depends on how you do it, how often and at what intensity.
  • fitandfortyish
    Options

Neither burn the significant levels of calories when at rest as some advocates on both sides of the debate would have you believe.

If single figure levels of calorie utilisation are important enough to you then perhaps worrying about what type of training you're doing is the wrong question.

I like you!!! ^^^
  • 7times2kindagirl
    7times2kindagirl Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Cardio helps with creating a deficit, but you don't have to do it if it really bothers you that much...Just start running sprints instead of 30 minutes of boring running. You can do sprints for 1/3rd the time and get a far better cardio workout.

Depends what you're trying to achieve. Sprint intervals have their place in any performance improvement plan, but on their own they're not really going to develop capacity.

Love this!!!!

If you want to loose fat, you have to have muscle to burn that fat. Ultimately, you need to do strength training to loose more fat. And to loose fat, you must eat healthy fats and proteins and less carbs. Yes, cardio will get you in shape and increase your VO2max, but what is your goal? You said to loose fat. You really need to know what your cardio zones are; this will really help figure out when you burn the most fat vs. carbs. Doing more intense cardio once a week will help strengthen your zones and hopefully increase them so that you burn more fat; but when you do this you are probably in the carb burning zone. Some people can run for 30 min and continually burn fat, others must do low impact/more weights to continually burn fat. Have you completed a zone test? That might want to be where you start!
  • Kimsoontobe
    Kimsoontobe Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    I guess my question should have been worded more like....

There is a small after burn effect from cardio exercise (both steady state and HIIT) but it's negligible.
    Adding muscle mass will increase your body's every day calorie burn but again it's a tiny, tiny effect.

It does sound like you are desperately trying to get something for nothing - life doesn't work like that I'm afraid!
  • IUSE2BAHEAVYHITTER
    IUSE2BAHEAVYHITTER Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I love cardio but I agree, it can get SO boring!! What i have found, is instead of doing 30 or 45min of cardio on one machine, mix it up! Sometimes I do 15min on one machine, 15min on another, and 15min on another to get my cardio in. Take note, since it's only 15min on the machine instead of 45, go as hard as you can in those 15 min. That way it won't be so boring, since you know you'll be switching it up in 15min!
  • aaronlawrenc
    aaronlawrenc Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    rule1cardio.gif
  • beltrone
    beltrone Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Cardio is also part of active healthy lifestyle. Its great for blood and lymph circulation. Your skin will glow and clear of acne, and your brain memory will be great. Walk minimum 30 minutes daily. Its also a mood stabilizer. Walking also gets rid of fat from areas near neck and lower abs. It will also lift the butt, give it rounder shape.

Standing, casually walking instead of sitting on backside whole day is healthy habit. Cardio is good for endurance and retaining youth.

You can walk in home while doing household chores or near home with children or pets. I recommend not to use fancy cardio equipment in gym. You will damage your joints in longer run. Stick with natural methods. Remember its a lifestyle change, walk to nearest grocery store, wak to nearest park etc etc.
  • andit001
    andit001 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    no, but it's good if you want to eat more lol

/signed :D

It's correct that a calorie deficit makes you loose weight. 90% though is about what you eat, because it's easy to do a lot of cardio and/or other exercises and still eating more calories a day than you spend with your daily activities.

So, first and foremost to loose weight you need to eat in a way which gives you a calorie deficit each day. And to be more healthy you can throw in some exercising (doesn't really matter what it is), this will give you more calorie for the days you're doing it.

As an example:

If you can eat 1600 calories a day, first you buy a digital scale with a tare button if you don't have one already. Start measure your food and be sure to stick to those 1600 calories a day. -> You will loose weight.

Then you might add in some exercising on some days, add those calories spent to your MFP account, too. If you did exercises for about 300 calories, you can eat 1900 calories on that day and still keep loosing weight. I often love those days, because those are those days where I can eat a Döner Kebab or something like this and I'm still losing weight. That's a nice feeling :D

Now, as everyone sees. You can loose weight without exercising and in fact 90% of your weight loss is dependend on what you eat and not on exercising. But exercising will help you to get fit and to have more to eat which can be a big motivation!

HF
  • MsPrncss
    MsPrncss Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I hate doing cardio.. repeat.. HATE IT. boring!! and I'm hearing that it's not contributing much to my weight loss anyway... true?
    cus I do cardio most days and if its not even contributing then maybe I shouldn't be

I started my treadmill 3 night ago and loss about 4.5 pounds and the only thing I changed was doing my treadmill again. Don't give up!
  • MeanderingMammal
    Options
    And to be more healthy you can throw in some exercising (doesn't really matter what it is),

Different types and modes of exercise have different effects, so it does matter what it is.