what am i doing wrong ?????

Options
cannlo
cannlo Posts: 14 Member
I have a lot of weight to loose - i have already lost 21lbs and am now 250lbs (still a long way to go) but for the past 4 weeks i have lost nothing :( i am currently eating aprox 1200 calories per day (i am 5ft 6 female) but nothing seems to be happening - i don't feel i should cut my calories any further. i do some walking each day - but surely at my weight i should still be loosing weight easily ?????? Help what am i doing wrong sad :

Replies

• yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    I have a lot of weight to loose - i have already lost 21lbs and am now 250lbs (still a long way to go) but for the past 4 weeks i have lost nothing :( i am currently eating aprox 1200 calories per day (i am 5ft 6 female) but nothing seems to be happening - i don't feel i should cut my calories any further. i do some walking each day - but surely at my weight i should still be loosing weight easily ?????? Help what am i doing wrong sad :

Good question, what are you eating ? You could open your diary. Generally speaking a higher protein / diet helps with weight loss - what's your % protein set at.
  • KeairaSedai
    KeairaSedai Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Is 1200 calories a day what MFP recommended for you? I could image that perhaps at 250lbs this may be too few calories.

Have you tried calculating your BMR with the MFP tools? BMR is the amount of calories you burn if you would do nothing all day. The basic amount of calories just to live so to speak. If you eat far below that, you may stop losing weight.

So.. what is your BMR and.. what did you set to lose a week, 2lbs? more?
  • BigTireFlipper
    BigTireFlipper Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Open your diary. You are most likely not eating enough which makes no sense to most folks just starting out. At 250 your daily intake is probably higher than 1200 calories and i'm willing to be that you are not eating back your exercise calories which means you are way below what you should be eating per day.
  • cannlo
    Options
    have opened my diary
  • KeairaSedai
    KeairaSedai Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Eat more. If I were eating your amounts of food I would be starving o.o . And I'm only 145 lbs.

Some days you don't make the 1200 goal and even then I truly believe 1200 to be too low for you. Don't be afraid to eat more to lose weight, even if it sounds counter intuitive. If you like, up it gently, first going to 1250 or 1300, then on to 1350, 1400, 1450.

Just be sure to eat those calories in healthy ways. (Not because those calories are different and will affect weight lost, but because they are better for your body)
  • cannlo
    Options
    diary open
  • cannlo
    Options
    that sound like a scary option - am scared i will put the weight i have lost back on - but i guess its worth a go - thanks
  • BigTireFlipper
    BigTireFlipper Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Oh, I might suggest getting some more carbs from sources other then highly processed flours and whatnot. Carbs from fruits are great for you. The ones from biscuits and breads are not so much. They also tend to help retain water like sodium does. :) If you are going to move to an Eat Back You Calories mode feel free to add me. Beware. I do review diary entries and provide feedback. Mine is open to my friends for comments and feedback too.
  • cannlo
    Options
    my nutritional goal set by MFP is 1290
  • GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    Options
    If you are not losing you are not currently in a calorie deficit.

I only took a quick look at your diary, but seems you use other MFP entries for meals (the Homemade entries) you do not know what that person added to their recipe, if they accurately measured it, so you have no idea if it was even remotely the calories you consumed.

Then there was this entry from this morning: Kellogg's - Branflakes, 1 bowl 107 0 1 0 300 7

A bowl is not a measurement unit, you need to weigh out your food with a digital scale. Here's a good link for you to read:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/872212-you-re-probably-eating-more-than-you-think?hl=Eating+more+than+you+think

Good luck to you
  • cannlo
    Options
    Thankyou - best dust off the scales
  • rockmama72
    rockmama72 Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    On Saturday you ate 4 rice cakes for your breakfast and a package of 3 falafels (just the patties?) for lunch? Is this correct? I see lots of similar entries. What's your energy level like?
  • GiveMeCoffee
    Options
    Thankyou - best dust off the scales

Definitely dust off the digital scale use it, log accurately and honestly. Once you get your logging corrected, then remember this weight loss does not have to be miserable so 4 rice cakes for breakfast is not necessary. Look through my diary.. I eat pizza, ice cream, salads, chicken, cookies..... and I've lost a little weight :)
  • Lorri1957
    Lorri1957 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Everyone's right, you need more calories. When your body doesn't get enough calories it will start holding onto any you put in because it thinks going into starvation mode.
  • GiveMeCoffee
    Options
    Everyone's right, you need more calories. When your body doesn't get enough calories it will start holding onto any you put in because it thinks going into starvation mode.

No ... and not everyone said she needed more calories she just needs to accurately log what she's already consuming. But please please please go do a search on starvation mode .... I don't have enough coffee in my body to go into that yet
  • rockmama72
    rockmama72 Posts: 815 Member
    Options

No ... and not everyone said she needed more calories she just needs to accurately log what she's already consuming. But please please please go do a search on starvation mode .... I don't have enough coffee in my body to go into that yet

I definitely agree that accurate tracking is the very first step. I also looked back a couple of weeks, and it seems pretty impossible, OP, that you are getting the nutrition you need for your body to function well. I saw some tiny-calorie days, and whether it's tracked accurately or not, the amount of food and the quality of food you ate on those days wouldn't provide much energy at all.
  • Velum_cado
    Velum_cado Posts: 1,608 Member
    Options

*sigh* Not this again.
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,088 Member
    Options
    I bet once you start weighing and measuring everything , you'll see a big difference!!!!!!!!!! You'll be shocked when you see how things measure out!
  • AmoreCouture
    AmoreCouture Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    Get a digital food scale and some measuring cups, and they will help you a lot. These are crucial if you want to get your calories right on here. Always check labels too.