Help recovering from a two-day binge

Options
This past week I indulged in several Fat Tuesday celebrations on both Monday and Fat Tuesday itself. Since I am giving up any kind of sweets for Lent, I thought, "What the heck! I've been doing so well lately that I might as well treat myself!"
I still exercised both of those days but I didn't eat good AT ALL! I didn't even count calories (I had crunch doughnuts and a strawberry doughnut, some brownies, some oreo and chips ahoy cookies, a lot of milk and a whole box of girl scout cookies...and that was all within two days!)
I knew that I would be a bit heavier, but I wasn't expecting to the scale to say I gained 4 whole pounds! Is that true? I've been eating better than usual since Wednesday and stepping up my workout routine, but the number has only gone down by less than a pound. I had just broken a plateau and now I am heavier than before my plateau!
When I reach that weight again, will I plateau again?
How long until this temporary weight sheds off?
It's making me slightly nervous to see this number on the scale, especially since I have done so much hard work to get here!
Please help me as much as you can; I greatly appreciate it. I need to get back to my weight before this two day extravaganza so any tips you can offer is amazing!

Replies

• neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,020 Member
    Options
    You'll hit another plateau when you miscalculate your calories again.
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    I'm gonna guess you are going to take a pretty big poop soon, so that should help.

Seriously though...I know you are looking for real help, but there isn't any. Just move on. This isn't the last time this will happen in your life and you can't punish yourself each time.
  • laurie04427
    laurie04427 Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    Drink a lot of water and just start over. I find the more I eat sweets the more I crave them so just expect to suffer a few days. Don't weigh yourself again for a bit so you don't get discouraged. At least your catching yourself now.
  • 1stday13
    1stday13 Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    Just remember, it takes 3500 calories to gain a pound or lose a pound. Unless you ate 14000 extra calories in those couple of days it is not a permanent gain. Don't weigh for a while. Just keep eating healthy and track your calories faithfully. You should see a loss soon.:smile:
  • TX_Rhon
    TX_Rhon Posts: 1,549 Member
    Options
    I'm sure its mostly water weight. Get back to tracking and counting calories correctly and brush it off.

The attitude of "i'm giving up sweets so might as well just go overboard" is what is holding you down. I related to this at one time. This kinda of "justification" hurts weight loss.

Good luck :flowerforyou:
  • littleburgy
    littleburgy Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    Don't worry about it. Some weeks are just a mess. Mine kind of was. But these things don't affect you over time as long as your habits are generally good.
  • positive714
    Options
    Thank you all for the kind, funny, and encouraging words!
    I'm just chalking it up to one of those weeks. I'm very happy that I've decided to be back on track now; I've decided that after Lent I will allow myself one cheat meal a week! Thank you all again :)
  • cingle87
    cingle87 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    You'll hit another plateau when you miscalculate your calories again.

This, personally Im not a believer in the whole plateau thing, its just a miscalculation in calories in or out.

But to answer your origonal question, it is highly unlikely you ate 14,000 calories above your tdee over those 2 days, to gain a pound of fat you have to eat roughly 3500 calories extra, you may have easily gain 1 maybe 2 pounds if you was really going for it, now how long will it take to come off? impossible to tell, might take 2 days, might take a whole week, just get back on track and then ignore the scale for a week or 2 and the what was water weight should have come off.