Not enough calories due to medication..help!

Options
Hi all,
I just started this journey a few weeks ago and I'm already down 16 pounds! However, I was recently diagnosed with adult ADHD and put on concerta. I know I need at least 1200 calories a day, but the medication suppresses my appetite so much I am only consuming 700-900 per day. I drink the coffee/butter/coconut oil in the morning as it is high in fat and calories and easy for me to drink. I am currently in ketosis (vegetarian style), and it has been very beneficial for my weight loss/well-being, but lately I have been getting dizzy/anxious/light headed due to the lack in calories. The problem is I just can't stomach food because of the meds. Do I just add butter/coconut oil to the food I can get down? I will not break ketosis as I feel better limiting my carbs..protein is mid-level, fat intake is high.

Any help/pointers from those of you on similar medications or circumstances would be very helpful!
Please don't reply if you are just going to tell me to break ketosis :)

Replies

• editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    Peanut butter, avocado, eggs.
  • SharonNehring
    SharonNehring Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    You need a few calorie dense foods to add without filling you up too much. I love peanut butter and nuts. Raisins, dates and dried apricots are high too. Coconut milk with protein powder and peanut butter or fruit would make a good smoothie. Drinking calories does not fill you up as much as eating them typically.

Just to a google search on calorie dense foods to find other ideas.