Only fruit&veggies during day w/ protein @ night

Options

Replies

• F00LofaT00K
    F00LofaT00K Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    A bigger apple is about 100 calories, same for a medium pear and a medium-large banana. If you have those in a day, there's 300 calories that you aren't counting. Why not just plan ahead to meet your calorie goals or average out your calories as a weekly number instead of getting bent out of shape over being under/over on some days? Where are you getting your fat? Are you getting enough protein? Do you pay attention to your macronutrient goals (fat/protein/cabr)? Yes, any caloric deficit will cause weight loss, but it is important to give your body enough fat for proper hormone and organ function and protein to build and repair all of your cells and support your muscle while you lose weight. I'm sure this is working for your weight loss, but it doesn't sounds very healthy or sustainable. Do you plan on eating this way for the rest of your life? If not, seriously consider taking the time to learn how you DO want to eat for life and then do it.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    OP, maybe just do searches or start a new thread. I suspect we'll get more posts from people who won't bother to read your follow up response and questions but just preach in response to your first post
  • Joanne_happygramma
    Joanne_happygramma Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    You need protein throughout the day. Carbs and especially protein are the fuel you need to keep your body going. Unless you want your brain and body to shut down slowly, make sure you have a balanced meal at breakfast, lunch and dinner. Log everything, it is work but it becomes easier the longer you do it.
  • SharonNehring
    SharonNehring Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    Please do some research about nutrition. Fruits and veggies can have a LOT of calories, especially if you're eating starchy ones like potatoes, corn and bananas. You can eat way over your cal limit on these alone.

The minimum calories rule of thumb is 1200/day. You really must add more protein/cals into your plan or you'll be in starvation mode and losing muscle instead of fat.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    First - is that 500 to 800 a day? If yes, then you should at least be netting 1200….especially if you are working out..
    two - fruits and vegetables count as calories…(they are not negative calories or zero calories)
  • ndj1979
    Options
    Veggies DO count and fruit is not low in calories ans natural sugars but sugars none the less. Sugars make glucose that triggers the body to store fat.

Every thing counts. Moderation is key.

more sugar alarmism….sigh...
  • ndj1979
    Options
    Thanks for all the responses everyone. When I stated a daily total of 500-800 calories, that was including the fruit and veggies. I can't figure out how to balance out meals so that I come up to a healthy amount of calories and feel satisfied, I guess I was hoping that my fruit and veggie trick would be an easy way out for me :(

Does anyone have any tips for what to eat and when throughout the day so that I can meet both the nutritional specs and calories (1,500) I need everyday?
    Right now I'm not very active, I'm a marketing director which is the typical 9-5 desk job. Within the next few weeks I plan on getting a gym membership and starting to workout almost every night after work.

Any tips or info is greatly appreciated!

Also any ideas of quick and healthy meals/snacks that I can easily take to work would be awesome!

my diary is open so feel free to take a look …

Are you restricting certain foods which is causing you to eat so little? Remember, there are no "good" and "bad" foods, there is just food that you use for energy. So do not avoid bread, pasta, etc, just because you think it is bad, because these foods are calorie dense and they will help you get to 1500 a day …or have a serving of ice cream for dessert, that is 230 calories right there…

As for the gym membership - I would recommend picking up a copy of new rules of lifting for woman, or starting strength to get some ideas for a heavy lifting program built around compound movements…
  • TX_Rhon
    TX_Rhon Posts: 1,549 Member
    Options
    Veggies DO count and fruit is not low in calories ans natural sugars but sugars none the less. Sugars make glucose that triggers the body to store fat.

more sugar alarmism….sigh...

No doubt. The concern is the very low cal count in her diet - not the sugar from the friggin' fruit!!!

OP - you have been given some great advice. I hope you take the time learn about healthy!!
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options

Insulin is a fat storage hormone.
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    Options
    Thanks for all the responses everyone. When I stated a daily total of 500-800 calories, that was including the fruit and veggies. I can't figure out how to balance out meals so that I come up to a healthy amount of calories and feel satisfied, I guess I was hoping that my fruit and veggie trick would be an easy way out for me :(

Does anyone have any tips for what to eat and when throughout the day so that I can meet both the nutritional specs and calories (1,500) I need everyday?
    Right now I'm not very active, I'm a marketing director which is the typical 9-5 desk job. Within the next few weeks I plan on getting a gym membership and starting to workout almost every night after work.

Any tips or info is greatly appreciated!

Also any ideas of quick and healthy meals/snacks that I can easily take to work would be awesome!

Breakfast: Smoothies (add flax or chia seeds), eggs, oatmeal, cream of wheat

Lunch: Sweet potato + protein + veggies (other days you can switch out the sweet potato for rice)

Dinner: Avocado + protein + veggies (try quinoa on days you want a change)

Snacks: Nuts, veggies, celery sticks with nut butter, cheese sticks, greek yogurt with berries (add flax or chia seeds)
  • caroldavison332
    caroldavison332 Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    How about hard boiling eggs for a week day protein pick up. Or scramble one. Or peanut butter on oatmeal or fruit or veg. On a less than 1200 calorie diet your body learns to survive on starvation input but you won't loose weight.
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options

Oh lawd, All carbs make glucose, even protein can make glucose
  • motivatedmartha
    motivatedmartha Posts: 1,108 Member
    Options
    Add some people who are happy to have their food diary open to friends - it's a very useful way of getting ideas as to the different ways of structuring your eating during the day. Some people have huge breakfasts and smaller meals - some have no breakfast and a big dinner. Find a way that suits your lifestyle. It's a good way of collecting meal ideas and seeing how you can better balance your macros eg eating enough Protein is an issue for me so I gather ideas about protein rich menus.
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options

I like how this is the one thing some people latch on to about insulin
    http://www.ericcressey.com/understanding-insulin
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

This is a good one also. http://weightology.net/weightologyweekly/?page_id=319
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

How do you store fat on a caloric deficit?
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    veggies and fruits do count, so you are eating more than 500 to 800 calories. And a lot of fruits actually have a lot of calories. A banana has about 100 or more, watermelon has quite a lot, so do avocados...
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    Options

Considering I have insulin resistance, I know what I'm talking about.

The more insulin you have floating around, the bigger your stomach is going to get.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

The more insulin you have floating around, the bigger your stomach is going to get.

Did you even read the links?

Answer me this...how do you store fat in a caloric deficit.

Also, why are you assuming that everyone is insulin resistant, even if that did cause you to store fat, which it does not at a deficit?
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    Options

No, no you do not.

Oh right, I forgot. You know me so well!