Borderline overweight and embarassed to go jogging outside!

Options

Replies

• _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    I started running outside at 300 pounds with a. Bmi of over 40. If you with about others you'll never do anything.
  • missomgitsica
    missomgitsica Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    I'm a lot bigger than you and I run outside. (Not for awhile now because of cold weather). Either go when it's a little dark out, or find a trail or something where you're not going to be exposed to people driving by.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    Find a running group. Either run with them or at least check them out and see for yourself. People of all shapes and sizes show up every week at mine.
  • Phaedra2014
    Phaedra2014 Posts: 1,254 Member
    Options
    Be proud of yourself and jog with confidence. Don't shame yourself this way.
  • Phaedra2014
    Phaedra2014 Posts: 1,254 Member
    Options
    Find a running group. Either run with them or at least check them out and see for yourself. People of all shapes and sizes show up every week at mine.

Great suggestion! That is exactly what helped me. I love my running group and I've become so much better at it.
  • kathyhettlinski
    Options
    My fat *kitten* runs and I don't give a **** what other people think. I went from 305# down to 224#.
  • JenniTheVeggie
    JenniTheVeggie Posts: 2,474 Member
    Options
    Who cares? I certainty don't! Better then sitting on the couch, right?
  • So_Much_Fab
    So_Much_Fab Posts: 1,146 Member
    Options
    I've never been terribly heavy, but do you know what I think when I see a "heavy" person that's out running and/or walking?

"That person is AWESOME!"

Carry on. :drinker:
  • joanthemom8
    joanthemom8 Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    I used to be that way (and in some situations I still struggle with that), but as someone had a quote to the effect that we'd actually be surprised to find out how little time other people spend thinking about us. Just think of yourself.......how much do you think of people you see out and about? Anyway, they are strangers and chances are you'll never see them again...so go for it!
  • EvenThatNameIsTaken
    EvenThatNameIsTaken Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    The truth is, most people really don't care what you're doing, they are too wrapped up in their own insecurities to worry about you :P

My BMI is 32, I run without shame or embarrassment.

As someone else posted.... get over it :P by doing it!
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    A year and a half ago, I was 40 pounds overweight. I was 215, obese and could barely run for thirty seconds. I was so ashamed, but I did it. I got out there and learned to run. I found that the only person with a negative judgement about what I was doing was me.

Here:
    http://flintland.blogspot.com/2012/05/hey-fat-girl.html
  • Aeramis13
    Aeramis13 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Girl, you got this. Doesn't matter what anyone else thinks. Period. If you want this and you think this is a great way to get there, then DO IT.

I've only heard of a few real life moments where *kitten* ever said anything about one of us "fatties" running outside, but even if it happens to you, you've gotta realize that you're more than what anyone sees while you run and do this FOR YOU. Do you want to feel healthy? Do you think running will help get you there? DO IT!.

I was surprised a few months ago, when I started with a new trainer. I asked him if I ran funny at all (I was on a treadmill in the gym) and he was like, "Actually, yeah, you kinda do." I asked him if it seemed like anything that would affect me negatively and he gave me a solid 'no" at which point I said, "Well that's fine. I've spent too many years KNOWING that I looked 'bad' by being significantly overweight. I'm cool with looking stupid while working out if it means I get to my goal and am happy with myself physically." He said he'd never heard anything like that before, but I stand by it. I'm totally cool with looking like an *kitten* while kicking my own *kitten* - it means I won't be so self conscious the rest of the time lol
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options
    I've run when I weighed nearly 220 lbs and I've run 8 months pregnant and I've run lean... if I see any other runner out there of any shape or size I give them a smile and a wave on the road. Everyone goes at a different pace anyway. It's not like if you're slimmer you go faster and if you're heavier you go slower. Not always. I'm a pretty big girl and can go faster than some runners much smaller than I am. That's the beauty of running - you're usually only in competition with yourself.

Just get out there and do it!
  • salvesol
    salvesol Posts: 15
    Options
    Thank you everyone for your answers! It's not like I don't know I shouldn't care, but it really helps to hear it from you.
    I think it's great that you all go out there and run, regardless of what other people might (or might not!) think.
    I think my problem has more to do with my self-confidence than my weight. I am very self conscious and for example, when I hear people laughing, I ask myself if they are laughing at me. Is that what you mean by "vanity issues"?
    I went for a walk to see where I could run, and there were a LOT of different people running, and nobody seemed to care. I might give it a try later today.
    Running with a group would probably no work for me, I like exercising alone and at my own pace.
    Thank you again for the encouragement!
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    I'm 45 years old, a fairy new runner, and I run on a college campus. If I can do it, you can do it. :tongue:

Who cares what other people think - you're not out there for them, you're doing this for you. Get yourself some running clothes that you like and that make you feel awesome, then go run, and feel more awesome for doing it!
  • fittestpal
    fittestpal Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    When I see someone jogging I think "good for them that's what I need to be doing" people that have negative opinions shouldn't matter to you anyway. You think their habits are perfect? Be foreal
  • huneydrop
    huneydrop Posts: 84
    Options
    I remember seeing this overweight woman running every morning in the summer and I always thought how awesome she is, a negative comment never entered my mind......
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone for your answers! It's not like I don't know I shouldn't care, but it really helps to hear it from you.
    I think it's great that you all go out there and run, regardless of what other people might (or might not!) think.
    I think my problem has more to do with my self-confidence than my weight. I am very self conscious and for example, when I hear people laughing, I ask myself if they are laughing at me. Is that what you mean by "vanity issues"?
    I went for a walk to see where I could run, and there were a LOT of different people running, and nobody seemed to care. I might give it a try later today.
    Running with a group would probably no work for me, I like exercising alone and at my own pace.
    Thank you again for the encouragement!

I wouldn't call it "vanity issues." I'd call it being 23. By the time you hit 32, you will stop caring about other people. However, that's a long time to wait to run outside. Start now. Be a hottie when you are 32.
  • kmalacho
    kmalacho Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Splurge on really cute work out clothes.

The majority of people will think you're awesome for getting out there. The other people will keep their comments to themselves. Even if I'm slow and jiggly, I enjoy the outdoors and my music, and think I'm a baller for being a runner at all.
  • faelight
    faelight Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    The low self confidence will turn into great self confidence and healthy pride the more you get out there and do it :) Trust me :)