what am i doing wrong ????

Options
cannlo
cannlo Posts: 14 Member
I have a lot of weight to loose - i have already lost 21lbs and am now 250lbs (still a long way to go) but for the past 4 weeks i have lost nothing :( i am currently eating aprox 1200 calories per day (i am 5ft 6 female) but nothing seems to be happening - i don't feel i should cut my calories any further. i do some walking each day - but surely at my weight i should still be loosing weight easily ?????? Help what am i doing wrong sad :

Replies

• wannakimmy
    wannakimmy Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    It could be you aren't eating enough. What does MFP say you are supposed to be eating?
  • skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,141 Member
    Options
    Yes and at your weight you should be able to eat alot more and still lose weight.
  • mfp2014mfp
    mfp2014mfp Posts: 689 Member
    Options
    If you average out your last 7 days you are eating around 1040 cals a day. I cant offer you any advice as to why you're not losing based on those numbers. But I do think you should ask yourself is what you're doing even feeling healthy or sustainable? Because unless you find a way that is you wont stick to it anyways. Do you want to lose weight by hardly eating, or do you want to be healthy, and by virtue of being healthy lose weight?
    For me I have lost about 15 pounds in 9 weeks eating around 1800 cals a day with 45 minutes swimming and a desk job, with a staring weight of 245 pounds. I guess what I'm saying is I dont know why you're not losing but I do know that you dont have to eat like that to get where you want to be going.
  • cannlo
    cannlo Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the advice - seems like i have been my own worse enemy - and the bonus is i need to eat more :happy:
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    You're eating more than you think. A quick look at your diary and I can see some obvious ones. You have cups of Chicken. How much does that actually weigh? The amount of chicken you can fit into a cup depends on how finally you chop it. Also salad cream you say 3 grams I think that's unlikely as 3 grams is hardly a spec. How much is actually in a 'bowl' of bran flakes. 6 ml of Sweet chili sauce I find that amount unlikely. Homemade spaghetti bolognaise is that your recipe? If not it's unlikely to be accurate. There are so many more of your entries that I really think do not look accurate. Weigh and measure everything make sure you use accurate entries off the database. Once you have an accurate idea of what you're eating you can then move from there. Good luck
  • lemonsnowdrop
    lemonsnowdrop Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    I don't believe that eating less will ever make you stop losing weight. As another user mentioned, you're probably underestimating portions.
  • DisneyPrincess1995
    Options
    Hey theres First of all well done with your weight loss so far. PLease don't give up sweetheart! It appears you have a reached a plateau (meaning nothings happening) soooooo... I would suggest you up your calories just for ONE week. say 1400 everyday, then when you return to 1200 calorie routine, you'll have lost weight

How/why?.... well it speeds you metabolism up and sends it in to fat burning mode. Also, try exercise if you don't do any or trying mixing it up if you do, do some

Good Luck xxx
  • jmpurser
    jmpurser Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I would say DON'T trust the values in the food database until you check them out. Google is great for that. Just enter "Calories in broccoli" or whatever food you're after and compare those values for that entry in the food database. Some of those numbers are 100% off.
  • LaurenDanielle014
    LaurenDanielle014 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    my first month of clean eating/exercise I wasn't loosing any weight. after about 4 weeks the Lbs literally started falling off. I think I was gaining muscle, and my metabolism was adjusting. I am 5'7 also, and some days the first month I would eat less than 1200 cal - I think this actually hurt my results. Keep up what you are doing I PROMISE it will pay off just give it time and try to only weigh yourself on the scale once a week or less - it can be discouraging.. all that matters is how you LOOK and how you FEEL
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    You're eating more than you think. A quick look at your diary and I can see some obvious ones. You have cups of Chicken. How much does that actually weigh? The amount of chicken you can fit into a cup depends on how finally you chop it. Also salad cream you say 3 grams I think that's unlikely as 3 grams is hardly a spec. How much is actually in a 'bowl' of bran flakes. 6 ml of Sweet chili sauce I find that amount unlikely. Homemade spaghetti bolognaise is that your recipe? If not it's unlikely to be accurate. There are so many more of your entries that I really think do not look accurate. Weigh and measure everything make sure you use accurate entries off the database. Once you have an accurate idea of what you're eating you can then move from there.
    ^^^This.

You're underestimating your food &/or overestimating your burns. Log everything you eat & drink accurately & honestly. Weigh everything. Every thing.

