Surgery and can't exercise ?!!

Options
Hi guys , so I'm havin nose surgery at the end of this month and have been told I can't exercise after it for 6 weeks! I really concerned ! I love exercising plus I'm scared in going to end up gaining weight as a relie on my exercise calories to create my calorie deficit ! Does anyone have any advice / or similar experience ?

Replies

• Rhozelyn
    Rhozelyn Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I'm sure you can walk after nose surgery.
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    You'll be able to walk and just adjust your calories accordingly. You say you rely on your exercise calories for the deficit. As you have a small amount to lose my guess is you have too aggressive of a weekly loss set. Adjust your goals to .5 Ib and you'll get a more realistic calorie guide. If your unable to stick to this just set yourself on maintenance while you recover
  • Springfield1970
    Springfield1970 Posts: 1,945 Member
    Options
    You'll be able to walk and just adjust your calories accordingly. You say you rely on your exercise calories for the deficit. As you have a small amount to lose my guess is you have too aggressive of a weekly loss set. Adjust your goals to .5 Ib and you'll get a more realistic calorie guide. If your unable to stick to this just set yourself on maintenance while you recover

I'm laughing at your post because in my head I've got the 'Smash Alien' voice on.....hahaha!!! Good memories.
  • Springfield1970
    Springfield1970 Posts: 1,945 Member
    Options
    Hi guys , so I'm havin nose surgery at the end of this month and have been told I can't exercise after it for 6 weeks! I really concerned ! I love exercising plus I'm scared in going to end up gaining weight as a relie on my exercise calories to create my calorie deficit ! Does anyone have any advice / or similar experience ?

I'm not a doctor, but it's going to need to heal and that'll be more difficult if you're in deficit. I'd have some days now eating at maintenance to get used to it. I have the same problem with disliking the little amount of food on no exercise days but it's good training and discipline and makes big food days even more fun! Good luck!
  • rianne04
    rianne04 Posts: 51
    Options
    Sometimes light exercise are recommended (such as walking) than complete bed rest but it totally depends on how you feel after the surgery and what kind of surgery you are having.
  • wannakimmy
    wannakimmy Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    I agree with fatdoob, if you are concerned, set your goals to maintenance until you are able to begin some type of exercise. Nobody ever said this would be easy. You will have challenges in this new lifestyle of yours. Stay strong, Don't let this be your excuse to fail. You can do this!
  • SarahBethS
    SarahBethS Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    DO NOT LISTEN TO PEOPLE ON HERE SAYING "YOU CAN WALK" because you are NOT supposed to get your heart rate up. They are NOT doctors, DO NOT LISTEN TO THEM. Walking around the house to get from point A to Point B is fine and encouraged to prevent blood clots, but when the say "no exercise" they mean NONE. I had a nose job in 2012 and the reason they tell you not to exercise is because getting your heart rate up will cause swelling and possibly cause bleeding. If the Dr. says you can work out then work out, but my Dr. specifically told me NO exercise, NO straining and NO bending over for 6-8 weeks. Set your MFP to maintenance and go with that if you're concerned about gaining weight. Do not push yourself because you are scared to gain weight.

Good luck on your surgery!!!
  • SarahBethS
    SarahBethS Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    DO NOT LISTEN TO PEOPLE ON HERE SAYING "YOU CAN WALK" because you are NOT supposed to get your heart rate up. They are NOT doctors, DO NOT LISTEN TO THEM. Walking around the house to get from point A to Point B is fine and encouraged to prevent blood clots, but when the say "no exercise" they mean NONE. I had a nose job in 2012 and the reason they tell you not to exercise is because getting your heart rate up will cause swelling and possibly cause bleeding. If the Dr. says you can work out then work out, but my Dr. specifically told me NO exercise, NO straining and NO bending over for 6-8 weeks. Set your MFP to maintenance and go with that if you're concerned about gaining weight. Do not push yourself because you are scared to gain weight.

Good luck on your surgery!!!