Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

low carb diet??

hi guys.

i was told to cut down on carbs in my diet. but i don't understand how it can help.

what i mean is, MFP app computed that i should eat 1,700 kcal/day in order to lose 1.5 lbs/week.

>> does this mean that regardless of the ratios of the macronutrients i take, as long as they all sum up to 1,700 kcal/day, i get to lose about 1.5 lbs/week? <<

i am always under my caloric limit everyday, but i noticed that there are some days that fat has the greater proportion in the pie graph (sometimes going as much as 30-40%), and carbs sometimes only account for 20-30% or so (since i don't eat rice or bread).

people said i will not have the energy to do may daily work and exercise since i don't eat carbs, but i don't feel weak at all.

Replies

• gypsy_spirit
    gypsy_spirit Posts: 2,107 Member
    If you stay in a calorie deficit (weighing/measuring all food) you will lose weight. Meeting your macros is all about taking care of your body through nutrition.

By nature, I do not eat a lot of carbs. I never have. So, for me, cutting back on just carbs will not have any effect on me - except I do not have the energy needed to fuel my lifting and running.
  • FIT_Goat
    FIT_Goat Posts: 4,224 Member
    Who told you to cut down on carbs? What purpose do you believe it will serve? What is your new macro goal for carbs (%)?

The exercise thing is a persistent myth (outside of extreme exercise routines). Once your body adapts to lower carbs, you'll be back where you were in exercise ability. The transition can be a little rocky though. Some people cycle carbs in preparation for certain types of exercises.

Also, don't do super-high on protein out of fear of the fat. Low-carb + Low-fat is usually a recipe for a bad time. Pick one but not both.

I'm a VLC (very low carb) eater, myself, but I don't believe it is necessary for weight loss. I eat that way because I feel better when doing it, and I find that it is something I enjoy and find sustainable. I'm not someone who thinks everyone should automatically go low-carb or that low-carb is a magic solution for weight loss. You should have other reasons for doing it than believing it's a magic bullet for losing lots of weight. If you go low-carb or not, if MFP has correctly calculated your TDEE and deficit, you will lose 1.5 lbs a week eating 1,700 calories.