Read this: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
  • missashley884
    missashley884 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    You aren't eating enough
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    You're eating more than you think. A quick look at your diary and I can see some obvious ones. You have cups of Chicken. How much does that actually weigh? The amount of chicken you can fit into a cup depends on how finally you chop it. Also salad cream you say 3 grams I think that's unlikely as 3 grams is hardly a spec. How much is actually in a 'bowl' of bran flakes. 6 ml of Sweet chili sauce I find that amount unlikely. Homemade spaghetti bolognaise is that your recipe? If not it's unlikely to be accurate. There are so many more of your entries that I really think do not look accurate. Weigh and measure everything make sure you use accurate entries off the database. Once you have an accurate idea of what you're eating you can then move from there. Good luck

this sounds about right..

OP - do you have a food scale? If not, get one and weigh/log/measure everything….
  • kimsybabii
    Options
    Feel free to add me :)
  • imjolly
    imjolly Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Taking a quick look at your diary it Looks like you are not eating enough calories. Don't eat under the 1200 calories and try to exercise more even if you just walk for a half mile. On the day you had a great burn (exercise) you didn't eat your calories back. You need fuel especially on days you work-out. Also, do you drink a lot of water?

1200 calories is already considered not a lot of calories so don't go lower than that. To lose 1 pound a week I eat 1200 calories but on workout days I eat my burned calories back. I don't weigh my self a lot but I can tell my body has changed quite a bit especially since I started lifting weights.

Good Luck, don't get frustrated. You can do this, just don't starve yourself doing it.
  • ComradeTovarich
    ComradeTovarich Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    For the people suggesting that she eat more, please read this: http://www.aworkoutroutine.com/starvation-mode/
  • kjo9692
    kjo9692 Posts: 430 Member
    Options

this sounds about right..

OP - do you have a food scale? If not, get one and weigh/log/measure everything….

It has to be this. Get a food scale ASAP. Even though eating few calories is not healthy for you, you should still be losing weight. You lose weight by creating a deficit, and if you think you are but you are not losing weight then you are underestimating the calories you are eating.
  • snuggzie
    snuggzie Posts: 1
    Options
    it's easy to underestimate how much we eat and it's really easy to forget about tiny snacks we have during days at home - even if they seem like healthy choices, the calories can still add up without us noticing!! watch secret eaters on 4od as well as it illustrates really clearly how we consume foods without really thinking about it :)

Also - don't get too down about your weight staying the same - your weight can fluctuate between 2-7 pounds weekly depending on time of the month or how much water you're drinking - sometimes weight loss will slow down and some times it will just 'drop off'; i know it's easy to get down but for the moment, think about how far you've come, be happy that you haven't put it back on and keep persevering - you can do it!
  • Rachifloon
    Rachifloon Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    For the people suggesting that she eat more, please read this: http://www.aworkoutroutine.com/starvation-mode/

THANK you for this!
  • jmv7117
    jmv7117 Posts: 891 Member
    Options

While I agree with the article, the OP does need to eat at least a minimum of 1,200 calories to nutritionally support her body. Whether or not she should eat back her exercise calories is up for debate. It is recommended if using the MFP recommendation but many are only eating part of their exercise calories back. Others eat all of their exercise calories back except 100. Personally, I don't eat all of them back. At any rate, I honestly do think that the 'starvation mode' theory is tossed around too freely as an excuse to eat more which I do feel may be bad advice but if it is working for those doing so, that's all that matters.
  • jmv7117
    jmv7117 Posts: 891 Member
    Options
    I have a lot of weight to loose - i have already lost 21lbs and am now 250lbs (still a long way to go) but for the past 4 weeks i have lost nothing :( i am currently eating aprox 1200 calories per day (i am 5ft 6 female) but nothing seems to be happening - i don't feel i should cut my calories any further. i do some walking each day - but surely at my weight i should still be loosing weight easily ?????? Help what am i doing wrong sad :

Two things could help. A food scale will help you accurately determine the number of calories you are consuming. Chances are you are eating more than you think you are. Second, a heart rate monitor can help you determine the number of calories you are burning although they aren't for calories burned weight training. A good, inexpensive alternative is to buy and use a pedometer with a goal of 10,000 steps per day. Don't worry about starting at that number just start and work your way up to that number of steps. Note that the step goal is over a 24 hour period not all in one session. The pedometer will also give you the calories burned for that session so enter that not the value MFP gives for walking. If you don't want to buy a pedometer, there are free apps that do the same thing and feed the data into MFP.