MFP calculation

Options
Ok I am using MFP and its calculated calories to eat. I have about 30 lbs I want to lose, so I set my goals at 0.5 calories to lose and it gives me 1620 cals to eat...I know if I set it at 1 lb I can eat back some calories of my exercise , can I still eat a bit of my exercise calories or should I stick to just 1620...

today I can eat 1620 cals
my exercise burned 664 cals this alone my NET will be 956 for the day...should I NET 1620 + 664 = 2284

******** I have a fitbit flex which I want to use , how do I set my goals on MFP...or do I leave it as is or should I use sedentary and ask for 1 lb lost

Replies

• DrJenO
    DrJenO Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    If you are absolutely confident in your calorie burn (as in, you used a good heart rate monitor) and in your intake tracking (weighed/measured all foods), then you can eat all the calories back.

MFP tends to overestimate calorie burns, so if you used that to log your exercise calories, I might only eat about half of them back.
  • sargessexyone
    sargessexyone Posts: 494 Member
    Options
    You want your NET to be 1620. So if you eat 1620 exercise 664 your net would be 956. You need to eat more.

1620 (intake) - 664 (exercise = 956 (NET)

That is my understanding anyway. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong :)
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    Weight loss takes a whole lot of trial & error to find what works for you. Your goal should be to find the maximum number of calories at which you lose weight, not the minimum. So eat back your exercise calories for two weeks, then reevaluate. If you lose, great! If you don't, eat back half your exercise calories.

Read this: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
  • scorpio3322
    scorpio3322 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    thank you for your response and I will eat only half as we are never 100% sure of burned calories..I use the reading on my equipment
  • craftywitch_63
    craftywitch_63 Posts: 829 Member
    Options
    If you are absolutely confident in your calorie burn (as in, you used a good heart rate monitor) and in your intake tracking (weighed/measured all foods), then you can eat all the calories back.

MFP tends to overestimate calorie burns, so if you used that to log your exercise calories, I might only eat about half of them back.

^^This.

Because of the overestimated calorie burns, I use other websites to calculate calories burned. I also went to Scooby TDEE calculator and got the number of calories I should eat daily and use that as a hard-and-fast number.(I log calories burned ONLY for my information.) Scooby's number is quite a bit bigger than MFP's (Scooby 1675 vs. MFP 1320) but I can eat 1675 on days when I work out AND days when I don't - no guesswork. Because if my physiology and ED it works better for me (and there's less math involved - LOL).

Good luck!:flowerforyou: